1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motors What do you drive? - The Photo Gallery

Discussion in 'General' started by :: Phat ::, 28 Jul 2003.

1. firestarter03

firestarter03 What's a Dremel?

Yay another Rover 200 driver :D Have I seen your car on mg-rover.org? I will post pics of my car when I have some decent ones.

2. sui_winbolo

sui_winbolo Giraffe_City

Got a new camera, Canon S3 IS

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Video of my car.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wn8G3aUUGCY

I have a cracked manifold, that's why it sounds kinda crappy. I will be getting it replaced, later down the road when I get headers. But for now it'll do.

3. Leeum

Leeum What's a Dremel?

My paxo :)

[​IMG]

4. Amon

Amon inch-perfect

I hope you didn't do that engine revving from a cold start! :nono: Very nice car, by the way, with quite a big engine. As Dodge's motto goes: "There's no replacement for displacement."

5. sui_winbolo

sui_winbolo Giraffe_City

Hehe, thanks.

That is an awesome motto for sure. :p

6. NiHiLiST

NiHiLiST New-born car whore

Not even a whacking great supercharger? :D

7. jaguarking11

jaguarking11 Peterbilt-strong

yeh but that great supercharger would add up allot of torque in a larger engine, plus the sound from a v8 is something like a symphony for me.

Large displacement dosen't have to mean heavy either. Ls1 (5.7l) blocks in many cases weigh less than a 4cyl iron block of less than 1/2 the displacement. Rover used a buick designed engine until recently that was an all alu v8 that weighs less than a comparable 4cyl.

8. Altron

Altron Minimodder

You're referring to the 215 GM smallblock from the early sixties, right? I think it's amazing how advanced in design that motor was.

9. Piratetaco

Piratetaco is always right

my god , do you have heavy engines in america

10. dognosh

dognosh What's a Dremel?

BMW 540i touring 286 bhp:cooldude:
    Turbo Charged Suzuki Hayabusa 430 bhp:hip:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. NiHiLiST

You absolute nutcase, I love it :D

12. Murdoc

Murdoc Gas Mask..ZOMG

Must spend a fair bit of time looking at the sky...

13. Jamie

Jamie ex-Bit-Tech code junkie

That is an awesome bike, more than twice the power of my very heavy car.

14. dognosh

dognosh What's a Dremel?

you would think so eh ? but no , to me wheelies are:yawn:
    It's all in the wrist and I never leave the deck

To explain something that I didn't go into, on the road she is restricted to 290-300 bhp as you need race fuel on any higher boost and I am not willing to pay £5 a litre for fuel so I use unleaded:D

15. NiHiLiST

Only 300hp? It would barely move... :hehe:

16. dognosh

dognosh What's a Dremel?

actually there is a bit of truth there, because of the "launch" possibilities of the front wheel,it won't pull away from superbikes until about 130-150 when she gets going, and before anyone calls me an irresponsible hooligan,we hire RAF runways to do our top speed stuff(with proper timing gear):thumb:

17. jaguarking11

I don't know what you refer to as heavy. But coineseg used a cobra block in their supercar, in fact my car runs the same block. The v8 in my car is all alu and believe me it dosent weigh as much as most think. The LSX series of engines from gm are also very lightweight.

18. NiHiLiST

Koenigsegg? Their top models, the CCX and CCXR use a Koenigsegg-designed engine I think. You're probably right for the "slower models" if you can call them that!

19. Amon

Amon inch-perfect

I believe the CCX's powerplant is based on a Ford design. Aluminum is a clear choice for engines due to its light weight, good strength, and (mostly) linear thermal expansion properties. However, iron allows for extreme duty applications, especially in an environment with high levels of boost, such as fright vehicles.

About the Dodge motto ("There is no replacement for displacement."), I'm more inclined to using turbochargers than simply raw displacement. Japanese cars are known to have limited space in the engine bay, so turbochargers are a sensible option in keeping size and weight down, but they lack the fuel efficiency (somewhat) and reliability of a normally aspirated engine.

20. jaguarking11

From my understanding the top of the line one uses the ford 4.6L block with dohc 4v per cyl cobra heads and large turbochargers. My block is the same 4.6L block with sohc and 3valves per cyl. On a side note the alu blocks are known for about 700-1000hp when properly built. The iron block versions are known for 1500+hp. My engine even with stock everything from factory is rev happy and is all I can do to keep revs down. Turbocharged these blocks make around 500hp with all stock internals and are very street able. It only takes 8-9psi to develop 500hp+ (depending on the tune) and the fuel economy goes up due to the nature of turbochargers and the correct gearing.

Another beautiful thing about these blocks is that they use chain driven cams so no need for costly service bills since the chains last allot longer than belts. One down side is that my car is a bit of a porker weigh in at around 3450lb

In any case, don't underestimate the new v8's. I read an article that talked about replacing the stock block from a Porsche 944 with a 5.7L ls1 and the article stated that the weight difference is minimal at best and the car could loose a bit of weight if the installer uses an alu bell along with the swap. The article mentioned that you don't even need ton change the springs of the car to accommodate the new engine. Thats a 2.3L block weighing in as much as a 5.7L engine.

The better news coming out of Detroit is that there is a 5.4L diesel v8 being developed and planed for production within 3 years that will weigh no more than its gasoline counterparts and make around 320hp and a whopping 512lb of torque, with the correct gear ratio you could be looking at one hell of a sports car that is both lightweight and powerful as well as very fuel efficient. With a chip tune and a mild turbocharger your looking at north of 600hp and still maintain around 40mpg highway putting most economy cars to shame.