1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Encryption Software?

Discussion in 'General' started by Godboy_g, 14 Jun 2007.

1. Godboy_g

Godboy_g What's a Dremel?

I've been driving myself nuts trying to locate some suitable Encryption software for the corporation I work for. Basically we have a bunch of USB flash drives in use, and we want to be able to encrypt the data that is stored on them. However we have some fairly strict security policies. Namely, all our users run as restricted standard users.

I've been able to source a few Kingston drives that have what we need, but they're fairly expensive, and we don't want to have to replace all the drives we currently have in circulation.

My requirements are as follows:

- Needs to work on Windows XP SP2
    - Encryption software needs to run from any flash drive.
    - Software does not install anything on the PC.
    - Software does not require admin rights to use.

Since I've been coming up empty, I though I'd ask away here, to see if anyone has any ideas on what I might be able to use.

Thanks in advance :)

2. thefriscokid

thefriscokid why s**t so crazy?

3. Amon

Amon inch-perfect

Any chance that you be working for a Canadian bank as well? :rolleyes:

4. Godboy_g

I thought truecrypt as well, but it needs admin rights to work properly....

From their FAQ:

Unfortunately, this won't be possible. we have over 1000 machines throughout the province, so installing truecrypt on every one wouldn't be a feasable solution for the 100 or so users we have with the drives. Also, we would run into problems if the we want to use them on consultant machines offsite.

To Amon, no I work for Service New Brunswick, We're a provincial government corporation. Basically, we take care of Land registry, Licensing, taxes, Medicare, etc....

5. Adam-Mck

Adam-Mck What's a Dremel?

can you not just .zip the content of the drive with a password?

6. Ramble

Ramble Ginger Nut

I know of no better software than truecrypt. There must be a way around the admin thing.

7. Godboy_g

Adam-Mck:
    Zipping the files is not really an option. They are too easy to crack, and would require copying back to the desktop to access the files, and then there's the problem of uncopressing the files as well. Plus these are government workers..... The less complex something is the better.

Ramble:
    I'll re-read the truecrypt documentation, perhaps I can rig somethign up?

Keep the suggestions coming though :D

*edit* To give you some idea what I'm looking for, we have one or two Kingston DataTraveler Secure drives. They come with a software called MyDataZone, that encrypts the drive, and doesnt' require admin to run. Unfortunately it's programed to only run on that specific model of drive :sigh:

8. thefriscokid

thefriscokid why s**t so crazy?

I run truecrypt off a 100gb usb drive (90gb encrypted) but i can't remember if you can run it without admin rights, i'm sure their website will help.

9. sam.g.taylor

sam.g.taylor Apparently I'm Greg Kinnear

10. Hells_Bliss

Hells_Bliss What's a Dremel?

not sure if it's possible to put ntfs on a flash drive, if it is then just use EFS, it's free, it's built in.

otherwise? don't some flash sticks have encryption software on them when you buy them? cant you use that?

11. Atomic

Atomic Gerwaff

From first post:

12. Hells_Bliss

Hells_Bliss What's a Dremel?

copy the program onto the flash drive? only need one, and if they're the same model it shouldn't enfringe on copyright laws.

13. Godboy_g

sam.g.taylor - I tried the software you linked to, but it requires admin privilages to work as well. :-(

I've been in contact with Kingston, and it turns out that their flash drives use hardware encryption. The software included doesn't actually encrypt anything. It seems I may be out of luck. We'll probably have to buy new drives for everyone.

Thanks for all the help though