1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Portable HDDs and Airport security?

Discussion in 'General' started by R_H, 2 Jul 2007.

1. R_H

R_H What's a Dremel?

I'm going to be flying from Calgary International Airport to Frankfurt, and I'm taking my two portable HDDs (desktop HDDs in Nexstar enclosures) along with me. I really don't want to put them in the checkin luggage, as it usually gets abused pretty badly. Would there be any problems with putting them in my carryon bag (same with my HDD mp3 player)? I've heard that people have had problems with the HDDs getting scrambled going through the Xray machines, supposedly because of conveyor belt motors leaking EMF or because of the Xray machine being too close to a metal detector. If I ask for a manual inspection, how would I power up the portable drives, seeing as they need to be plugged into a wall socket to work?

2. z3rb

z3rb +4 str +4 stam

Put them in the little tray that doesn't go through the x-ray :)
    I've had no problems with flying with my HDD MP3 Player.

3. cpemma

cpemma Ecky thump

Install Windows, so they can see inside... :lol:

:blush:

4. R_H

R_H What's a Dremel?

I don't have time to do any modding :p

5. bestforbuy

bestforbuy What's a Dremel?

Maybe it will affect the hdds , but as long as i remember my first time in an airplane i went with all my hdds, they were three and everything was ok, no clusters lost , no nothing the data was ok, and they were inside the the package , so they got the xray and all. i think there is no problem .

6. Lorquis

Lorquis lorquisSpamCount++;

I've traveled with my powerbook through airport security a few times. Never did it any harm at all..

To be honest I think it's one of those myths like having your phone active during flight it'll cause complications. Which while it may have been true in the early days of things like that it's not really an issue now.

Also, what do you think happens to the HDDs when they're on transit from whatever country they're made in to where you buy them... HUUUUUGEEEEE container xray machines blast it them.

7. MoRBiD

MoRBiD Minimodder

I just got back from Toronto and my old lappy went thru the damn XRAY 5 times ... ones in Vancouver ,three times in Toronto ..( went for two smokes while waiting for my delayed flight) and once in Calgary on the way back to Vancouver.. no problems he..he..he..here . :D

8. R_H

R_H What's a Dremel?

I think I might actually put them in my checkin luggage, and just wrap it in the middle of a bunch of clothing. I really don't want to get them confiscated by the tools that work screening here, especially after the oh so successful attacks in Britain.

9. Ramble

Ramble Ginger Nut

I doubt X-Rays will cause any problem. You're forgetting that cosmic rays blast aeroplanes anyway.

10. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

the machines wont do anything. I've put laptops through dozens of times

11. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Yup, has no effect whatsoever tbh, it's a complete fallacy, along with the classic "watch out for magnetic screwdrivers" crap.

12. RTT

RTT #parp

Echoing the above, x-rays cannot and will not do anything to your stuff :)