1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding microwave

Discussion in 'Modding' started by saltynay, 27 Jun 2007.

1. saltynay

saltynay What's a Dremel?

its for a science experiment but I don't want to break the lcd screen but I want to fry the components which is obviously going to be a careful balance

2. thecrownles

thecrownles What's a Relix?

Remove LCD Bezel, Remove LCD and Inverter Board

Microwave Laptop

Reconnect Inverter board, Replace LCD, Replace Bezel.

3. AFX

AFX "Bling" Silver Mountain 2

When I did it all the traces on the mobo lit up like it was a x-mas tree. Also I did it at 3 second intervals for a total of 15 seconds I didn't get any physical damage to the case and it still worked after a total of 10 seconds. After the last 3 seconds when i plugged in the power the power port on the back of the laptop burst into flames.

4. saltynay

saltynay What's a Dremel?

cool so you did it for 3 seconds at a time and then plugged in the power cable..... did you put it in the microwave with a lithium ion battery still in?????

5. cogitoergosum

cogitoergosum What's a Dremel?

Please tell me you have photos of this.

Last edited: 4 Jul 2007
  6. mrlanrat

mrlanrat What's a Dremel?

This hurts me. I"m the kinda guy who loves old stuff broken or working. and i ha to see it destroyed. :( but I am also pyro so as long afsyou record it it will all be good.

7. Fophillips

Fophillips What's a Dremel?

LCDs use nematic thermotropic liquid crystals, which means if they get too hot or cold they change 'phase', which is bad news for an LCD. So if any metal near the LCs arcs and becomes hot, it will break your screen (although they will return to the nematic phase after being cooled, the molecules change formation possibly breaking the moieties). And if they get too heated, you may find it violently exploding when you touch it. :)

8. C-Sniper

C-Sniper Stop Trolling this space Ądmins!

^^^^ eaxctly what came to mind. LCD means Liquid Crystal Display. so hence the word LIQUID. if the molecules vibrate enough, well i guess you can put 2 + 2 together from there.

9. woof82

woof82 What's a Dremel?

I agree with Hugo B.

Also there's a lot of really dodgy science in this thread:

Microwaves do indeed cause water molecules to vibrate, this is known as dialectric heating, and fats and sugars are also caused to vibrate with the changing electric field but to a much lesser extent.

BUT they also induce currents in metal, and very high voltages, resulting in electric arcs. These high voltages will destroy all microprocessors and possibly many other components in the laptop.

No idea about the screen, sorry =\

Edit: actually yeah, forgot the liquid crystals are dialectric, so they could get hot too. Not much if you only do it for 2 or so seconds. But yeah... watch out for that.