1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gaming Harry Potter & the Order of the Phoenix

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 8 Jul 2007.

1. Tim S

Tim S OG

2. completemadness

completemadness What's a Dremel?

so they managed to ... improve ... ? on the previous harry potter games ? :p then again i only really played the first one

hell the only good bit of the harry potter series is the books, the films suck and the games suck even more

3. Golygus

Golygus Minimodder

Harry potter. Books are quite good (bar order of the pheonix). Game 1, too basic, 2 and 3 - a dash of fun, 4 terrible - including the litmited resolution 640*480 and the manual saying "move further away from the screen".

If they stuck to the model of game 3, things would be better for all.

I guess kids may like the ideas tho....!

4. Cupboard

Cupboard I'm not a modder.

You seemed to give it a pretty scathing review, but it still managed to get 4 out of 10. Is it possible to get less than that, or did I miss something that this game does right?

5. Tim S

Tim S OG

sound and voice acting :p

6. Kipman725

Kipman725 When did I get a custom title!?!

the game boy colour harry potter and the philosophers stone game was quite fun :p

7. Mr-IK

Mr-IK Minimodder

Were i the only one to notice the "Press *button* to get your wand out" in the screenshot?

hm, maybe im just a perv.

8. Spacecowboy92

Spacecowboy92 Gettin' Lazy

I guess its quite hard for an adult to review a game aimed at children, I can think of some people who would enjoy this game, and the 'humor' and runing around. And think the "next generation" graphics are quite phenominal.

Last edited: 8 Jul 2007
  9. aggies11

aggies11 What's a Dremel?

I played the first three harry potter games for PC, as I have younger cousins who were into the series. (I'm admittedly a big fan of the books, although I do think it most definitely peaked at Goblet of Fire, and hasn't been as good since). The first three were fairly simple games aimed at a younger crowded with easy controls and shallow gameplay. Lighthearted romps through the world of Hogwarts. Good for what they were, but by no means living up to the potential of the Harry Potter franchise. (I had heard a little bit better reports on the console games, but only had brief experiences with them).

I had high hopes for this one, as it finally looked like it was going to be an "immersive" experience. After trying the PC version, I do honestly like the previous one's better. Clunky controls, not that great visuals (although rather poor performance) and just overall shallow gameplay.

I'm curious about the Wii version though, as rather than "mouse gestures" for spells, it will use the remote. If the controls + camera are better in that version, it might be enough to make the endeavour worthwhile. But if the Wiimote simply replaces the mouse, and all else is the same, I'd definitely say take a pass on both of them :/

Aggies

10. Almightyrastus

Almightyrastus On the jazz.

now a harry potter game with the same tongue in cheek humour of the monkey island series or even WOW together with, as was mentioned, the travel system a la Oblivion would be a bigger step in the right direction

11. DarkLord7854

DarkLord7854 What's a Dremel?

Maybe :p

12. supermonkey

supermonkey Deal with it

My wife, being a huge fan of the series, is currently playing the Wii version. From what I've observed, you use the nunchuck to move around and the Wiimote to cast spells. Spell casting is performed by waving the Wiimote around in specific gestures. Different gestures produce different spells.

It looked pretty fun from what I saw.

-monkey

13. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

The wii version isn't much better and, having borrowed the DS version from Riyad, I can say that it really is one of the worst games I've played in a long time.

I think if they want to make a good potter game then they have to abandon this kind of gameplay and make it into a 3D adventure game, like the new Sam and Max or Grim Fandango.

It's only so long before someone makes a crappy MMO of it though.

14. DarkLord7854

DarkLord7854 What's a Dremel?

I think there is enough with RP chat rooms >.>

15. K

K 528491

Why is bit-tech reviewing a Harry Potter game? The game is targeted well below what I imagine is the general demographic age of bit-tech's readership.

16. CardJoe

Because a lot of bit-tech readers tend could be parents or, at the very least, act as technological and game gurus for most of their friends and family.

17. K

K 528491

And that kinda thing can't be left to the mainstream press? I find it pretty bizarre to be honest, and probably a huge waste of the reviewer's time. But if this is the direction bit-tech is heading in, so be it. I'll just visit less and less I suppose :/

18. CardJoe

Actually this review was written by a guy who was here on work experience, so it freed up time for everyone else to concentrate on other, bigger projects, like Lost Planet and the PSU round-up. But I take your point. Don't worry, we're not going to go all mainstream press on you, it's purely that the we felt Harry Potter was sufficently large and popular to review in this case, especially given how 'dark' the new storyline is supposed to be.

As always, people can drop me an email at joe.martin@bit-tech.net if they want to request particular types of gaming content. Bit-tech is all about the community and we always do our best to ensure that you're happy. Remember - it's up to you to guide us!

19. Godboy_g

Godboy_g What's a Dremel?

I own the Wii version of this game, and while there is definately room for improvement, I kind of like the game. It takes a bit to get into, and Ron and Hermonie are a bit annoying at bits with their constant reminders of "Remember to look out for so and so" quest reminders, and the fact that they can get in your way.

Overall though, it's fun waving the wii remote around to cast, Plus you can chuck stuff at the other characters in the game. It doesn't hurt them, but it's really fun throwing boulders at Ron and knocking him over...LOL

For those that are curious, you use both the Wii remote and nunchuck to cast spells. Depending on which ones you're doing.

Also, the review forgot to mention the mini-games as well. you can play wizards chess, Gob stones, and Exploding Snap. not the most advanced games, but it adds a bit of fun :)

Also there is a room of rewards that has clips, and such about the movie. Plus farther on, you're supposed to be able to play as dubmeldore and a few other characters, but I havent gotten that far, so I dont' know for sure.

20. supermonkey

supermonkey Deal with it

Why shouldn't Bit-Tech review a Harry Potter game? As Joe said, many of us are parents, and would love to see a review of a children's game.

Just as well, a lot of us still enjoy playing children's games ourselves. Just because I can legally watch R-rated movies, doesn't mean I can't enjoy a good kid's movie every now and then. Sometimes the simplicity of a children's game is a nice change of pace from stealing cars and killing things.

-monkey

Tags: Add Tags