1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Forum Structure

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Jamie, 29 Jun 2007.

1. Jamie

Jamie ex-Bit-Tech code junkie

You can now select to close the filterbox by default in the cpanel.

2. yodasarmpit

yodasarmpit Modder

It's obvious that there has been a major change to the forum structure, which doesn't suit everyone, even I found some things that were not as I would prefer.
    Having said that I'm now getting used to the new layout and the navigation works fine, yes I would like to see two of the forum split, and RTT and Jamie said they are looking into these issues.
    When constructive criticism is offered I'm sure the guys will take it on board, and it's clear they already have with some of the tweaks made.
    Allow them some time to analyze the feedback and make the necessary changes, at the end of the day it's to the admins benefit to listen and respond, so long as the criticism/praise is constructive.

When you make an unreasoned post ("I don't like it, change it back") don't expect a reasoned reply.

I appreciate the work the guys are putting in, and I'm confident given a little time we will mostly all be happy with the forum.

And just so wireframe knows, I'm not sucking up or trying for a mods position, I just realize from experience how difficult it is to implement a big change to a system

3. jakenbake

jakenbake full duplex

ahhh. thanks. i was looking under the rest of the filters...

4. whisperwolf

whisperwolf What's a Dremel?

Crikey that was altered pretty quickly to just having a feedback filter, thank you for stopping my mind from hurting.
    :D

5. Glider

Glider /dev/null

I don't know why I clicked view thread for your post, but I allready regret it.... That's why I will reported it after this post... If you have a problem with me, tough luck for you..

Anyway, if you read this entire thread you'll see that I had my share of remarks, suggestions, bugs... But unlike you I do like the new layout and see the benifits for it. I think I've proven myself in a lot of cases to be quite opposed to the mods. I've had my share of "battles" with spec :) but unlike him, you can't cope that someone goes in against your opinion.

If you want to continue your ranting against me, be sure to PM me, but stop trashing this thread.

6. LeMaltor

LeMaltor >^_^

It looks horrible, theres fecking adverts everywhere, and I cant find anything I want, well done all the same.

7. RTT

RTT #parp

Yes you are, you suck up, I know what you're up to. And it's dead easy to please 30,000 people - what are you talking about? :D:D

8. yodasarmpit

yodasarmpit Modder

LOL, your forum sucks, change it back :D

9. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

He's gearing up for his 10000th post present.

EDIT: There's an annoying bug that if I do a quick reply, then use forum jump to go back to the thread overview, my post is marked as unread.

10. Glider

Glider /dev/null

Deja vu... :D And you aren't on my ignore list... Posting under 2 nicks is forbidden, you should know that ;)

11. WireFrame

WireFrame <b>PermaBanned</b>

Its pointless argueling with you. Either deliberately or by poor translation, you seem to miss the important points, and instead turn it into a "you have a problem, deal with it, the you'll like the changes" thread. Thats just stupid. And twice I've edited what I *really* want to say to you. GRRRR.

12. RTT

RTT #parp

That's enough of that thanks mate... i'll refrain from removing your post this time only. I don't want to go down the route of deleting posts :nono:

13. Hiren

Hiren mind control Moderator

What are you on about? The number of adverts displayed hasn't changed. In fact it's the same it's always been.:sigh:

14. WireFrame

Actually, I didn't mean to post that. Hence my REAL reply. If you hadn't mentioned it, it would have gone unnoticed.

15. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

I very nearly reported it for being offensive.

16. RTT

RTT #parp

then why did you post it?

17. LeMaltor

LeMaltor >^_^

Was more an impression looking at the forum than as to what has changed :hehe: Is there no option to allow us to pay to get rid of the adverts?

18. specofdust

specofdust Banned

Could we perhaps get back to the point at hand here? This seems to have degenerated into sniping.

Wireframe: From what I've read of the thread (near all) you seem to basicly feel that the best thing that could happen to the forum would be for it to revert to how it was before. Given that this is plainly not happening in the near future (if ever) do you have any suggestions for actually improving what we've got? And please dude, try to keep yourself calm :) I love getting into a good arguement with you, and I don't wanna see you getting a temp ban or 'owt.

19. WireFrame

*hugs spec*

RTT - Posted by accident. Edited quickly when realised.
    Ok, It just seems to me that there are too many little subcategories, and too much overlap. The navigation I don't like, but that preference, and I can deal. Serious discussion, general and eveything seems to have been lumped together. "YOU CAN FILTER!" you cry, but I filtered "general" to get to the "GD" board, and nobody's posting. Its a mishmash. Whats the difference between "LOL" AND "n00b"? When have we ever had a post about food? Or beer? Or education? What does "Link" encompass? Anything with a link in it? Or a post that consists of a link, and no text?

GD is dead. Go to general and there are all sorst of posts, serious and other. Go to general/general, and its empty.
    What you really need to do is separate frivolous and non-frivolous posts. Thats what was so good about general(frivolous) / serious discussion. Then you knew what you were getting and what you were in the mood for. I would probably like it better if something like that were implemented. Serious could include "Politics", "poll", education (more likely in serious than frivolous) and obviously "serious". You could also have "news" as a new filter, i guess.
    That way, people in general get general, and theree is a separate forum for more serious discussion.

20. Callum

Callum What's a Dremel?

Maybe it's just me... but I always thought that was the whole point of tags, as opposed to folders. So that you can tag an item as belonging to several different categories. I thought that was the difference between taggin something, and putting it in a folder.

That would be the first change on my list. Not that I'm all that bothered... I don't find the forum any harder to use than before.

Actually... thinking about it, I may be one of the few who has to click less times. Before I opened feedback and photography in tabs, and then opened POTM in another tab, and then opened all new threads in tabs. (3 clicks plus number of new threads) Now I open bit-tech and Art and Photography, and open all feedback threads, and all threads in the Art forum. (2 clicks plus number of new threads) Although I do now have to spend absolutely aaaaaages to see if a thread is feedback or not before I open it. It's a real pain.

(And yes, I may have a slightly strange selection of threads that I look at, given that I don't own a camera or use photoshop, and barely use the rest of the forums any more for the feedback to actually matter to me :p)

Tags: Add Tags