1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Red Orchestra: Ostfront

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by BobCobb, 21 Apr 2006.

1. BobCobb

BobCobb What's a Dremel?

Has anyone here played ROOST before? It is a great new game based on a mod for UT2004. The mod team won Epic's Make Something Unreal Contest, and decided to make a retail game. I'm in love. Although it is an older engine, so the physics and graphics won't be as great, the atmosphere and gameplay more than makes up for it.

www.redorchestragame.com

Mind you this is a WW2 FPS based on the Eastern front, and it tries to be realistic as possible. I'm a big fan of realism, and if you were disappointed by COD2 you might be interested. There is tank combat, and the infantry combat is spectacular. I could rant on for quite awhile, so let me give you a review instead. :)

Unbiased review :)

It is available on Steam for $25.00 as well as most stores and is a great buy if you want to get away from cookie cutter FPSes designed for the lowest common denominator. Mind you there is a steep learning curve for this game, so it may not be for everybody. But once you get that first kill, you actually feel like your fighting a war and not just playing a game.

Heres a couple random screenshots, not even really that spectacular, but its almost time to go home :rock:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: 21 Apr 2006
  2. Ab$olut

Ab$olut What's a Dremel?

ive been wanting to get this although the maps look kinda big for the infantry whats the idea number in as server do you have to have to enjoy it fully?

3. BobCobb

BobCobb What's a Dremel?

The max number of players is 32, due to server and engine limitations. Every bullet has its own ballistics, so to add more players would seriously degrade quality and performance.

That being said, the gameplay is in no way hindered by the low player count. Most maps are fairly large, however there is usually a hotspot where you can find people. For the most part, the gameplay is slow-paced, but it is fun imo.

Think of it like real life, there are intervals of little action, followed by alot of fierce combat. Once you get used to the big maps and know your way around, it doesn't take long to find some the action.

Personally I prefer a full server, and there is always one to be had. It can still be quite fun at or below 20 players, as long as those players know what they are doing. 20 or below noobs, and it certainly distracts from the gameplay.

4. jcoquillon

jcoquillon What's a Dremel?

Just an update, the player limit has been increased, and a number of 50+ man servers exist now, for really hectic on-line battles. With time as hardware speeds increase servers should be able to reach 64 players.

It's also gotten cheaper, ($15 off steam, under £10 for a boxed copy), and there are large numbers of guest passes floating around, allowing you to give it a go when it suits you, avoiding the huge influx of new players that free weekends tend to bring. It may be well over a year since release but RO can still make it into the top few selling games on steam when an update comes out, (been 2nd or 3rd for around a week now), and the number of active players and servers still continues to grow.

So if you haven't tried it before then now is a good time to give it a go.

Tags: