1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

"Error Loading Operating System" error message woes

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by Flyinghaggis, 20 Jun 2007.

1. Flyinghaggis

Flyinghaggis What's a Dremel?

Well, I get that error message and after much Googling and asking, the only reason I can find is that thw BIOS needs updating.

Spec:

ASRock AM2NF6G-VSTA
    sAM2 Athlon 64 X2 4200+ Windsor Core
    GEIL 2Gb DDR2 800MHz (Dual Channel)
    WD HDDs, both SE 80Gb and 250Gb
    XP SP2

Now this problem occurred when one day I double clicked on my Teamspeak desktop icon, and the system reboots. When Windows loads again, I'm curious, so I go to the Program Folder and double click on the TS icon and same thing, it reboots. When Windows is loading the 3rd time, it reboots halfway through loading Windows and restarts again. When it restarts this time though I get the error message, "Error loading operating system". It's not a Windows error, it's BIOS and comes immediately after POST.

My extensive Googling led me to a few options, enabling LBA/Large Mode on the BIOS, which didn't work. Low Level Formatting and a clean install didn't work. Nor did using a different hard disk! My last option that I could find was to update the BIOS. Only problem is I need a floppy drive to do this, which I have and leads me onto my 2nd problem. In a 2nd PC, whenever I try to access it it tells me to insert a disk. ARGH :wallbash: . I also tried loading the files from a USB drive but it wouldn't have any of it.

So, any suggestions?

2. C-Sniper

C-Sniper Stop Trolling this space Ądmins!

1. switch to linux.
    -or-
    2. to load the file from a USB drive you have to format it as an ms-dos boot disk. then load the files then restart.
    -or-
    3. reinstall windows.

3. Flyinghaggis

1. rather not

2. wont let me format USB pen drives as a boot disk, and I couldn't find the 3 files for ms dos to boot

3. tried... around 4 times now i think

4. C-Sniper

hmmm.. This idea is a little far out but bear with me.
    Try putting the files you need onto a USB stick and take a floppy drive to an internet cafe, then try formatting the floppy and moving over all your files. Just an idea.

5. identikit

identikit Minimodder

I had a similar message the other day, HDD cable had come loose.

6. Flyinghaggis

Right, I managed to get the floppy drive working and installed the new BIOS successfully.

Installed XP and after it's copied the files (you know, when it boots from CDROM), and it goes to boot from the HDD, I get the same error.

:wallbash:

EDIT:

Well, I tried my father's HDD in my PC and it loaded windows fine....

Tried my HDD in my dads and it didn't work.

HDD's failed?

They both failed at the same time though, so perhaps it could've been a virus? If so, do you know of any way to rectify it? Otherwise I've lost 310Gb of HDD's. :(

Last edited: 21 Jun 2007
  7. C-Sniper

get another floppy that has the MS-dos boot up and run "C:\chkdsk /r" (i think its been a while since i've done this type of troubleshooting) and it should check all the HDD files for errors and fix them.

also from what i have experienced ASRock isn't a good motherboard, they are very flaky

8. Flyinghaggis

Mobo is fine. It's the hard drives. And yeah, I've fried a few ASRocks before now.