1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress Project Black Rain: RIP 2008

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by modsquad, 14 Sep 2006.

?

What to do...

Poll closed 30 Jun 2007.
  1. Finish the machine entirely:

87 vote(s)
    91.6%
  2. Finish the case mods only:

3 vote(s)
    3.2%
  3. Just go away:

5 vote(s)
    5.3%
  1. widmod

widmod Minimodder

is it real? :worried:

2. modsquad

modsquad Grease Monkey Undergraduate..

Much-thanks Bill. That means a-lot coming from you. I admire your work, and I am glad you enjoy my stuff. I can only hope IL approves!

@BlackCrown: I have to disagree. One has to be very careful with "bling". This side panel has lots. The "plain-jane" black blowholes will just disappear when all is said and done. IMHO, thats a good thing. I want the minds eye to focus on the question marks!

@widmod: A valid Question-Mark
    I promise, it is.. :thumb:
    AND--Thanks to everyone else who posted. I have to say as much as I like the side panel I am glad it is FIN. What to work on next, most-likely the 5.25" front panel. Also after playing with the LED lighting, I may change the look of the top-mount AQ reservoirs..
    Back to work ASAP.. :dremel:

3. Mino

Mino Ganzerli Mino

Mmm, the top leds are fantastic, but if you say that you are planning to change the look of the top, I'm sure that will be the best choice!

4. customh

customh conflagration.

Beautiful, mod, keep it up, it's all worth the wait with your mods!!

5. Darkened

Darkened Minimodder

See, I was right.

Nuff said :hehe:

Darkened

6. Jipa

Jipa Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

Good work m8! I'm not the biggest Indiana Larry/chopper fan, but you've really made some nice work with this case. Keep it up, I'm looking forward to seeing this one finished.

7. The_Beast

The_Beast I like wood ಠ_ಠ

looking good, hope you keep it up (I know you will)

Is it just me or does it look like IL only has 3 fingers and 1 thumb on is left hand???

8. x06jsp

x06jsp da ginger monkey!!!!

wow just read your thread from page 1 all the way through to 39!!!!! lol i had nothing better to do it must have taken me the best part of 2 hours but damn it was worth it!!!!

its no wonder people speak so highly of you!!! your work is amazing.

you are one very rich lucky b*****d!!! keep up the good work

9. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

MS, what exact barbs are you using on your pumps?

10. alpha_prime

alpha_prime What's a Dremel?

Hey MS, i have a question: Why did you use dual 120 mm and not 2 triple 120mm radiators? It seems to me they would fit, can you confirm if there's room for them?

11. DLoney

DLoney What's a Dremel?

I just spent 2hours reading from page 1.
    Beautiful work there ModSquad.

12. modsquad

modsquad Grease Monkey Undergraduate..

Aquaero VFD: I

Thanks DL.. Sorry the thread is such a long-read. BUt, it's a true "step by step" project log..
    @ Mankz: using Aqua-Computer Eheim 1046 adaptors, then- G1/8 (8/10")mm compression fittings with 11mm Alphacool locking-nuts. They allow me to use 7/16"OD tubing.. "Big smallbore".. Make sense?
    @ AP: As big as this case seems, using 3X 120mm radiators would be difficult. The rad in the belly of the case has only about 100mm-space before the start of the 1000W PC Power & Cooling PSU, that is a very long (deep) unit. As for the second radiator, I think the following update will answer that question..
    I want to use an AC Aquaero VFD for this project:
    [​IMG]
    I am a BIG fan of these units. It will allow me to monitor system-temps (6-sensors-if memory serves) , flow-rate for both pumps and h20 level in the reservoirs.. It's display is your computer's dashboard..
    The problem.. NO WAY will I cut a hole in the "ultra-clean" LL front door. In fact, this is the only mod I have planned for that area:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    mod:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I deliberated for quite some time about a location for the AC Aquaero VFD.
    This is my idea: :idea:
    The VFD will be mounted/viewed from the (left-side) of the case, through the side panel. When the machine is FIN it will sit to my right-hand side in my work/play station, so I will be able to "glance over" at the "dashboard" at anytime..
    Now, how to make it look slick. Not just a-hole cut through the side panel of the case to see the VFD.
    MY answer:
    MORE BIKER PARTS!
    [​IMG]
    A Detroit Bros. "Menace" (carb) air cleaner..
    two piece deal, but will only use the top (for now :D ):
    [​IMG]
    Machined from billet-Alu, but not ploished. I saved myself a few bucks, I will polish it myself later.
    To give U an idea of how it will work out, here is a "ruff and ready" picture of my hand holding it over the front of the AC VFD on my trusty Narcissus:
    [​IMG]
    should look something like that. :eeek:.....
    The side panel.
    I simple hole saw cut, 120mm. I have quite a collection of hole saws:
    [​IMG]
    Remember to keep your tools clean and organized like I do :hehe:
    Anyway, this is a critical-cut. The hole measures 120mm and the space between bottom of the case and divider-plate is 130mm.. Then enough room to center the VFD within the 120mm hole (about 50mm from the edge of the side panel)..
    The side panel mock-up:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    IMHO, that is looking pretty-good.. BUt, lots more to do.. The menace-cleaner needs polishing and bolts to replace those MT set-screw holes. Then a mod to the LL side panel-bottom mounting-clip, then a (small) cut-out for the divider plate ( I also need to show U how that menace-cleaner is held in place). Followed by (big-job) building/desgining a mount for the Aqua-Computer VFD itself..
    Hence, Aquaero VFD I..
    I have opened a large "can of worms" with my side-view VFD.. This will take a few updates to FIN.. :duh:
    MS

Last edited: 7 Jun 2007
  13. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

That air cleaner sticks out far too much for my liking.

I think it'll be better if you sink it in upto that funnly little lip about 15mm in.

Great as all ways!

14. Koradhil

Koradhil What's a Dremel?

I agree with Mankz

15. Dean MF

Dean MF PC Freak!

I agree too. I thin you should sink it in completely and only let the curved lines stick out. ( I hope you know what i mean)

16. x06jsp

x06jsp da ginger monkey!!!!

nioce work keep it up :thumb:

17. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

Yep, Mankz is right. Just what I was thinking. Other than that what about a black cover for the hole? Around the VFD so that you ain't able to fully view the interior of the PC.

18. Bas van der Werff

Bas van der Werff What's a Dremel?

I like the look of it :D

19. DLoney

DLoney What's a Dremel?

Dont be. It was worth every min.
    :rock:

Keep up the good work

20. alpha_prime

alpha_prime What's a Dremel?

Thanks for the answer modsquad, i really appreciate it. I agree with the other people, the cover for your fancontroller doesn't really match the rest of your case. Anyway keep on modding, this project is awesome

Tags: