1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A/V How do you listen to music on your PC?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Mister_Tad, 2 Jul 2007.

?

How does music get from your sound card to your ears?

1. 2.0 speakers - budget/midrange PC speakers

16 vote(s)
    4.8%
  2. 2.0 speakers - premium PC speakers

7 vote(s)
    2.1%
  3. 2.0 speakers - Hi-fi

40 vote(s)
    12.1%
  4. 2.0 speakers - pro/monitors

11 vote(s)
    3.3%
  5. 2.1 speakers - budget/midrange PC speakers

36 vote(s)
    10.9%
  6. 2.1 speakers - premium PC speakers

27 vote(s)
    8.2%
  7. 5.1 speakers - budget/midrange PC speakers

42 vote(s)
    12.7%
  8. 5.1 speakers - premium PC speakers

34 vote(s)
    10.3%
  9. 5.1 speakers - Hi-fi/Home Cinema

28 vote(s)
    8.5%
  10. 6/7.1 speakers - budget/midrange PC speakers

4 vote(s)
    1.2%
  11. 6/7.1 speakers - premium PC speakers

6 vote(s)
    1.8%
  12. 6/7.1 speakers - Hi-fi/Home cinema speakers

6 vote(s)
    1.8%
  13. Headphones - budget/midrange

15 vote(s)
    4.5%
  14. Headphones - premium/hi-fi

34 vote(s)
    10.3%
  15. Headphones - surround

7 vote(s)
    2.1%
  16. Integrated monitor speakers

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  17. Integrated laptop speakers

5 vote(s)
    1.5%
  18. Other

9 vote(s)
    2.7%
  19. I don't listen to music on my PC

4 vote(s)
    1.2%
  1. dom_

dom_ --->

No i just use it for pc sounds, the odd dvd, tv and thats about it.
    I don't own any cd's or mp3's just vinyl :D

2. Anakha

Anakha Minimodder

For the XBox (Which runs XBMC and pulls my music off the NAS/PVR here) it's a Pioneer Amp + 3-way speaker system.

For the laptop here, it's a pair of Sennheiser HD580's.

3. myhottrashcan

myhottrashcan Just some guy

Normally movies are just coax digital out to HT setup, but for CD's I use a Bit-Head (amp w/ integreted DAC) to Beyer DT880's.

4. pillow

pillow What's a Dremel?

2.1/2.0 decent speakers, and surround sound head phones

5. -EVRE-

-EVRE- What's a Dremel?

well... depends on what I'm doing.
    If I'm listening to music its going through my pioneer 550w 5.1 system with 980watts of subs

if I want to listen to music and WoW I plug in my logitech usb speakers so game sound comes from them. (if you plug in and start programs in the correct order you have two separate sound devices :) )

or if I'm in a raid I plug in the headphones with mic for Vent.

6. Furymouse

Furymouse Like connect 4 in dagger terms

Logitech Z680!!!!! Massively powerful and loud. I used them as my alarm clock for a while. Not because it was overly loud, more because it would shake stuff off the walls that hit me in bed LOL.

7. TTmodder

TTmodder Hammertime

Rather stick with my surround headset and el cheapo 5.1 surround sound card, until i got enough money to buy a powerfull laptop and usb high q soundcard ;)

8. DarkLord7854

DarkLord7854 What's a Dremel?

X-Fi Gamer -> Logitech 4.2 set (2x 2.1)

9. Mr T

Mr T 4 Left Into Long 3 Right

Creative Megaworks 550 5.1 :) Good for annoying the neighbours.

10. Colonel Sanders

Colonel Sanders Minimodder

128Kb/s MP3s (joint stereo, CBR) most ripped and encoded myself - I've tried plenty of other settings but simply cant see hear any advantage to a higher bit-rate.

This goes to my Pioneer amp via SPDIF - I could have 5 channel sound but I don't have all the speakers hooked up - and I don't feel a need for 5.1 sound with 2 channel audio. The amp currently has a pair of 100W Pioneer 3 ways hooked up.

