1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Networks BT Internet Woes

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by completemadness, 13 Jun 2007.

1. completemadness

completemadness What's a Dremel?

I was wondering if anyone else on this forum has the misfortune to have BT Internet

I'm having problems, since their latest "upgrade" my service has been diabolical, not only has my max speed dropped (i used to get about 2mb, now I'm lucky to even get 1.5, usually about .5 now)
    But also, whenever i use any P2P program, the Internet just crawls to a halt, worse then Dial up
    If i ping google.co.uk, before i use any P2P program, i get about 42ms, a perfectly acceptable latency, but when i use a P2P program, i get 5000-10,000ms response times, this is terrible, before the "upgrade" it might have gone up to about 60ms, but nothing more then that, and the Internet was perfectly usable

Is anyone else getting this problem, i mean my P2P isn't even limited to bittorrent, X-Fire uses a P2P download system, and so does WoW, and if either activate my Internet connection just plain dies pretty much (it takes about 5 Min's to load any page)

Thanks for any input here, I'm trying to hold off calling BT and yelling so much that ... well you see where I'm going here

2. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

Could be your ISP throttling P2P data.

Some clients let you encrypt it.

3. completemadness

but firstly, their not just throttling P2P data, they are throttling the whole connection, to the point it is completely unusable (trying to download results in about 5KB/s) and I'm not even talking about downloading at ultra speeds of P2P, just like 5KB/s

Secondly, i cant encrypt X-Fire data, there's no option for it, and all the stuff I'm downloading off X-Fire is legit (IE, game patches)

4. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

Yeah, the throttling affects the entire connection by the way it';s implemented. If you can use it fine outside of peak hours 2pm-midnight normally

5. yodasarmpit

yodasarmpit Modder

Have you checked your upload speeds when using P2P, your upload may be over saturated slowing down your overall connection.
    Most P2P applications have an option to limit the upload speed.

6. woodshop

woodshop UnSeenly

I know this is my case, i got a rated 512k up, however if i go over 20-30k then bam, might as well switch to the 56k dialup.

7. completemadness

tried another file

Downloading at 11KB/s, uploading at 0KB/s
    ping time went from 42ms to 4000+

this is ridiculous, hell even opening this page on bit-tech caused a ping spike of 1200, and while trying to play a HL1 mod every few mines my ping would spike to 1500

My Internet is currently completely unusable
    [​IMG]
    There's my Internet usage for the last day, between about 00:00 and 09:00 have been the only times the Internet was usable, as you can see even though the upload has quite possibly been maxed, even during the times it hasn't been maxed out the connection has been completely crap

Edit:
    Started downloading the BTBBH tool from BT, it started at 16KB/s and the ping shot up to 4000, and the speed is still dropping, currently at 13KB/s
    Apparently this 36MB file is going to take over 40mins to download

Last edited: 13 Jun 2007
  8. Atomic

Atomic Gerwaff

Phone your ISP up, don't mention P2P but say that you can't play WoW

9. BioSniper

BioSniper Minimodder

Is it not possible that you have gone over a usage cap for the month and perhaps they are throttling your usage during peak times because of this?
    Just wondering if perhaps in their "upgrade" that they imposed a bandwidth cap that they have not made you aware of.

Other than that, as Atomic says, phone them and complain that you can play WoW. Also if you are using a router try rebooting it (just unplug it from the mains for 20 mins or so).
    I find my Netgear router from SKY does the same every so often, around once every 2-3 weeks, and a reboot often sorts it out :)

10. Atomic

Atomic Gerwaff

I don't think BT do any uncapped products to home users so it may well be a bandwidth issue.

11. Jamie

Jamie ex-Bit-Tech code junkie

As far as I am aware when you go over your download limit BT just charge you per GB rather than throttling your connection.

I had some many problems when I was with BT. I'd never go back to that POS ISP.

12. kingabs

kingabs Minimodder

if you want a better service without throttling go over to TitanADSL which are Enta reseller! www.titan-adsl.co.uk

13. completemadness

The new "Upgrade" imposes new limits, BT now have me on an unlimited connection, so there are no bandwidth limits anymore

I have tried restarting my router and modem, with no luck, I'm going to try BT's POS router, if the problem still exists then i know its a fault on BT's end and I'm going to phone them up
    Otherwise they may have changed a setting since their latest "upgrade" and that is causing issues as my modem has not updated with these settings

Edit
    Oh yeah i ran the speed test in their POS software that they send, and i got
    then it says to restart the router and if that doesn't work phone them, and it even gives a number :eek:

14. simon w

simon w What's a Dremel?

15. completemadness

Phoned BT, got the typical Indian spouting the typical pre written BS
    After telling the guy what he was saying was practically ********, he said he'd speak to his manager, 5 Min's later, my connection is back at 1.7 megabits

they haven't even told me whats wrong, and why it took a phone call for them to fix this, i don't know <_<
    I think i had better write down that number for the next time something goes wrong

16. kingabs

kingabs Minimodder

or like i said before just migrate, and all your woes will be gone.

17. completemadness

what difference will it make, BT are still in charge of the lines, and the exchange
    If you go with another company and there's a problem, they will just bounce you between their support and BT's support

18. kingabs

kingabs Minimodder

with certain isp's such as enta resellers they tend to get things sorted.

19. quack

quack Minimodder

Depends where the problem is. If it's a problem with the actual connection between your house and the exchange then it's BT who need to sort it. If the problem exists elsewhere it's (usually) your ISP's fault (and not another BT company).

I've just migrated from Eclipse to ADSL24 (another Entanet reseller) and now get over 6Mbps instead of somewhere around 2Mbps. Best thing I've ever done is get away from my old ISP.

20. completemadness

well I'm seriously considering migrating now

its gone to hell again, and I'm getting really fed up with BT

i was considering multiplay broadband, but there is a 40gb cap, and they limit your to 30KB/s on torrents (only) at peak times

i looked at ADSL24 but they are quite expensive (well for unlimited) then again something like the Home60 plan would probably suffice, but its still £30 a month
    Though the unlimited 2mbit plan seems interesting, but that's £35 - though i don't know what kind of speeds my line will support, I'm only getting like 2mbit ATM but that may be cos BT suck

Tags: