1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyone else annoyed by those incredibly bright LEDs on their electronics?

Discussion in 'General' started by Dredog, 20 Jul 2007.

1. relix

relix Minimodder

Yeah, thanks for the colour.

I'm not powering off my switch. I'm not unplugging my PC's. It's called Wake-On-Lan, and it's something that's worth the fifty cents of power a year it's using. I'm not unplugging my monitors, I like how they go on and off automatically. It's called luxury, and it's something I'm willing to pay for, too.

See, I have no car. I do everything by bike. I don't even commute. I live in a 4m by 2m dorm-room. I have no TV. My fridge is so small it can't even contain a week's worth of caffeine-laced beverages. According to that funny quiz somewhere on the intertubes, if everyone would be living with an ecological footprint as "large" as mine, it'd only take one and a half globe to support the human race. Most people need four. What's your ecological footprint?

So to avoid feeling like I live in the Dark Ages, I want my monitors to turn on automatically, and I want to start and shutdown my PC's from a remote location. It's my vice. I think it's not that bad to use an obvious exorbitant [sic] amount of power to make it happen. I do, however, get all warm and fuzzy inside when I see my monitors power-on by themselves and a kitten dies because of it.

Also, I don't live in your country. At least, I hope so, for your sake. :D

2. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

According to a CO2 thingy, my output is 4.48tonnes/year (I really must stop eating so many baked beans) and my target is 2.5 something or other! What tosh! Apart from pulling all the roof tiles off to stick a ruddy great solar panel on and filling the garden with wind turbines, that's impossible for me. How else am I to light my year round 60' light up Santa with a gazillion lightbulbs? Sheesh, they ask too much these people.

3. will.

will. A motorbike of jealousy!

Apart from the costing a few cents bit, (i'm UKish and we have £'s) and my room is 1 meter larger all round that pretty much describes my existence. Did the test too, and got the same results.
    I quite like the little LED's though. I make sure that they don't face me directly in bed otherwise they are a little blinding. But they provide a little bit of light if I ever need to get up and throw stuff at noisy people outside.

4. DarkLord7854

DarkLord7854 What's a Dremel?

I got annoyed of my router/modem and finally just chucked that crap into my closet, made the wires go to it, and never worry about it. However, when going to bed I have to flip my PSU switch otherwise there's this blasted tiny blue LED which just bathes my entire room in a bright blue light >.<

5. RTT

RTT #parp

Dunno why [color] was enabled, must've been reset when we moved to vBull 3.6.x. Needless to say, no more colors anymore :thumb:

6. The_Beast

The_Beast I like wood ಠ_ಠ

shut it down, turn it off, tape it or paint it

7. chrisb2e9

chrisb2e9 Dont do that...

i've seen suggestions to use tape. thats the way to go if you wont turn it off. but I would suggest electrical tape. Just because its black and a bit thicker so less light will bleed through.
    and as far as turning this stuff off to save the planet, you should of seen what happened when a main breaker blew at the gas plant that I work at. 700 natural gas wells all being channeled into one pipe that goes 100ft up into the air and is then lit on fire. It was like there was a second sun in the sky.

8. Bungle

Bungle Rainbow Warrior

Well, I do have a troublesome rechargeable Toothbrush which flashes a nice blue in the room at night. Problem is, if I wake up half way through the night I have a panic attack that the police are outside my window.:duh:

9. Nath

Nath Your appeal has already been filed.

Do you sleep with your eyes open or something? I've got a few bright LCDs/LEDs in my room, and often go to bed when it's getting light but it never seems to make any difference. :worried:

10. kempez

kempez modding again!

My PC (see spec below) uses 0.7w on standby, so your right :)

11. M3G4

M3G4 talkie walkie

My iMac is a little annoying, but it's also not half as bad as the macbook, who's standby light I think is trying to be the sun.

Usually the worst offenders are white, green and red L.E.D's. That said, my AV equipment is fine - it's the computer equipment which is in danger of replacing common lightbulbs. The router I've got has 6 high intensity green L.E.D's, the macs have overly bright white ones, and my USB hub looks akin to a christmas tree. And the sodding PDA light never goes off! :(

12. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

The only annoying light is mrs kenco's Blackberry - the flashing green light bathes the whole room. Needless to say, it gets switched off.

13. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

I'm quite sick of the little LEDs on everything as well. My PC has one of those blue search-lights that not only prevents me from tripping on anything at night, but feels the need to BLINK rather than stay solid where I'd have half a chance of ignoring it (damn you standby!). Of course, the VFD on the front of the computer is my fault, but I've also got some pretty bright stuff on my speaker controls and laptop. Thankfully my switch is tucked away behind my trash can so I don't see it.

I do my best to ignore them, but I've taken to propping up anything I can find in a position where it blocks the light from reaching my bed-ridden eyes. Tripod, bank statement, remote control, small analog clock (no lights!), whatever. Not perfect, but it helps get the job done well enough.

14. Tyinsar

Tyinsar 6 screens 1 card since Nov 17 2007

Get out of my head, I was going to post exactly that

postcount +1:naughty:

15. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

what you don't illuminate your room with it?
    Today my room is blue, with flashing green.

16. ReFredzRate

ReFredzRate Relix Headshot!!

Me and my wife only produce 4.5 tonnes/year. Did you calculate for your entire household, or individually?

17. ikra

ikra What's a Dremel?

ONLY 4.5tonees/year

lol

I even was planning on getting a second hand x1950xtx yesterday and realised that power hungry monster consumes 110watts at peak and i said damn i dont want to burn all those coal for myself otherwise id be an inconsiderate greedy *******. Imagine if all the WoW addicts played with a x1950xtx... thank god wow doesnt need a card that top end to run!!!