L J

11. Faulk_Wulf

Faulk_Wulf Internet Addict

What's a good 5.1 Headset in your opinion. I've heard alot from many different people. Just curious what you like or use. Price as well?

12. mattthegamer463

mattthegamer463 What's a Dremel?

I picked up a Mentor 5.1 USB surround sound pair of headphones from Tigerdirect for $33. They sound great, have decent positional audio, and I modified them so now USB is optional. They are kind of flimsy and look pretty bad, but they're quite comfortable and I can wear them for hours without any pain at all. They're great and cheap now because the model is a couple years old.

Check them out if you want.
    http://www.amazon.com/LTB-HSMT-UD-Mentor-Surround-Headphone/dp/B0002C96JC

PS I don't work for them. :p

13. gm_crop

gm_crop What's a Dremel?

I use an Audigy 2 running a 6.1 Creative inspire 6(somethine)00.

The font channel is catered for by a sweet as honey Arcam Alpha 9 amplifier, Mission 731i speakers on the Mission micrometer stands. All connected up using Cable Talk 3.1.

Oh and a pair of Sennies for late night sessions.

14. M3G4

M3G4 talkie walkie

iMac -> NADC320BEE -> Sony SS-176EB

Once I get round to re-encoding all my music to lossless, I'll be getting a DAC and using the optical output the mac provides. I'll probably be getting new speakers, too.

15. automagsrock

automagsrock What's a Dremel?

My PC is currently awaiting me to get a night off of work and install my Fatal1ty X-Fi. But as of right now it's onboard audio from my ASUS mobo into my Logitech Z-5300s for movies and gaming.(which for the $100 I paid are fantastic!!)

But if I am listening to music I have an old Technics AM/FM Stereo receiver that has 4x150 watts of power that I have connected to some sweet old school Technics tower speakers. The towers are 4 ways with 12 inch woofers and 2 tweeters/speaker and for music they sound phenominal, even through a cable going from the headphone jack into the input on the amp.
    Now once I get my X-Fi installed I'm sure I will re-wire it all and use proper RCA cables to connect my PC to the amp, but as of right now I like the way it sounds. Rock is crisp and clear with tight, punchy bass, and hip-hop/rap and any techno/dance/club music has great highs and low, deep bass as well. If I can find my camera I'll get some pics of the amp and the speakers. My dad bought the speakers back in 1989 and they still sound amazing even today :lol:

My headset is a Plantronics gamecom1 and for the $30 shipped from Newegg I am very happy with them as well. They aren't the fanciest or the most expensive, but at night when the others are asleep I can really imagine anything else I would need for gaming and listening to music :p

Last edited: 4 Jul 2007
  16. 2JSC

2JSC What's a Dremel?

More than enough for casual music and gaming - Altec Lansin ATP3 2.1

17. Blademrk

Blademrk Why so serious?

yeah, but I find that most cans kill my ears after pressing the arms of my glasses into the side of my head/ears for awhile. If I take my glasses off I can wear them longer (but then I can't see anything :lol:)

18. r0z|3o0n

r0z|3o0n What's a Dremel?

Source is still in the works, probably to be a Asus Xonar -> Headroom MicroDAC -> Pro-Ject Headbox amplifier -> Sennheiser HD595's...

Does this count as Premium o_O

19. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

for me its a X-FI elite pro via SPDIF into a set of logitech z5500s, not the most expensive option but a damn good setup imho for under 500 quid.

20. Gunblade

Gunblade The Frugal Chef

Klipsch Promedia 2.1's with monster cable. I really got tired of Creative 5.1 sets and logitech, these guys blow away most of whats out there anyways. And it's alot easier on the desk/cable management. Then I have Grado SR-60 Headphones when I need to be quiet. I plan on selling the SR-60's though, and getting a pair of audio-technica ATH-500's. I like them more than the sennheiser HMD-280's, especially since I wear glasses.

My dream though would be an external m-audio device, amp, and hi-fi AKG's or Senns for my PC : ) But that will be in like five years lol when I am out of college. As much as I love grado...there never really is enough silence. So it's closed for me here on out.