1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Electronics Cell phone modding

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Isuo, 12 Jul 2007.

1. Isuo

Isuo What's a Dremel?

Ok, what I'm planning to do is leave my cell phone battery and start using normal batteries instead. My problem is, however the middle pin (SE J100i).
    I mean the pin which shows the charge of the battery.
    So the thing goes, what do I have to connect in that pin to make the phone show the charge of any given battery?

I got an answer to this from a cell phone forum, and apparently the cell phone batteris have the feature built in them, but I don't really trust them too much. Would there be a way to hack the battery open and connect a couple of wires or something?

The second thing is, that If I bought one of those battery charge status showing gizmos, do they drain energy in the long run?

PS; looks like the forums have changed once again and I don't like them one bit...

2. DarkLord7854

DarkLord7854 What's a Dremel?

You're saying you want your phone to run on AA batteries? o_O

What kind of phone is it? I have a phone which runs on AA rechargeable batteries but it's got a European charger, granted, the batteries are encased, and it doesn't even last a day on full charge, much less if I make calls :p

3. Isuo

Isuo What's a Dremel?

Exactly!
    It's the SonyEricsson j100i, small basic phone (nomp3, camera, radio...). It has got a 900mAh battery, but I don't like it too much.
    The thing why I want to make it, is to keep the phone going for a year with one charge. If that means a garage full of car batteries, then so be it.
    Well, maybe not for a year, but anyways longer than a week...

4. const_

const_ What's a Dremel?

from what i understand is you got some kind of project that require a phone battery lasting very very long time and not planing to make it portable.

try thinking green ! how about solar panels? giant ones. wouldn't that be cool ?? a phone with a fat cluster of batteries and a big solar panel that recharges it.

battery charge = infinity, no need for any circuitry to show battery status

just an idea though

5. Isuo

Isuo What's a Dremel?

Hmmhmm, solar panels would be nice, but I don't know any decent priced shops from where I could buy them (I live in Europe).

Last edited: 13 Jul 2007
  6. jakenbake

jakenbake full duplex

ya, if you have the money. they cost a fortune for not-so-great efficiency.

7. C-Sniper

C-Sniper Stop Trolling this space Ądmins!

use a kinetic energy device that as you walk, recharges it.

8. Koradhil

Koradhil What's a Dremel?

If you don't need it to be portable, why don't you just keep it connected to the charger?
    Would probably be easier to get a 12V car charger and hook that up to 12V batteries.

9. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

The only problem with trying to run it on batteries is that the normal battery usually gives out an unusual, consistant voltage to the phone (afaik) - whereas AA batteries vary their voltage dependant on their charge.

10. Isuo

Isuo What's a Dremel?

Using a car battery would robably be the easiest way. I suppose a car battery would last a long time, but does anyone know the mAh- thing of a car battery?

e: Korad: Do you know any proper electorincs shops in Holland or Belgium?

11. Koradhil

Koradhil What's a Dremel?

12. Isuo

Isuo What's a Dremel?

Excellent, thank you!