1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Artifacts.... 4th RMA

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by waitandbleed, 23 Jun 2007.

1. waitandbleed

waitandbleed What's a Dremel?

k, I just got this card less than 2 weeks ago. It was my 4th RMA and my previous cards were all doing the samething as well. I get artifacts while playing Counter-Strike Source and World of Warcraft. Generally within the first couple seconds of either logging in or connecting to a server. However, I have been playing Natural-Selection (Half-Life 1 mod) and I can play it all day with 0 problems. I have RMA'd my mobo (DFI LanParty UT-D SLI) and my Ram (Crucial Ballistix) with no luck. All my other cards however have lasted a lot longer than 2 weeks. I was generally able to play any game for at least 4-5 months without any problems. Sometimes I get artifacts at the bios splash screen also. My PSU is rated @ 550w with 26A on the 12v rail so that should be plenty.... I'm at a loss. Also my monitor is a 24" Dell so I thought I just throw that in there. Thanks.

Something else that I thought what pretty wierd is that whenever I start of Counter-Strike Source, it says my Video Card drivers are out of date even though I got the newest ones from nVidia (94.24).

My temps are normal also..... 45C idling, maybe mid 60sC when stressed.

Last edited: 23 Jun 2007
  2. atanum141

atanum141 I fapped to your post!

What card is it?

3. Glider

Glider /dev/null

Is it OC'd? What temperatures are you case? How is the airflow?

4. Fr4nk

Fr4nk Tyrannosaurus Alan !

5. Amon

Amon inch-perfect

If it's persistent at POST, then the video card BIOS is suspect if the hardware isn't damaged or old.

6. waitandbleed

Sorry all, can't believe I left out the card :wallbash: Its a 7800gt by BFG. Also I ran WoW in windowed mode and had ATITool right next to it and it artifact at 55C. Thats to low for artifacts? Anything in my system that might be eating up all these cards or just extremely bad luck?

Also its not OC'd at all besides factory settings which are 425//1050. Another thing I think I should add real quick is when I got the card I did a completely fresh reinstall of windows.

7. Spacecowboy92

Spacecowboy92 Gettin' Lazy

Have you tried what Fr4nk said, reinstalling Windows wont get rid of the drivers unless you reformated your HDD.

8. waitandbleed

Actually I just got done with that. Now to test....

Crashed after 1 minute @ 57c. :sigh: I guess I'll start getting on the phone with BFG and waiting in line for 2-3 hours. Would it be wrong of me to ask for my money back or a better card? This will be the 5th time RMA'ing it and I'm the one who has to pay for shipping. 20 bucks each time from Alaska.

9. Mathmarauder

Mathmarauder What's a Dremel?

Is the fan on the cooler going? Is it getting proper air flow?

10. waitandbleed

I run with both sides of my case off. My sound card is 2 slots away and the fan on the GFX Card is spinning. So i think thats good.

11. waitandbleed

Well I just talked to them. I imagine they are tired of hearing my voice but they said they are going to send it to a testing facility and test it and determine whether it is my end (which is very possible - 5 bad cards in less than a 1.5 years?) or if it's just the card. If it's my end then they are going to get a level 3 techy on the phone and have him help me determine my settings on my computer. Overall, good customer service, even when I about lost it a couple times through the idiotic questions that I know they have to ask :p

12. Silver Shamrock

Silver Shamrock What's a Dremel?

What make is your PSU? 26A on the 12v rail is poor for a 550W model imo. Have you tried a different one? It just seems that having 4 faulty cards turn up is more than just unlucky.

13. waitandbleed

OCZ Modular Powerstream or something like that and its really 520w. Sorry for the typo.

14. Spacecowboy92

Spacecowboy92 Gettin' Lazy

Im going to make an assumption, since it's the fifth time, the law of averages suggests that you can't possibly of got 5 bad cards. Although maybe you did.

15. waitandbleed

Honestly, that is exact same way that I feel. Although, this time they are paying for my shipping so thats nice. Also if it turns out the card isn't at fault then some level 3 techy can listen to my beautiful voice for as long as it takes :blush:

16. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

Hmmm.. I recall having this issue with my Fx5900... but I just used an older driver version and it fixed it... and when a newer driver was released I installed it, and I never had the issue ever again... It was just that specific drivers.

Did you try formating completly your HDD and re-install very thing new. If not update your BIOS, and re-install the OS do it with a good copy of Windows (no image, no crack, no recovery disk), install drivers and the 2 games. That's all. Forget your applications, not even an IM program.