1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rant PIXMANIA SUCKS!

Discussion in 'General' started by will., 30 Jun 2007.

1. will.

will. A motorbike of jealousy!

Rant time!

Never order anything from pixmania.... ever! :wallbash:

It took them 1 month and 4 days to deliver my new speakers and most of the time they had no idea what the hell was going on. They were unwilling to communicate by phone and they hardly ever updated me over email either.

When they arrived the box looked like it had been through a war, it was damp and one of them had obviously been opened and re-taped. (find out why later!)

I dragged them back to my flat, happy that they had finally arrived! I opened everything up and found out that they had sent a ****ing european one! It had those shitty 2 pin plugs! A bit of digging around in the packaging and I found a loose adaptor, this is why the box was open! They knew they didn't have a UK one and had just stuck a damn adaptor in there! Worse still, the main unit and the sub needed plugs, and they only put one in! So They had finally arrived and I had no way of using them!

I just went out and bought some tourist plugs the next day, I cant be bothered trying to get them to replace them.

The moral of the story: NEVER EVER EVER EVER EVER! BUY ANYTHING FROM PIXMANIA!

(in a related note... does anyone know if there is any reason why I shouldn't cut of the end of these EU plugs and re-wire them up to some UK ones?)

2. Jamie

Jamie ex-Bit-Tech code junkie

Pixmania is cheap because it's european goods, did you not know that?

3. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

They are a French company IIRC. As regards to the plugs, the only problems comes if you get PET tested, there's no earth so they won't pass.

4. Ramble

Ramble Ginger Nut

I have a TON of those adapters.
    What you should do is splice the power cable and simply stick a new UK plug on it, takes about 3 minutes to do.

5. will.

nope.... :sigh:

Doesn't excuse the 1 month wait though...

6. cpemma

cpemma Ecky thump

A good many mains electrical items come with a 3-pin 13A plug and 2-wire lead - they should carry a "double-insulated" logo though. No reason why you can't swap plugs apart from maybe messing up the warranty. A few years ago, most electrical stuff came with a bare lead, fitted plugs are a new rule.

Pixmania seem to have two main annoyances (apart from after-service)
    • Manuals in French only, mainly applies to the thick ones you get with cameras; (other manuals these days are every language under the sun so you need three pages out of a telephone-directory sized book). I discovered that when looking for my camera and decided on Dabs instead. Their manual was German only; with cheap prices you sometimes can't win.

• EU plugs, though as you've found they claim to always include an adaptor.
    Live Sales folk who get commission on successful sales have a strong incentive to help the punter, the bigger online shops are just trying to reduce costs to compete with their rivals. The punter who takes up extra time is a nuisance.

7. DougEdey

Last time I saw a 2 wire device getting PET tested (office use) it was declared unsafe and was removed on site.

8. Lord_A

Lord_A Boom baby!

I know what you mean will, in fact, it's a pity you didn't read my rant about them over here

I just cannot say this enough, PIXMANIA SUCK!!!

9. Tarff

Tarff What's a Dremel?

I agree, Dad ordered something exactly 2 weeks ago and it's still not been dispatched. Been on "Being Prepared" for over a week and it's so difficult to find anywhere to contact them about it. They'll never get any of my money.

10. cpemma

cpemma Ecky thump

PAT (Portable Appliance) testing? My TV, VCR, DVD, STB, all 2-wire. With audio equipment it's usual for only one component to be grounded to prevent earth-loop hum. My CD Player and tuner are 2-wire, as are my PC speakers.

Maybe yours wasn't double-insulated.

11. Sp!

Sp! Minimodder

I ordered a logitech harmoney remote from pixmainia the web site said delivery in 2-4 weeks but it arrived in one it came with AA battery's and a euro plug adaptor despite not haveing a plug :D

12. will.

So basically, they screwed up in your favour :p

13. RTT

RTT #parp

I've never heard anything good about these guys either, deffo won't be buying from them

14. dognosh

dognosh What's a Dremel?

same here:eeek:

15. Shadowed_fury

Shadowed_fury Minimodder

My camera was cheap, and came fine. ;)
    No problems with them at all (yet)

16. Hack'n'Slash

Hack'n'Slash Minimodder

I ordered a router & wireless nic from them a few months ago & they arrived within the week without incident. Looks like it's a bit hit & miss with them, I think I'll be a bit reluctant to use them again.

17. Tarff

Tarff What's a Dremel?

Heh, remotes finally arrived today (literally as soon as I said to my dad that I didn't share his optimism that they'd turn up by the weekend) and they sent a free VIPix card. Totally never using that ever. They did include Euro adapters though so that's alright I guess.

18. dragontail

dragontail 5bet Bluffer

Aye, it's pretty simple and very useful to do. When something electrical dies I always keep the head of the plug exactly for this reason.

19. will.

is there a specific fuse I need to use do you think?

20. DougEdey

Look at the rating draw, get one as close as possible but above the max current draw.

I.e. if it says 2.05A, get a 2.16A fuse, but not a 13A.

Tags: