1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Networks Unusually large amount of errors?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Boswell, 13 Jul 2007.

1. Boswell

Boswell Minimodder

Hi on my D-Link 'gaming router' (the dgl 4300), it has a wireless function that networks all the computers in the house. But I have noticed (in particular on one desktop computer) that the internet connection is particuarly slow and since this morning has been dropping its connection every 5-10 mins or so.

My house is fairly large so I have actually bought a "9dbi Long Range Extender WiFi Antenna" last week or so, it is been fine and I have since had a slightly better connection (but no major improvements:sigh:).

But anyway I noticed on the routers control panel in the 'Statistics' area I am dropping packets and getting a lot of errors, the results are as follows:

Wireless Statistics

Sent : 56632 Received : 34115
    TX Packets Dropped : 986 Errors : 100186

I restarted the router this morning (after trying to work out why the connection was dropping) so this is just todays stats!!

An emulator of the routers control panel can be found here (no password needed). Hopefully someone can help me determine why I'm dropping so many packets and receiving so many errors.

Thanks

Ed

Edit: the firmware is up-to-date!
    Edit 2: opps I think this was surposed to go under tech support :)

2. tzang

tzang Traditional Nutter

Have you tried changing the channel for the wireless?
    It is possible for interference causing the packet loss and errors (interference from other wireless networks and also Bluetooth devices, which runs on similar frequencies as wireless networks from channel 6 and above).

3. fivecheebs

fivecheebs Dont panic!

Indeed... Do you live in a fairly built up area? Those popular BT home hub boxes have caused some problems for a mate. If a neighbour recently had one (or any other wireless G router on an adjacent or the same channel) installed it could cause a problem.

Use Netstumbler to do a site survey, then set your channel to at least 2 away from anything else.

4. fivecheebs

fivecheebs Dont panic!

OOps please delete. :duh:

5. Amon

Amon inch-perfect

Wrap aluminum foil around your router's antenna in a familiar shape, like a satellite dish, focusing inwards of your house towards your most-used WiFi areas. This will actually strengthen your signal when using WiFi in the focused range.

6. Boswell

Boswell Minimodder

I actually live quite far from other houses and can never pick up other wifi connections. I once picked up local primary schools connection but they have a secure network and their pcs probably default connect to the schools connection. But anyway I need the channel 6 for my sisters 108mbps card - unless she has 54 mbps...but then it would have been pretty pointless getting the faster card.
    I'll try that and the the foil idea although I doubt the parents would like it. Keep the ideas coming in though.

Ed

edit: ooo the computer that drops the connection has a wireless logitech keyboard and mouse (MX 3000 - keyboard) - not sure what the mouse is but they are both pretty new. Could this be the problem?
    My dads laptop has intergrated wireless and bluetooth (both turned on) - would the bluetooth really interfere?

7. Amon

Amon inch-perfect

Wireless peripherals using the same band will interfere. Example: my G7 can sometimes make faint wireless networks disappear from being detected on my lappy at all: 2.4GHz.

8. tzang

tzang Traditional Nutter

Wireless keyboard and mouse can interfere, in fact, anything wireless or emitting radio waves can interfere with your wireless network.

With regards to your dad's laptop, the bluetooth does interfere with wireless if the wireless runs on a similar frequency to the bluetooth (between channel 6 and 12). I have this problem often with my bluetooth mouse (Wireless Notebook Presenter 8000) as channel 6 is somewhat common as a default configuration for wireless in the UK and the mouse usually misbehaves whether I use my laptop's in-built bluetooth or the supplied bluetooth dongle along with wireless. It's annoying but doesn't affect overall use, it's just nice to know that a £50 mouse runs worse than those old mouse with the mouse balls inside :grr:

Tags: