1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Class action lawsuit filed against Xbox 360

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 10 Jul 2007.

1. Tim S

Tim S OG

2. TheDean

TheDean What's a Dremel?

It is about time!!! My GoW disc is unusable due to this problem and MS want me to pay £10 for another disc :eeek:

3. Delphium

Delphium Eyefinity enabled

I am glad that I managed to resist the temptation of purchasing a 360 as they seam to be plagued with faults it would appear :eeek:.
    *Awaits for his Wii seing as the PS3's are overpriced i feel.

4. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

"he who seeds winds, reaps storms"

i would really like to hear the pooping noise, of heads coming out of buts, coming from Microsoft HQ.

5. alastor

alastor Minimodder

Brasso does work very well, managed to get a few discs working that wouldn't be read at all. As for the case, can't imagine it'll get far.

6. DarkLord7854

DarkLord7854 What's a Dremel?

I've always thought people who sue others should be shot, and still do. Unless it's something very important. Honestly, if your disk got scratched, they should just let you return it along with the 360, and that's it. If you keep it, knowing full well what it does, then that's your problem.

7. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

I've seen quite a few discs scratched like that back when I was working at a video store... it's about time that Microsoft finally did something about it. Or, at least, the people who were affected by the crap DVD drive in the thing.

A class-action is pretty different than a normal lawsuit, since it's regarding a widespread issue affecting a great number of people. You know, for a serious issue that you can't individually sue over. In any case, retailers would refuse to accept the disk under the assumption that you mishandled it so you'd be SOL.

8. zhangmaster12

zhangmaster12 What's a Dremel?

i have a friend whose xbox 360 totaly fcked up his GoW disk.

9. flacowboy

flacowboy What's a Dremel?

i bought my 360 when they came out and have not had any problems wiht scratches but then i dont move it when its on and has a disk in it i think this country is to sue happy nothing is ever perfect and you have to use your head sometimes

10. LVMike

LVMike What's a Dremel?

my first 360 did that to a raindow6 Vegas disk. I returned the disk got a new one.. it did it again. I returned the 360 and picked up an elite and haven't had that problem.

11. [USRF]Obiwan

[USRF]Obiwan What's a Dremel?

This is a known problem. In my country Microsoft has admits this fault. But only after "kassa" (a dutch concumer programme tv program) did research in the situation after consumers complains. You can read and watch all about it here

12. KMS-oul

KMS-oul You think you know me.

My first 360 DVD drive left GREASE marks on oblivion. It wiped off thank heavens but after a day or so of playing it would accumulate again. Very strange.

13. otispunkmeyer

otispunkmeyer What's a Dremel?

too right..... my discs are being slowly eroded by my 360.

forza 2 chokes to death on the intro screens because of either scratches or a dodgy drive. thankfully the game plays fine except for the odd occasions where the disc just stops spinning (because its having trouble reading) and the track goes all transparent. my GoW disc was ruined as well, but thankfully that happened pretty much the day i bought it and tesco took it back no questions asked

14. Hells_Bliss

Hells_Bliss What's a Dremel?

I just think MS quality control got high when testing. Another reason why you shouldn't work! err...do drugs! yeah.

15. riggs

riggs ^_^

The only time we've scratched a disc was when my housemate moved the console whilst it was reading...other than that, it's been fine [crosses fingers!]

16. Swafeman

Swafeman Minimodder

i think the majority of the problems is when you move the console when its reading, isnt it? of course, the guy in the law suit isnt going to admit it, but theres somethign wrong with most lazers when they get moved, as the beam is moving and has some sort of effect on it

this happened a couple of times to my mate using his ps2... he changed it from flat to verticle twice, and twice it ruined games. obviously the 360s lazer causes more problems as not many people with ps2s complained, but i think its more a fault of moving the lazer in most cases than an actual dodgy lazer being used

17. mikeuk2004

mikeuk2004 What you Looking at Fool!

In almost 7 months of ownership I dont think any of my discs are scratched, will have to check when I get home. Ms wont do anything about it, they will fight it and trample all over them and continue to sell defective products. They have had over 20 years of selling defective products and got away with it any people still buy them :)

Ms should suck it up and do a complete recall of all the 360's out their in circulation and replace them with well manufactured units that dont overheat crash and scratch disks.

18. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

I don't think it's anything to do with the laser, but the housing of the laser, it's is crap so parts of it rub on the disk and scratch it up. There isn't just one type of drive in the 360's, there are about three different models of DVD drives I think, all of them scratch the disk if you tilt it (yes it's stupid to do that while it's on, but a lot of people do, and MS should have accounted for that and used a disk drive that wouldn't care if you moved it like the PS2 had) but it might be that one model has a tendency to chew up disks when the console is completely stationary.

otispunkmeyer: I get that problem with Forza 2 too, I think it's more of a problem with the game, since I rarely get it with any other game (apart from GoW but they fixed that it seems).

As much as I like the 360, whoever was responsible for letting the console out for sale needs a slap, it's a pretty shoddy design that ruins a perfectly good console.

19. Lucidity

Lucidity What's a Dremel?

If you don't want your discs to get scratched up don't move the console while its on, and don't keep it upright. Even though the console is designed to work in the upright position the slightest vibration to the surface it is sitting on could cause the disc to move and get scratched. Something as simple as walking by your entertainment center could cause enough movement of the console to scratch the disc. The PS2 has the same problem. My console sits horizontally and since launch day has yet to scratch a disc. Call me a fanboy if you want, but I now own a PS3, and had a will (hated it and sold it).

20. Tokukachi

Tokukachi Minimodder

The solutions simple, Dont put your console in the vertical postion, CD/DVD drives are not really designed for this and will scratch the Discs. This has been a problem since the PS2 came out and no one seams to learn

Tags: Add Tags