1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress Project: Extreme Air - Updated: 16th October, Better Final Pics + News

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Zero_Limits, 30 May 2007.

1. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

Nice video!

2. wbdog206

wbdog206 not me

i think it looks great.
    it is really loud in the video.

3. C-Sniper

C-Sniper Stop Trolling this space Ądmins!

awesome case. that case looks sweet with the helicopter fans
    69 Dude!!!!

4. ssR

ssR Carbon God

LOL dude, just watched the video, another r/c modeling fan :D. figured by your futaba radio. good to see someone with the same interests as mine in the modding ^^

btw which motors did you use? i figured it should be a brushless outrunner maybe... but those motors are not built to run at full RPM for long periods of time, they heat up fairly fast.

BTW, the case looks kickass ;)

5. SlappKnutts

SlappKnutts What's a Dremel?

Wow what can I say....
    First you were friggin' robbed! A damn turtle???? Thats just stupid... I will go out on a limb and say he was providing sexual favors for the judges!
    Second, Nice case! I am really impressed on how well that turned out! I never would have expected a free form mould to turn out that well! Really you must have put alot of hours of sanding to get such a nice finish! Perhaps because there wasn't alot of in between pics some people may think this was easier then it was. Let me just say that this is a very professional job!

6. JAxen

JAxen What's a Dremel?

whoa dude!
    that looks so, extreme air :D

7. mattthegamer463

mattthegamer463 What's a Dremel?

I still think it looks like a jetpack...

Very nice fibreglass work, your a credit to the craft! :thumb:

8. widmod

widmod Minimodder

turns out really great! :clap:
    but why are the cables for the monitor coming out on the backside of the case and not behind the monitor? :naughty:

9. floriske.nl

floriske.nl What's a Dremel?

Although, like you allready said, it still needs some work here and there, the case looks awesome!!

My compliments for your craftsmanship!! :rock:

Imho you have beaten the turtle bigtime but that doesn't help much I guess :duh:

10. Jamie

Jamie ex-Bit-Tech code junkie

Love this mod, top work

11. Arsonic

Arsonic What's a Dremel?

Clarification

Hello there, evil turtle builder here.

To anyone that may have picked up this misunderstanding, there is no theme for the comptition, extreme air is the theme for this mod. The turtle only moves 84 CFM (silently though).

With regard to mine, while there is cellotape holding some of the turtle skin in place, "duct taped turtle" strikes me as unfair. Unfair considering that last year you yourself won the same competition, despite having not painted your case. I too have alot of respect for the amount of work and expertise put into this mod, and can truly sympathise with the agony of having a weeks work to do in 3 days with no coffee, having done it last year aswell and not learned any better.

The competition this year was unsual, being that it differed from previous year's format of locking them away while judging/scrutineering was done. The crowd was given a chance to voice (scream) their opinion, which was quite even between the winners, while there was squids windowed box case, and the ever popular Zephyr with his non-moving car full of laptop parts. After we'd presented our mods, the decision was made then and there on the stage after a little conferring between the judges.

Here are my thoughts on why I think it turned out the way it did, in no particular order:

-My insides were viewable, tidy and bling.
    -A turtle is funny.
    -Your monitor cable.

These don't matter so much to hardcore modder communities, but they do matter to a crowd and competition judges.
    It is my rough theory that in any artistic building competition, the concept sets the maximum score, and the execution determines how close to that you get.

Best of luck next year, I'll see you there and try to defend my title aswell.

12. utopius

utopius artificially unintelligent

am i the only person here who is curious to see this so called "evil turtle" looks like ???? im curious as hell it sould have to be pretty damnnnnn impressive

13. Arsonic

Arsonic What's a Dremel?

It's been linked to on the previous page:
    http://forums.bit-tech.net/showpost.php?p=1511495&postcount=95
    and I was referring to how evil I was for relegating this mod to second. The turtles conscience is clear, and it's only drawn a little blood.
    If I'd found this forum a week earlier I'd probably have thrown in the towel then and there.

14. KaotiK

KaotiK What's a Dremel?

Wow just caught up with this log and what can i say...It looks amazing. Perfect lan PC. :thumb:

15. The_Beast

The_Beast I like wood ಠ_ಠ

Looks great and had a great theme

16. Dean MF

Dean MF PC Freak!

