1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress Project: Extreme Air - Updated: 16th October, Better Final Pics + News

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Zero_Limits, 30 May 2007.

1. Dean MF

Dean MF PC Freak!

Please do me a favour. Please take a pic of the foam "frame" next to a normal ATX case because I am struggling to picture the size of your case. (Just for reference :))

2. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

If you're looking for serious airflow you might want to look for some ducted 120V fans.
    -Like the ones from OLD xerox machines. I'm pretty sure they were brushless.

3. Zero_Limits

Zero_Limits Minimodder

Thanks for the comments guys!

Hopefully my fibreglass skills are good enough to get the job done. It as been a little while since I did any work with the stuff. Will find out soon enough.

120V could be a problem for me here as our standard mains power is 220V I think. Also might be a bit difficult to find something like that over here. Would be nice though as my current plan requires an extra power supply to run the motors. Figures crossed that the magnets aren’t to strong to effect any of the computer components!

Now time for the latest update.

I finished the other half of the centre section. That is all. Pics…..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

All the parts together (but not glued) make a complete centre section. Now I just need to trim it where the massive intake tubes join onto it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I also spent a couple of hours trying to work out what bits of foam I need to cut to make the intake tubes. I was trying to get them out of the foam I have left. Tomorrow I will be buying another bit of foam. So yea… it didn’t work.

Finally, some pics for Dean MF to get an idea on the size of the case.

Next to a disgustingly un-modded Thermaltake Tsunami Dream.

[​IMG]

In front of my screens on my very messy desk. The screen on the left is a Samsung 20” widescreen, the other two behind are 17”.

[​IMG]

Thanks again to every one who commented. Keep them comments coming please.

4. Dean MF

Dean MF PC Freak!

Excellent Work! Thanx for the pics with the size reference. I now have a better understanding of the size.

Its really gonna be excellent when completed. I so wish I had your skills!!

5. x06jsp

x06jsp da ginger monkey!!!!

makes it look sooo much bigger than it did in the otehr pics!!! looking good mod on:thumb:

6. JAxen

JAxen What's a Dremel?

WOW! Really impressive work! Good luck with thisssubscribed

7. Bas van der Werff

Bas van der Werff What's a Dremel?

That's some ******* nice foam work you got there.
    If you want 220volt fan's, why don't you use those found in a hardware store, i think they normally are used for inhouse ventilation pipes there about 100mm and 80mm in diameter and should fit in there :)

8. thechoozen

thechoozen Minimodder

looks really interesting...

9. Ultimate Gamer

Ultimate Gamer What's a Dremel?

VEERY nice work good luck!

10. thriteenthmonkey

thriteenthmonkey What's a Dremel?

awesome work, and yeah, It's a lot bigger than I was expecting

11. The_Beast

The_Beast I like wood ಠ_ಠ

wow great idea, great draw-up and great air flow

good luck

12. Zero_Limits

Zero_Limits Minimodder

Thanks very much for the comments guys, very encouraging!

Might have a look round to see what sort of fans I can get that are 240v. Would make it a lot easier as I wouldn’t need to put a second power supply in the case. My only worry would be with the magnets on a 240v motor. Any thoughts on this?

Yea It will be a big beast. Will look even bigger with the next update as I have finished shaping up the intake tubes.

Sorry about the lack of updates but I have been spending most of my time in the garage.

Will try my best to get one up tonight though :)

13. mvagusta

mvagusta Did a skid that went for two weeks.

250mm 12v 105cfm 19db fans

2 of these babies will make approx 22db of noise & 210cfm of airflow.
    just provide good intake venting at the base of case, big heatpipe heatsinks on nb, gpu & cpu and it will be a cool yet hot lookin biatch

and no problem of trying to shield massive magnets so you dont get hdd & other f-ups

other 250mm fans

Last edited: 11 Jun 2007
  14. Zero_Limits

Zero_Limits Minimodder

It is finally time for another update. Sorry about the long time between updates but I have been busy moding and sleeping.

It was time to start the intake tubes. I with some help from other staff at work I got a sheet of foam cut out to make up blocks so I could carve these bits out. With the correct tools at work this saved me a few hours / nights work. Once the layers were stuck together to make the blocks I used a template I printed to glue some mdf templates to the foam block.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I then started to cut the bulk of excess foam away with a hacksaw blade.

[​IMG]

This was taking to long and was hard on my hands… so I brought out the big guns.

[​IMG]

A few minutes later I had this.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

What seemed like for ever later h had this.

[​IMG]

And still had to get rid of all this

[​IMG]

I used the same process as on the first half and some time later I had the final part. This is it next to the block for the other side to get an idea how much foam was taken off.

[​IMG]

Next to the centre part of the case for size comparison.

[​IMG]

The next day I made the other one to match. I got a little more game with the saw before I started sanding this one, so it took about half the time to complete.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I also modified the centre section. I changed this again later as you will see in pics to come.

[​IMG]

All the parts together.

[​IMG]

I actually chopped off the bits that the screen mounted to as I decided to make them separately to simplify the case. They will still look the same as in the previous pics though.

I got another piece of foam and used the router to carve out a female mould of the screen mounts.

[​IMG]

Next I packed them full (to over flowing as you can see) of carbon fibre strands and resin. It looks like a big mess here but with a little grinding the next day once dry the result was good.

[​IMG]

I used the angle grinder on the side shown in the last pic to clean it up. After that I flipped the block over and started melting the foam away from the carbon parts using acetone. It didn’t take much to get them out (less then 100ml) Here are some pics of the acetone eating away at the foam just for fun.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The parts out.

[​IMG]

The final pic for this update. The screen mounts after a quick clean up with the file. They are actually both the same colour as the top one in the pic but for some reason the flash messed with the colour of the bottom one. I am very pleased with the strength of these. They are about 20x15mm square, I can put them against my knee and pull as hard as I can without a sign of them wanting to break. This is good news considering they are what will be holding 10kg+ of screen up.

[​IMG]

That’s all for now, more updates as I get time.

15. jokkos

jokkos too busy to mod *sigh*

that is looking very good, sir!

16. x06jsp

x06jsp da ginger monkey!!!!

looking good!! :thumb:

17. mvagusta

mvagusta Did a skid that went for two weeks.

i thought the plans looked good, but just seeing the molds mockedup is really making it take shape :rock: this thing is gonna look cool... dont make it loud :nono: the cool thing is it's an invented/unique shape :clap:

18. widmod

widmod Minimodder

great skillls
    nice carbon fibre stuff and a very special design :D

19. Dean MF

Dean MF PC Freak!

Damn I really cant wait to see this when its finished! Excellent work!!

20. wbdog206

wbdog206 not me

looking good