1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress Project: Evolutionary

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Franklin, 29 Nov 2006.

1. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

Reminds of those masks they're wearing at some kinda asian martial sport... Kendo? The one with the sticks... Gotta give google a go. :)

// edit: Here we go: (hands up for Wiki)
    [​IMG]

// edit 2: Taking a 2nd look and I got an idea: What about a transversal piece of acryl like the perpendicular one seen on the mask. Can you understand what I mean... if I were you I wouldn't. :)

Last edited: 13 May 2007
  2. Franklin

Franklin Minimodder

I think I'm planning to do what you try to tell me here. Because the thing is a bit fragile without a conection between the pieces I planned another piece that will go from the left to the right. It's like the mask in your picture but then turned over 90 degrees.

I turned your pic over 90 degrees and gave the part a green color.

[​IMG]

Last edited: 26 Dec 2007
  3. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

YOU GOT ME! I'm happy now. :D
    Yea, that's exactly what I meant. Glad I could "help". ;)

4. Franklin

Franklin Minimodder

Almost there....

[​IMG]

I started filing all the pieces as you can see. The outer piece on the right is the best place to look what I mean. I will have to add one small piece of acrylic on the sides and then it needs more filing and sanding before I can use a small torch to make it shiny again. It already took me four days to get this far and I will have to do this work another three times :eyebrow:

5. B[x]

B[x] What's a Dremel?

It will definitely be worth it in the end, that piece is just fantastic. I've always liked to see ribs incorporated into mods and this one is does flawlessly.

I don't think you need to incorporate a horizontal piece for aesthetic reasons. To me it would clutter up the clean look that the vent has. However, you mentioned that the grill is a bit fragile so perhaps it is necessary.

6. The_Beast

The_Beast I like wood ಠ_ಠ

great looking mod, keep up the good work

7. Mino

Mino Ganzerli Mino

The look is fantastic!
    Now I know what you told previously, and it's f++ink awesome!

8. GAM

GAM What's a Dremel?

First, I agree, it would be a shame to marr the existing look. However, if reinforcement or bracing was absolutely necessary, then consider some fine piano wire, fishing line, etc glued horizontally across the back or through the ribs i.e., something fine and barely noticable. If it is secured to each rib it will still be strong and durable.

Secondly, g'day Franklin. I've just registered on Bit-Tech and noticed someone and their mod that I'm familiar with. :)

Oh, and you've heard my praises before, but one more for the record won't hurt. Top work! Looking forward to each update.

9. Franklin

Franklin Minimodder

Welcome to Bit-tech GAM. I don't post much in other worklogs here or on other forums, but I read almost every worklog.

The first fingerguard is finished for now. I will clean it up later. I starting to doubt wether I should add that reinforcement. I will create one and if it doesn't look better I will forget it. The construction doesn't need it. I expected the contruction to be much more fragile before I started on the fingerguard.

[​IMG]

Now you can see why I made the aluminium construction the way I did, with that strange looking top. That's the place, lefttop and righttop where the vents are now.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I will start on the other three guards later on. Want to do some other things now. I hope the weather will get better so I can start on the fibreglass sides for the case.

10. gvblake22

gvblake22 mmm, yep

I'm diggin' the vent covers, they look great! Keep it up!!! :clap:

11. Dean MF

Dean MF PC Freak!

I must say - this is coming out better than i expected - Great work Franklin!!

12. Franklin

Franklin Minimodder

After all the work on the fingerguard I wanted to work on other things for a while. A little less fragile parts. I had to close the gap from the radiator to the top of the lid. This because the air must be forced to go from the radiator to the vents on the lid. I used a piece of acrylic and cut out a small piece for the aluminium frame.

[​IMG]

Here the part is in place. You can see it on the right of the picture. Another piece will be mounted on the left as well.

[​IMG]

The piece I cut out to fit around the aluminium tubing.

[​IMG]

And a photograph with the radiator in place.

[​IMG]

Right now you can still see through the transparant acrylic, but that will have to change.

13. Franklin

Franklin Minimodder

After a long time without any updates, a small update again. I've been very busy with "real life" stuff and had very little time to work on the case. I also had some problems getting the materials I needed, still have b.t.w.
    The car airintakes I wanted to use still are not delivered and I'm not going to wait for those anymore. I will make them myself from fibreglass ofcourse.

I use some MDF to create a mold for the fibreglass. This is a drawing frm the mold. I will glue three layers of MDF together. On the left you can see what material I will have to file of to get the shape I want, on the right side.

[​IMG]

When this is done I will saw the mold under an angle like this.

[​IMG]

So first saw some MDF.

[​IMG]

Drill a hole in the smallest one.

[​IMG]

Now I can saw a bigger hole in this layer.

[​IMG]

Time to glue these parts together.

[​IMG]

With a file I will remove the material to get a rounded shape.

[​IMG]

I made a paper mold with the rounded shape. When I hold it against the side of the MDF I can spot the places I have to file more to get the right shape.

[​IMG]

and after sanding the mold.

[​IMG]

14. 1e8o

1e8o What's a Dremel?

very nice :p

15. gvblake22

gvblake22 mmm, yep

He's back!!! WOOOO! :rock:
    I'm still having a hard time visualizing all these parts together, so I can't make any "real" comments quite yet. But I just wanted you to know I think you're doing great work so far, thanks for the update! :dremel:

16. wbdog206

wbdog206 not me

glad to see you back at it.
    nice work on the mold there.

Last edited: 2 Jul 2007
  17. MoRBiD

MoRBiD Minimodder

this looks freakin awesome man... cant wait to see the continued progress . lovin it w00t!

18. Mino

Mino Ganzerli Mino

It's amazing to see how you work with fiberglass!
    Go on, show me more :-]

19. 500mph

500mph The Right man in the Wrong place

i cant wait to see more! this looks like it will be a truly amazing custom case

20. Franklin

Franklin Minimodder

It's time to finish the fibre glass mold. The most difficult part right now to saw the mold under an angle of 20 degrees. For this I made another mold. The base of the sawingmold has to be 90 degrees.

[​IMG]

Now add the sides of the sawingmold.

[​IMG]

The glue will be dry in a couple of hours. Before I start sawing I will add some scres in the mold. So I will put in the MDF fiber glass mold and secure it there. A sawblade will be guided by the opening in the sides of the sawing mold.

[​IMG]

I should and up with a nice 20 degrees angle like in this sketch

[​IMG]

The last job will be glueing the fiber glass mold onto a piece of MDF and finish the surfae with polyurethane resin. I will use this mold a least four times, maybe even 6 times. I will have to see what looks better, 4 or 6 airintakes.