Sorry for the misunderstaning on the extreme air - I honeslty thought it was the theme for the mod competition. Well done to you Arsonic for being the overall winner.

17. Zero_Limits

Zero_Limits Minimodder

Sorry about the very late replys guys. Had some technical difficulties not long after xLAN and took a while to get things sorted. In short, I hate Vista now.

Any way I will try reply to everything I have missed. There are a few to many replies to quote so im just going to put @ Persons name here then (#post number). Hope this works out. Here goes...

@ jegerjon (#62)
    Thanks man, was really nice to see comments like that while I was building, helped keep be going.

@ Dean MF (#63)
    Like above thanks for the comment and I'm glad you like the design!

@ wbdog206 (#64)
    Thanks for the comment on the glass work. Was a bit out of practice when I did it so I was quiet pleased with the results.

@ iwog (#65)
    Thanks man! Glad to see my work has inspired others. I will be sure to check out your mod once you start. I used Rhino 3D for the drawings.

@ greensabbath (#66)
    Thanks for the kind words and the vote. Very nice to see comments and support like that from such a skilled person like yourself.

@ jokkos (#67)
    A very late thanks for the comment.

@ s_q_u_e_e (#68)
    Thanks very much.

@ elbarto241 (#69)
    First, congrats on being post number 69 in my thread lol
    Thanks for the comment, looks like your prayers were answered :p

@ ssR (#70)
    Thanks, as with greensabbith its nice to get comments from people that have done nice work. Very impressed with your mod!

@ 500mph (#71)
    Well I dont know if my fibreglassing could be called amazing but thanks for the comment. That was another one which really helped motovate me to get the case done on time.

@ Dekode (#72)
    Thanks buddy, New Zealand Cheesecake!!!! lol

@ x06jsp (#73)
    Thanks!

@ SlappKnutts (#74)
    What can I say to such kind words?! All I can think of is thankyou very much! Was good to see that comment!

@ Dj Ovin (#75)
    haha, thankyou!

@ sk8ter646 (#76)
    I have to agree, near the end I was thinking to myself and woundering if I could get it done in time, then I held the LCD up roughly where it was going to go and it looked sweet! Gave me a bit of motovation to get it done.

@ GAM (#77)
    Thanks man!

@ Pretenda (#78)
    Thanks for the kind words Bro and also your help and support getting this thing done!

@ dacust (#79)
    Scared me for a second when I just saw the word crap in your post lol thanks very much for the comment though

@ Dean MF (#80)
    Thankyou very much

@ FR34K (#81)
    Glad to see you enjoyed my mod and thanks

@Pretenda (#82)
    Incase you guys are woundering Pretenda really is my brother. Also thanks for keeping everyone up to date when I couldnt get to the computer to post Pretenda.

@Frido (#83)
    Thanks man, yeah I did make it to the lan, even if it was a day or so late.

@ Skulldragger (#84)
    Haha, well I do hope that my mod may inspire a few to try something. Yeah I will admit that its not as easy as it looks but I will also admit that the first things I started building a couple of years ago (Was actually model boats) Looked like pure crap and I would actually be a bit shamed to say they were mine these days, but I learnt alot and kept at it. The old saying of practice makes perfect is very true, and I still have alot of practice to go!

@ Pretenda (#85)
    Thanks again bro

@ Dean MF (#87)
    Thanks

@ greensabbath (#88)
    Yep it was freeking loud, the vid actually made it seem quiet compared to what it actually was lol. Thanks for the comment.

@ Dean MF (#89)
    Haha yea it did sound a bit like that, a few people made comments like that, aswell as a few other things.

@ MoRBiD (#92)
    Thanks man. Was worth a try thats for sure. Not sure I will bother with a case for next years competition though. Then again thats what I said last year about this year :p

@ Dj Ovin (#96)
    Below the screen? I think you mean the DVD Drive cover? Yea it was attached to the front of the drive so there was very little gap but it broke off in the car on the way to the LAN so was held on there with clear tape. Thanks for the comment

@ derbaum (#97)
    Uhhhhh I hate to think, Probably 60-80 hours or so in about 1 month.

@ Computerking (#98)
    LOL thanks!

@ sk8ter646 (#99)
    Thanks for the support. I will be finishing this off one day, hopefully soon when I have more time.

