1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Apple Must-Have Software for your Mac

Discussion in 'Software' started by Hex, 6 Mar 2005.

1. Deep-Blue

Deep-Blue Part-time Overclocker

If you want to pay for it, Sophos does exactly that. One of my clients has a couple of macs on their network, and they have an enterprise copy of Sophos, with full on-access scanning. TBH the macs can't exactly catch the virus as SUCH, but it can be a carrier, so its safer for them to have it than not.

Not cheap tho...

2. bradford010

bradford010 Bradon Frohman

Yea, should've mentioned my personal experience with Sophos and it being pretty weak. :duh: The EM will only run on Windows (not sure about *NIX, don't think so though) and the client lacks a lot of features for a 'commercial enterprise' product.
    Also heard McAffee is pretty poor, and I wouldn't touch Norton with yours!
    I remember when I first rolled out CS2 and the CPU would become saturated when trying to print (mostly just from AICS2) and printing would literally take 45 minutes. Turned out to be the Sophos scanner going nuts and scanning the print job!!

I notice though that after actually taking a good dig into ClamXAV prefs you can set it up as a sentry and watch nominated folders. Would be a killer AV app with an EM.

If anyone else manages Macs in a business/education environment then check out (if you haven't already)...
    Carbon Copy Cloner -- Great clone tool, useful for backing up, ghetto fabulous for quick and dirty rollouts (think I'm repeating someone else's suggestion with this)
    NetRestore -- The successor to CCC for rollouts, tonnes of useful stuff (Bombich Cheesecake!)
    Apple Remote Desktop -- Does what it says. Easy to pick up, powerful when mastered.
    Radmind -- Can be used to cover the software rollout/management shortfalls of ARD.

Oh, and recently came across this (free) alternative to AppZapper, AppTrap. Difference is AppTrap is a PrefPane which kicks in whenever you drag an app to the trash.
    And another! WhatSize, scan your drive for info on file and folder sizes. Drill down through a layout not unlike Finders column view.
    Those Synergy posts confused me! My experience of Synergy is sharing one Keyboard and mouse between a PC and a Mac. GUI wrapper also available.

Last edited: 13 Jul 2007
  3. Shagbag

Shagbag All glory to the Hypnotoad!

MacFusion.

It lets you mount your server as if it's just another volume on your PC, ie. all your PC's applications have direct access to the files located on your server. There's no need to copy them across and then access them, MacFusion will allow your apps to access them as if they're on your PC's hard drive - even though they're physically sitting on your server's hard drive.

As it uses OpenSSH for its encryption you can be anywhere in the world and mount your server securely. For example, your server can be sitting in your lounge room/study/spare room/etc. and you can be on the other side of the world. You can use MacFusion to securely mount your server over the internet and all your apps will behave as if the files were on your (local) PC's hard drive.

4. bradford010

bradford010 Bradon Frohman

Good call, been using it myself for a while for secure ftp connections.
    Not really had any issues thus far.

MacFusion is actually a GUI for MacFUSE, the OS X port of FUSE (File-system in USErspace).

5. beamifrend

beamifrend What's a Dremel?

Any recommendations on cheap music creation software that would work on a G3?

6. Sam0r

Sam0r It's been a while

Cubase SE 1.05. I use it on my powerbook :)

I've used it on a 350mhz G3 as well and it ran rather well considering!

7. RTT

RTT #parp

8. M_D_K

M_D_K Modder

Adium - quite a nice little chat program handles pretty much everything, bit like Trillian.

Little snitch
    - Quote - "Little Snitch tells you when a program tries to send info to the Internet so you can see what's going on in the background!"
    Transmission - Really good bit-torrent client.

9. Murdoc

Murdoc Gas Mask..ZOMG

Excellent, just what I have been after.

10. Jamie

Jamie ex-Bit-Tech code junkie

StreamRipperX - Lets you record your fav internet radio for listening to later or on the go.

Handbrake - Very easy to use video encoder

VisualHub - Best app to convert video for use on ipods,psp,etc

11. Fr4nk

Fr4nk Tyrannosaurus Alan !

Azurues/VUZE - Personally prefer this over Transmission

Shapeshifter - Guikit applier .etc- basically windows blinds for mac :p

CoverSutra - Displays Album art on desktop in a jewel case, as well as a mini player/remote

Gmail Notifier - self explanatory

Inquistor for safari - a class plugin for safari - works like firefox suggestions but is considorably more custmiseble :)

And Pages 08 is excellent - much better than word 2007 - keynote too but numbers is slipping - compared to office... Though I really don't use spreadsheets so its all good :)

/Fr4nk

Last edited: 30 Oct 2007
  12. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

Numbers 08 is also far better than office 07.. Shiney 3D Graphs anyone?

13. koola

koola Minimodder

14. Draxin

Draxin Seeker of Photons

15. dragontail

dragontail 5bet Bluffer

I second Quicksilver. Probably the best productivity app on the market today. Seriously useful, and you won't be able to live without it once you tried it :S

16. koola

koola Minimodder

Smultron - Great alternative to TextMate and free. Features in syntax colouring, tabs, auto-completion etc...

17. ryanjleng

ryanjleng ...

Yes! i like their software.

ehm..

KisMAC
    http://kismac.macpirate.ch/

18. Softix

Softix What's a Dremel?

I have newly acquired MAC and I am glad that I was able to come across this thread. I was indeed looking for MAC downloadable software which I will used in my MAC . Anyway thanks for sharing all useful links here.

19. ckrieger

ckrieger What's a Dremel?

Yeah, Coda definitely is the best web development software I've used. Panic makes the best software. Coda's a bit pricy, but it's well worth it.

20. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

I must agree. I just bought the thing, and it wins.

Tags: