1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Project IBM Resurrection: 20/06/07 - Putting it all together [PIC. 168!!!]

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by ThaDheiz_NL, 7 Aug 2006.

1. ThaDheiz_NL

ThaDheiz_NL What's a Dremel?

back home again :) hope to do some modding next week :dremel:

2. Sam0r

Sam0r It's been a while

God I love those huge beastly cases. Reminds me of an IBM 486 rack server case I had a few years back.

Built like a tank, you don't see that any more :( I bet it still worked too ;)

Nice modding, keep it up!

3. ThaDheiz_NL

Update 13 - Putting It all Together

We finally had all the hardware together to put the whole system together :clap: On top of that, I've found a new sponsor :D:

[​IMG]
    check out their website: http://www.bg-computers.com

[​IMG]
    Everything stashed upon my desk :p It isn't that much though...

[​IMG]
    As you can see, the powersupply bay is mounted succesfully. I absolutely don't have problems with it mounted like this, it's 100% stable and the fan behind it sucks all the warm air out of the case, through the original ventilationhole. :D

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Everything installed on the motherboard.

[​IMG]
    Rather big CPU cooler, compared to the motherboard :) And it's not even the biggest :p

[​IMG][​IMG]
    And everything put together. :thumb: You can see the reflection of the powersupply, because my moms washingthingy (you know, where you leave it to dry) is being reflected :p

[​IMG]
    And closed. I left out a front-part, so you can see that it is the modded one and not the other original case :rolleyes: :naughty:

[​IMG]
    Even though it isn't 18+kg any more, it's still quite heavy :p

Than I came upon the biggest problem of all: Installing the OS. Since it's a server, you must have a Linux distro as OS :rolleyes: . It turned out that this motherboard was specially designed for Vista compatibility, and therefor isn't quite compatible with Linux... :wallbash:

So I tried to install Suse 10.3 Server Edition, but it turned out that after the installation, GRUB gives err0r 24. :waah: The problem is that I've got 4x 320Sata and I want them in raid 5. So I install Linux on a 20GB Maxtor IDE HDD. But it turns out that the IDE controller isn't in the chipset or something, but is a third-party chip. Therefor, Linux GRUB can't find the disk when booting.... :waah:

BUT!

There is a Solution! :naughty:
    When I try to boot an older linux Suse installation disk, it gives an error, because it can't find the IDE DVD player and IDE disk, because of the IDE Controller problem. But then you can manually select the General IDE driver and than select "B00t installed system" and then it continues the second part of the installation and b00ts the system. :clap:

The only problem is that if you turn it off, you will have to start it up again using the bootdisk. :duh: But hey, it's running :thumb:

[​IMG]
    Installing Suse :)

[​IMG]
    Resurrection in style. The mouse isn't that nice, but the keyboard is one of the most reliable keyboards ever made :p Wanna know it's age :rolleyes: ?

[​IMG]
    yes, that's right, 21 june 1989. It's almost as old as I am. Just almost one year younger :p.

[​IMG]
    And this is how I installed the system. As you can see, the motherboard glow turned out nice :)

4. tm36usa

tm36usa What's a Dremel?

Nice job! Ive followed this from the beginning and you did a sweet job with it! Oh, and that keyboard is only 17 days younger than I am

5. Amon

Amon inch-perfect

Now that is an awesome way to repurpose an old chassis. I have a really old keyboard like the one you have plugged in, as well, except it's got 24 function keys: F1 through F24. Very big.

6. ThaDheiz_NL

@tm26usa - thnx! The tobo is only 359 days younger than me XD. It's turning 18 soon...
    I'm also using a IBM PS/2 tobo right now, on my main rig. They're the best :D even after 3 cups of coffee they're a bit sticky, but still working ;)

@amon - thnx :) Yeah they're quite big indeed, quite heavy also. Could do serious damage to your neighbor when gaming @ Lanpary's and still use it afterwards :p (*thinking back to a lanparty where one of my mates brought a flexi-tobo with him :p smacked a lot of friends with it in the face while they were gaming, hilarious :D :rolleyes: )

7. x06jsp

x06jsp da ginger monkey!!!!

ha its 364 days older than me(wooo bday today!!!!!!!!)

8. widmod

widmod Minimodder

happy birthday keyboard
    huh mine is in an week

but i'm 4 years older than the keyboard

Last edited: 21 Jun 2007
  9. davidbacsik

davidbacsik What's a Dremel?

Woot! Very tight. It makes me keep an eye out for big old cases now.

10. ThaDheiz_NL

Did a little bit of modding today. :) Not for this project, but for my main rig :). It's a Lian Li PC-61 called Black_Reaper :)

Yeah it's done :p I've spent at least 5 hours sawing, filing, (wet) sanding etc. But it was worth it :D :

[​IMG]
    An plexi RadGrill. Nowadays you can buy them like this, but that is'nt 5mm thick plexi... Therefor I decided to make one myself :)

[​IMG]
    With black RadGrill ontop ^^ I only have to decide which way I will mount it on the case (still first have to make a cut-out on top of my case, but well... :p)

There are two options:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

But I think it will be to high, mounted the second way, with the cap on top. Than it will become to pointy :p. I think it's better mounted the first way, it's slicker :rolleyes:

What do you think?

11. Supra55

Supra55 What's a Dremel?

Nice contrast :thumb: