1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Engraving 101

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 10 Jul 2007.

1. Dira

Dira What's a Dremel?

A reversed swastica is an egyptic symbol for the sun I think someone said once. Thats where those nuts got the symbol from. Enought about that. Rly well done mate. Your an inspiration!

2. SPQQKY

SPQQKY Evil Modder

Those look to be small letter engravers, not really practical for artistic use.

3. EmJay

EmJay What's a Dremel?

Nice guide. I'd love to see another installment covering various 'tricks', like Wolverine hinted at. :D

4. stoff3r

stoff3r What's a Dremel?

fantastic work. love the clean lines. my engraving is so rugged and uneven, my ratbert looks good from far off though. dogbert next! this article really gave me inspiration to continiue!

5. Morphine-Kitty

Morphine-Kitty Dead account.

Good work Wolverine but... engraving on wood is where all the cool kids are at. :p

6. Goty

Goty Minimodder

I knew there was a reason I didn't like Kappa Sigs =P

(just kidding, I've got quite a few friends there)

Awesome article all around.

7. jezmck

jezmck Minimodder

:duh:

8. MoRBiD

MoRBiD Minimodder

Brilliant absolutely brilliant... i think i might have found a new hobby ...

giz a lil while and i will show off some peices i have stored in my noggin ... w000t wolverine ur a FaRkIn LegeNd

9. Koradhil

Koradhil What's a Dremel?

Really nice and helpfull article :thumb:
    I was missing some things though. Dremel also has some tools especially good for engraving, the Stylus and the Engraver. Also another good way of getting your design onto the material is printing it with a laser printer and using thinner to get the ink onto the material, as described here (in dutch).

10. Mr. Oizo

Mr. Oizo That yellow furry animal-thingy

Great article, but since I am a engraver, I miss some things:

I miss MIRROR ENGRAVING.
    I miss the great tip for getting your drawings ON the mirror (or perhaps metal too), just print the drawings WITH A LASERPRINTER, and then place it on the mirror and then polish thinner on the paper. Then the LASER printed part (Toner) will get off the paper, on the mirror.

Also, see my CIP where I let you all see this.

http://www.casejunkies.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=14869&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=45

Sorry for Dutch, but I cant find my CIP on Bit-Tech.net anymore.

11. Sebbo

Sebbo What's a Dremel?

reminds me of "washing" from painting warhammer (and others) miniatures. some slightly watered down paint (or inks work well) and brush it on, will go into all the recesses.

would anyone recommend using (or has used) an engraving pen (also called a marking pen) to do any of these? (for those that don't know, its pen shaped and has a small, metal tip that vibrates very quickly... like this, not always air powered though)

12. japala

japala What's a Dremel?

And remember the layered lighting that I introduced in my 2002 Router article. This effect can add a whole new dimension to the final piece.

[​IMG]

13. Edvuld

Edvuld Minimodder

Great article, and awesome work mate =D

Pic 13 seems to be wrong though?

Have you done any engraving in glass? I'm thinking of starting with that since acrylic scratches so easy, but from what I've been told the dust can be really dangerous...

Last edited: 11 Jul 2007
  14. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

Here's one. I want to engrave the JD style stuff on my 360 case (it's been painted black), do I have to take any extra precautions or are the acrylic bits fine?

15. Koradhil

Koradhil What's a Dremel?

Something like this?

http://www.mytoolstore.com/dremel/290-01.jpg

I've tried it and it works good for engraving lines, but not so well for doing surfaces.

16. Sebbo

Sebbo What's a Dremel?

yeah, that looks similar to what i'll have access to koradhil, except a bit older (at least 20 years older)...i will also have access to a flex-shaft, but an engraving pen is much more portable
    most of what i'm going to be will probably be lines in perspex...gotta clean and polish the sheets up first

17. Edvuld

Edvuld Minimodder

That dragon makes me wanna move to a new place with doors like that. - Just so I can engrave them ><

Nice one!

18. Smilodon

Smilodon The Antagonist

the original doors are solid, plain white. (made from some cardboard-like stuff). I had to make a new door.

19. The_Gnu

The_Gnu 8-bit addict

Very nice engravings, admire your work a lot. Especialy your mirror ideas. But I noticed something. Not a big thing to even bother mention but on page 3 where you engrave the bit-tech logo, you say "Right - The 7105 bit is used for some fill-work" and on the picture is the 7103 bit. Just out of curiosity I wonder if you used the 7105 att all on that loggo or did you do all the filling with the smaller 7103

/GNU

20. [WP@]WOLVERINE

[WP@]WOLVERINE What's a Dremel?

I actually did use the bigger bit for the filling its just i miss in the picture.

Tags: Add Tags