1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wait or not

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by johnmustrule, 7 Jun 2007.

1. johnmustrule

johnmustrule What's a Dremel?

I've been looking at buying a computer for a long time but only now have I really become serious about actually buying one but it seems that alot of products are just over the horizon and I was thinking I should mabey wait one generation after the vista lanch and DX10 so companies can work out all the little bugs and stuff plagueing them i'ts not so much for me to wait another month mabey three pushing it, so my question is are there new products on the horizon like the next itteration of prossesors and graphics hardware or should I just buy now and stop waiting?

2. culley

culley What's a Dremel?

It sounds like your worried that your DX10 graphics card might not work so well with the current Vista drivers that our out. If you were to build your own pc then you could buy the main components and just get a crappy GFX card, then buy a better one at a later date when you sure Vista drivers will work.

3. bumfluff

bumfluff What's a Dremel?

Well aren't there meant to be big price cuts coming at the end of July, so it would be an idea to wait until then and not long after that Intel and AMD will start rolling out their new CPU lines.

4. SteveyG

SteveyG Electromodder

...and then... ...and then... ...and then...

There's never really a right time to buy PC parts. Better things will just keep on coming out. If you want to wait for a DX10 card, go ahead and buy the other parts and a £20 graphics card if you need to buy a new PC now, or wait and buy everything together. :)

5. geek1017

geek1017 What's a Dremel?

As others have said, playing the waiting game never pays off.
    Of course there isn't really much incentive to being an early adopter either.

meh...look at what you'll be doing with the computer and then buy parts that are affordable.
    If it's top end gaming that you're after then be prepared to have your rig be obsolete in 6 months when new tech is out.
    Otherwise, an e4300 or e6300 is still a good proc, PC800 RAM will still work, a 7900 or X1950 will still give good performance for the cost.

If I had a lump of cash I'd probably still wait on DX10 unless an 8800GTS was well within my budget.
    Personally, good peripherals like monitor, KB/mouse, and headphones/speakers would be my focus as they'll last you though other hardware changes.

So yes, buy what you'd be happy to afford now 'cause it's a lot better than just wishing. there's plenty of threads about affordable specs.

6. notatoad

notatoad pretty fing wonderful

now is a great time to buy a new computer. LGA775 is going to be around for a while yet, gigabyte has a p35 chipset board that supports ddr3 and ddr2 and intel's upcoming 45nm processors, intel just dropped prices at the end of april, and vista support is finally starting to come around.

7. Bluephoenix

Bluephoenix Spoon? What spoon?

Havign given advice to several friends, you'd be best buying in a couple weeks just after the price cuts. good tech will still be good, It just won't be the best anymore.

the best way to go about it is to look at what you want out of it and set that slightly higher, then buy as soon as you can squeeze the budget. doing it that way the comp should last you for at least three years, not considering any major world-shifting technology changes.

8. Anator

Anator What's a Dremel?

I agree with supertoad, now is a great time to buy a pc. The Core2Duo is the most groundbreaking processor since the Athlon XP, and they are dirt cheap to buy. PCI-Express is going to be around for quite a while, and the 8800 graphics card from nvidia is disputably as groundbreaking as the core2duo. You can also get ludicrous amounts of storage for relatively small amounts of cash.

9. Gravemind123

Gravemind123 avatar not found

It's a good time, but waiting a few weeks would make it a better time as Intel's next price cuts are going to come, then you should be able to save bundle on a new system, especially quad-cores. The Q6600 is supposed to halve in price down to $266(US).

10. trig

trig god's little mistake

the waiting game will never end. things are always on the horizon. but if you know there are going to be significant price cuts soon, then wait a cpl weeks. but unless you are wanting quad core, not any sense in waiting really.

11. will.

will. A motorbike of jealousy!

my pc (dx10 'n all) is funkydory. I've had a few crashes but I got them before so i doubt its to do with drivers.