@ Dean MF (#100)
    As mentioned in a future post. Extreme Air was just my chosed theme for my case. There wasnt actually a theme for the competition, although it is normally different and creative ideas that win the competition.

@ Mankz. (#101)
    Thanks

@ wbdog206 (#102)
    Thanks. Yea it is pretty loud in the video, as I mentioned before though its actually alot louder in person!

@ C-Sniper (#103)
    Thanks man, yeah the fans are sweet. Loud! but sweet.

@ ssR (#104)
    Yea, I actually used to race Model boats, both gas and electric powered. Up till a few months ago I actually worked in a model shop aswel, was a pretty cool job. Can't beat the Futaba radios! Shame that I got the one I did though, the next model that came out just after I got mine was a heap easier to pragram.

Correct I did use a Brushless outrunner. The full RPM for long periods didnt really worry me as I knew it would be way to loud at full RPM anyway. My main worry was the ESC at low RPM.

I used a couple of Waypoint 15a ESC's along with 2 Waypoint E22088-34 Motors.
    Info on the motors can be found on this site.

http://media.rcbandit.co.nz/instructions/waypointmotor.pdf

@ SlappKnutts (#105)
    LOL that made me laugh. Thanks for the comment man. I guess the Judges just had different ideas. All good though.

@ JAxen (#106)
    Haha, thanks man

@ mattthegamer463 (#107)
    The Jetpack comment was one I heard alot at the LAN. Thanks for the kind words.

@ widmod (#108)
    Thanks!

Was the only place I could think of. I couldnt have them coming out just under the screen because I needed a big opening cut to get the plugs through. I was going to put some hard wire or something with them and sleeve them so they would both sort of follow the lines of the screen mounts and look a bit more finished but I ran out of time.

@ floriske.nl (#109)
    Mmm, there were alot of comments at the LAN that my case should have beaten the turtle, at the same time though there was alot of support for the turtle. Thanks for the comment and kind words.

@ Jamie (#110)
    Thanks very much Jamie, I felt very honoured to see a comment on here from one of the bit-tech staff!

@ Arsonic (#111)
    Congrats on the win.

I am sorry if it seemed like I was having a go at you or your mod. It was not my intention to do this. I was just a little dissapointed at the results after the number of hours of hard work and the amount of money I had invested in my case.

May not enter the competition next year, not sure at the moment.

Again Congrats on the win, hope you enjoy the sweet prizes... and get a good price when you sell the Mircosoft Flight Simulatior X lol, still haven't quiet figured out why that was one of the prizes.

@ utopius (#112)
    There is a link there to Arsonic's work log. Thanks for the comment.

@ Arsonic (#113)
    Don't quiet get the second part of your comment, but directing utopius to your case.

@ KaotiK (#114)
    Thanks for the comment!

@ The_Beast (#115)
    Thankyou very much!

@ Dean MF (#116)
    All good, we all make little mistakes, Thanks for all your comments throughout my worklog.

Woah, didnt realise there were so many comments to reply to! Thanks to all who commented and for everyones support. It helped me alot along the way. Hopefully I got to reply to most peoples comments, to those I missed out I am very sorry.

This thread is not dead yet, Its just going to have a bit of a rest while I get some things sorted out as I have a busy month or two or three coming up. As soon as I get time to finish off the case and get it so I am happy with it I will be straight back on here posting my progress of the re-build.

18. Dean MF

Dean MF PC Freak!

Thanks for replying to every one of my comments Zero Limits! I really appreciate it. And yes, I totally love the design of the case! I would love to see the step-by-step log of the case! 5 Stars!! :clap: :clap: :clap:

19. Arsonic

Arsonic What's a Dremel?

Well it would be good to see you there again, you've certainly dominated for as long as it's been running, beaten only by the charismatic daleks and animals. Just don't go changing your mind a month beforehand, we're getting too old for that!
    If it's any reassurance, I intend on housing my next mod in the lovely TJ09, now that my thirst for first has been quenched. How's your TJ07 mod going?

I think flight sim was a token of microsofts, well, want for our affection.

and hooray for the taped drive cover, it saves many in a tight situation eh.

Last edited: 24 Jul 2007
  20. cyberspyder

cyberspyder Canuck

Drive a GTR?