1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PSU for sli 8800GTXs

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Awoken, 15 Jul 2007.

1. Awoken

Awoken Gazing at the stars

Are there any PSUs which have enough gfx connectors for sli'd 8800GTX's?
    Would a good brand (Antec, Coolermaster or Enermax) need anything over 700-750W to cope with:

Core 2 Quad Pro 6600 (Overclocked)
    Evga 680i
    2x1GB OCZ Reaper 9200C5
    2x8800GTX in SLI (Overclocked)
    3x500GB Samsung HDD
    SATA Samsung DVDRW

Indications seem to be that power draw for such a rig is ~450W at stock. I'm trying to avoid the 1KW if possible but I'd like advice from anyone who has tried a sli 8800gtx system.

2. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

I'd say 750-800W would be fine for that imho. Stick to the big brands, read a few reviews about how they behave under load and you'll be fine I'm sure. :)

3. Awoken

Noise is the big concern as I like to run my gaming rigs as quietly as possible. Does anyone have a recommendation on this front? I'm leaning towards the Enermax Infiniti 720W or the Coolermaster RS 850W (Which is rumoured to be a purring beast noisewise).

4. Colossous

Colossous Minimodder

Enermax Infinity is a very highly rated psu and would be perfect for your needs ! :thumb:

5. Shark00n

Shark00n What's a Dremel?

Enermax Galaxy 850W. Very silent and Efficient PSU, uses two transformers to ensure consistency of power in order not to damage anything.

The only downside is it's size, but it's modular.

6. Bbq.of.DooM

Bbq.of.DooM Custom User Title

Seasonic M12 700
    Silverstone OP650
    Silverstone Zeus 750
    Silverstone Zeus 850
    Silverstone OP 750
    Silverstone Strider 750
    Silverstone OP 1000

7. Shark00n

I wouldn't go with Silverstone, WAY too noisy IMHO.

8. trig

trig god's little mistake

have you ever owned a silverstone? im guessing no, as they are some of the quietest out.

9. Shark00n

You must be joking. They are the most loud PSUs on the market. Sure they're really really good, but I just can't handle the noise of those 80mm they put on those things.

The PSU I pointed out has a 1400RPM fan which is very silent, and a 80mm fan, also very silent, that only turns on when absolutly needed

10. Bbq.of.DooM

depends. If it's the Zeus series, with the 80mm fans, then they're pretty quiet at low loads, and a bit louder at high loads. The Olympia 1kw also has the 80mm fan.

But you'll notice, all the other silverstone's i have listed have 120mm fans.

And, even the 80mm in the Zeus at full blast is nowhere near as loud as a PCP&C.

11. Awoken

I ruled out Silverstone as they have suffered from voltage stability problems under load (Custom PC Review).

12. Bbq.of.DooM

Depends which model, and what testing equiptment.. Silverstone Zeus and Olympia and Decathlon psu's would not suffer from voltage stability. The Strider 650 and up (650, 750, 850, 1000) aren't too hot for regulation, but still well within the limits.

That, and what was CustomPC using to test? A system? Try someone with a real load tester that can load up a psu all the way, varying loads, crossloads, ripple, etc. A system will never be able to do that. Jonnyguru.com and hardocp.com are two of the best. Read before you believe a simple magazine article.

13. lamboman

lamboman What's a Dremel?

650W+ is good for that setup.

14. dimebar

dimebar What's a Dremel?

the enermax galaxy 850 is not quiet at over 1/2 load, and enoying at over 3/4 but is rock solid stable
    and the coolermaster realpower pro 850 i had issues with for electrical noise, and inductor hum. had to return 2 of them.

i would recomend the silverstone 850 though.
    i would not go lower than 850 for your rig IMHO.

15. GuitarBizarre

GuitarBizarre <b>banned</b>

No-one will ever need a 1KW PSU. I'd set 800Watts as an absolute limit on PSU power for any system you could build today. For the most part, a high power test system will never come anywhere close to stretching an 800 watt unit, or even a good 600 watt. 1Kw units are pretty much just PC penis extensions.

I would not build a system of any spec these days, with any more than a 750 watt unit. But thats me. It may well be worth it to some to go out and buy those 1KW portable power plants, but I'd only go that far if I had plans to run 3 watercooling loops AND overclock the bejeebus out of every component I could find a block for.

Last edited: 18 Jul 2007
  16. SPQQKY

SPQQKY Evil Modder

I have to agree that a 1K PSU is way overkill. Also, I don't like the Silverstones as they can tend to be noisy, others who don't think so must be def or have other fans that are even louder.
    The Enermax Infiniti 720w is an excellent choice. More than enough power and very quiet.

dimebar, how did you even get to use 3/4 of the Galaxy's power with your system? That's almost 650w and the most I have ever seen a system similar to yours pull is under 500w and that was with 4 cores under 100% load, gfx at full load and 4 HDD's being accessed at the same time.

17. GuitarBizarre

GuitarBizarre <b>banned</b>

I may as well add that for future power supply reviews that mean something, anandtech have just built a custom facility for PSU testing. They even have an anoechoic chamber, so they have a one up on [H] for power supply testing in that regard. (In addition to a better web design and imo more professional reviewers.)

Only review they have up right now is for a Silverstone 650W though, which didn't fare incredibly.

Last edited: 18 Jul 2007
  18. Awoken

I'm leaning towards the Infiniti 720W with the only thing giving me pause is that I might install a 12V pump for WC and so a 800/850W would give me a little more headroom for an overclock and the pump running.

19. kimandsally

kimandsally What's a Dremel?

Look where the review was done ( Enermax) then look as if by magic EVERY Enermax wins an award, Custom PChave lost my respect, the last time they did them at a Tagen office abroad, and guess what the Tagen won that time.

One PSU that has never had a bad review is the Etasis 850 on any other decent honest test bed yet they found fault with it, I used to work on racing motorcycles and operate a dynomometer and believe me you can easily fix the figures.

20. SPQQKY

SPQQKY Evil Modder

Well, considering the peak power you will need when running that rig is with every peripheral at 100% draw is about 450w, I'd say that leaves about 300w+ left for your pump.....I think the 720w Infiniti is still more than enough.:rolleyes: