1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Project:Uber Silent pc 56k* warning

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by sladesurfer, 12 Jun 2007.

1. sladesurfer

sladesurfer What's a Dremel?

2. M_D_K

M_D_K Modder

Whats happening with this project and or what are you doing to the case. A little bit of text explainning what your doing would be handy.

3. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

It appears that he's trying to build a PC thats as quiet as possible.

If that was the case, why are you still using the stock Intel cooler and why are are you using a 1200W Thermaltake PSU?

4. Jipa

Jipa Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

Cable management is rather outstanding though..

5. forester joe

forester joe shhh. can you hear your PC?

right on

my thoughts exactly!

interestingly enough, it would seem that many gamers over estimate the watt demands of their system. if you try out the extreme psu calculator you may be surprised at how much power you actually need.
    I'm planning a system with a dual core CPU, 2GB RAM, 2 HDs, and a high midrange graphic card, with room to upgrade to SLI, and I still seem to be well under 400W!!!

6. keir

keir S p i t F i r e

It doesn't look very quiet at all!

7. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

lol, most 1Kw+ PSU's sound like jet engines, and well the intel stock fan is a steaming pile of **** for silence.

Not to sure on what graphics card that is or the cooler fitted to it. i first though maybe its a 8800 GTS but the built in heatpipe is running the wrong way. Is it an Arctic cooling cooler, nope as theres a heatpipe in it.

Could it be an 8600 with a massive cooler?

you need to modify it in some way to belong here.

8. widmod

widmod Minimodder

use a passive psu would be more silent 1200w seeem too much but i don't know what you'll include in your project. some sound damping mats might be handy too or hdd enclosures...ans so on :geek:

9. Mother-Goose

Mother-Goose 5 o'clock somewhere

Yeh nothing has actually happened here, you've just assembled the PC with good cable management but a MASSIVELY over-powered psu and stock cooler have been included, along with the stock gpu cooler. not that there are many after market ones yet.

10. identikit

identikit Minimodder

It looks like somebody went out of their way to make an uber noisey PC. I like the HDD silencing method, but how secure is it?

11. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

Well, from the title, it's a project, so I sit here in the hope that plans are afoot to quieten this beastie.

12. widmod

widmod Minimodder

he modded something? these silencers look quite stock with that case

13. Tulatin

Tulatin The Froggy Poster

He got the PSU cheap through work.

And like it's been said: dude, once you get your HD2900XT 1GB, away goes the silence!

14. identikit

identikit Minimodder

That's the stock HDD mounting method?! :lol:

Never seen anything like that before.

15. crazybob

crazybob Voice of Reason

For those who are confused, it appears that the hard drives are mounted not on the stock retention brackets, which do seem to have some padding, but are rather suspended by nylon string to decouple their vibrations from the case.

As others have said, it seems a shame to put that kind of effort in and then ruin it with a high-wattage power supply. I don't recognize the cooler and it's got a large fan, so I'll accept that perhaps it is quiet. As for the stock Intel cooler, it's a bit noisy but if your motherboard has automatic fan speed control it'll barely even spin most of the time.

And, I saw that someone suggested a fanless power supply. I'd avoid that if I were you; they tend to die rapidly unless your case already has some rather impressive (noisy) airflow.

16. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

The problem with the current setup of the HDD is that you can't attach the frontal bottom fans... I tried this (or maybe a thin fan would work)

BTW, this case, the Antec SOLO, has everything you need to make cable management THIS nice. Just don't open the other side panel...
    http://pages.infinit.net/eps/other_side.jpg (they are a lot of cables which my camera had a hard time to see as they are black... shame, but you get the idea)

sladesurfer, here is a trick to make the power button not only more solid, but stop from vibrating. Take a normal case screw, and screw on the back of the button. Like so: (sorry for the bad picture)
    http://pages.infinit.net/eps/powerbutton.png

Also, if you look a at a certain angle on the side of the frontal panel of the case, you can see screws... I painted them black so you really don't see them :)

For CPU fan noise, I have a Zalman fan, set to minimum speed with fan-mate, and I enabled Cool'nQuiet. In results, under idle my AMD Athlon 64 X2 4400+ S939 is at 36C, and at load 42C. At 36C the fan is stopped literary. So you get quiet when you listen to music and surf the web. Of course all my case fans are set to lowest speed, and my PSU is a corsair, as my signature mentions. You can't get quieter.

Last edited: 13 Jun 2007
  17. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

What I am surprised is that your frontal USB/audio and not connected and are beige.. mine are shiny black like the case. And the plastic texture of the frontal bay to insert a floppy or media card reader seams to have a different texture then the other plastic panel above it, not on mine, I guess its your camera.

Maybe the case differs depends on the region?!?

anyway, I see many people putting their optical drive on the second (starting from the top) slot. Why not on the first? There are plenty of room in the first one.

18. MrWizard6600

MrWizard6600 What's a Dremel?

if youd said that a few months ago i woulda flamed you.

Thermaltake has taken a huge turn for the better by signing with channel well. They've also adapted better water cooling designs (spicifically the TMG rads)

19. Heero195

Heero195 What's a Dremel?

Has anybody found out just what the point of this log is ? Where is the modding ? :wallbash: Get on with the cutting..

20. widmod

widmod Minimodder

its me the so called "somebody" :read:
    i had no expirince with these but there are semii-fanless ones too which switch their own fans on just for a few seconds.
    i wasn't confused at any time