1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Windows Home Server hits RC Stage

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 13 Jun 2007.

1. Tim S

Tim S OG

2. Spaceraver

Spaceraver Ultralurker

"Secure" is the keyword.. As if any version of Windows ever was secure. (And i'm saying this as a windows user.) But hey, ass long as my games arent supported under linux properly i can't switch totally yet.

3. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

quoted for truth..... even if we can still play games on linux using wine or cedega......

edit: anyone know about anything new about cider?

4. Risky

Risky Modder

There's interesting tech in here that wasn't mentioned in the article such as remote access. I'm definitely going to try to find a box to take a look at this at some point.

5. fev

fev Industry Fallout

love it, had it in the house for a couple of months now and it's sweeeeet as a nut

6. TheEclypse

TheEclypse What's a Dremel?

Is that not just using your browser to browse the computer like a normal drive? Because thats been done before.

7. David_Fitzy

David_Fitzy I modded a keyboard once....

This is aimed at non-expert users yes?
    To be installed on a machine and left to it's own devices

does anyone else see a problem here?

either WinHS is going to be so locked down as to be unusable (for advanced users) or all those WinHS boxes are going to become playtoys for spammers and other bots or both

I think I'll stick to Glider's Linux server (When it's built, Saving up for HDDs atm).

8. fev

fev Industry Fallout

home server is much more than just storing files it's for backing up and restore sessions.

Prime example is how i'm using it at home (Worcester)
    For my mother to restore her laptop she puts in the recovery cd and HS restores the backup i created. Same for my brother.... saves me the hassle of having to babysit two installs for the odd day i go back to see them.

9. Mother-Goose

Mother-Goose 5 o'clock somewhere

Hope it's 64-bit :)

10. yakyb

yakyb i hate the person above me

whats the situation with drivers for windows server 2003 they use different drivcers than XP?

11. jezmck

jezmck Minimodder

ARGH!! :wallbash: :wallbash: :waah: :grr:

12. yakyb

yakyb i hate the person above me

woot just got an invite!!!!

13. completemadness

completemadness What's a Dremel?

there fixed it for ya :p

14. glnsize

glnsize What's a Dremel?

WinHS is built upon Server 2003... And is NOT a NAS! The title says it all, It is a Home Server. Providing a single Grandma friendly all in one Windows solution. I say windows because in all honesty if your running Linux, HS was not designed for you. There is alot of very cutting edge tech built into this product. Too much to cover actually, a full review/overview can be found at.

http://www.winsupersite.com/reviews/whs_preview.asp

Not perfect, but a very cool product.

15. Glider

Glider /dev/null

Are you saying Linux isn't cutting edge?

16. glnsize

glnsize What's a Dremel?

Not at all, there are alot of things native to Linux that are not found elsewhere.

That being said, If you use Windows products then this server was built for you. It utilizes windows media connect to stream content to any compatible device. IE XP, Vista, XBox360, WMC extenders...

By cutting edge there use of a Single Instance Store for backups. Thats cutting edge, to the best of my knowledge aside from an enterprise vault store. No one has ever used one, and certainly not on a home product.

Also, that's not to say that it will only support MS OS. Just not at the level that readers of this site typically demand.

I am a self proclaimed MS fanboy! I do however acknowledge that MS products are often a double edges sword. To get option A you have to give up option B. The same is true for this product. It is not a server in the Win2k3 sense, but its features do provide all the functionality a home would demand, and a couple you wouldn't expect! IMHO....

Last edited: 14 Jun 2007
  17. leexgx

leexgx CPC hang out zone (i Fix pcs i do )

wunder if it work on VMware i guess i find out soon

i May have an other go at Linux as an File server but IMO i got to many disk to Lose if i do an mestake an wipe out all my disks or have to wast 2-8hrs working out how to get Samber (Linux free Windows network) to work with my windows pcs

my self there are simple things on linux that have not been resoved in the last 5-7 years of testing linux all thats changed is it Now installs (95% of the time but thats HW issues) and my internet Mite work when i install it

i was Very close to useing linux as my file server but Remote access sucks as it was Maxing me cpu out and was getting about 1 redraw ever 2-4 secs and samber was not doing consistant network speeds (could not watch an video file)

setting up an file server should be Very simple and i can wast alot of time just trying to get things working, after that task failed all i did was pop an win3k disk in and Format and in 30 mins and had Full network and only had to load me IDE PCI card drivers up and that taken me less then 2 hrs at most to do it all

18. Glider

Glider /dev/null

Tags: Add Tags