1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Looking to buy my first Dremel, need help.

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Drachnem, 14 Jul 2007.

1. Jedda

Jedda What's a Dremel?

Hmm, yes it is frustrating that only the cardboard inserts in the individual bit sale packets list each bit's recommended speed.
    What they're each used to do is readily available in Dremel literature but not their speeds. Kind of crazy for a multi-speed device, no?
    To really add insult to injury is that the speed info is printed inside the cardboard fold-over. So it can't be read without buying and opening each individual packet!!!
    It's not possible simply look at each packet and note the speed for the bits you got with your Dremel.

I've often thought about opening a thread for users to post the speed info. Each who buys a bit separately packed posts the bit number and speed until we get them all.

2. dacust

dacust What's a Dremel?

There is one member with a sig that berates Dremels. One comment they make is that it always burns wood no matter what. If you pick the right bits (like you see in Dean MF's link) and use the right RPM, that won't happen. IMO a variable RPM dremel is 10 times more useful than a single speed one.

In defense of what they say, however, even though the dremel is somewhat of a do anything tool, very often there is another tool that will do it better.

A dremel is a must to have around, but it's a mistake to get in the habit of using it for everything it can possibly do.

3. cogitoergosum

cogitoergosum What's a Dremel?

I lust after the new 400 Series Dremel XPR...but my 300 Series Variable Speed has been a true and faithful friend.

On the cordless/corded debate, pass on the cordless. As has been mentioned, they are underpowered and tend to die and inopportune times.

Look at walmart for a "dremel accessory kit". Comes with 150ish bits and pieces and some extra disks.

If you can afford it, buy a flex shaft. I never have and constantly run into times when I wish I had one.

Just my $0.02

4. dacust

dacust What's a Dremel?

We'll make it $0.04. I agree with all you said. Cord, definitely. The accessory kits (wherever you get 'em) are a great deal. I finally got a flex shaft and use it almost constantly. Never really anytime that it's a drawback, and times it's almost a must. I feel like my hand doesn't get as tired using it with the shaft.

5. tech3312

tech3312 Where's my dremel o.0

I got the single speed multi pro it's ok but i have a question for people who have the corded dremel *the nice ones* how do u deal with the heat the motor produce? i'm trying to aviod the heat but i have to let it cool off in order for me to be able to do my engraving and i don;t have any money for the flex shaft

6. Jedda

Jedda What's a Dremel?

The 400 doesn't get hot.
    I've just cut around 2 feet of lines in a Lian-Li mobo backing plate in a series of cuts.
    Broke one disc by going too deep and using it like a saw but no over-heating at the recommended 35000 revs.
    Using the correct speed really helps.

7. Dean MF

Dean MF PC Freak!

But how do we know which speed is supposedly the correct speed?

8. Jedda

Jedda What's a Dremel?

yeah well, like I posted up the page, the only place Dremel define their speeds is inside the cardboard fold-over in the single bit packets they sell.
    Not on their site.
    Not in their docs
    Not in bulk packs or kits.
    Only in the single packs. It's very dumb. You can't even read them in the shop, 'cause you have to open them to see inside the fold-over.
    Heaps of folk never even look in the middle. Just open itand grab their new bit.
    I think we need a thread to all post the ones we find out, until we have the lot.

9. MiT

MiT Don't feed me after midnight!! nom

Have read here for more info:
    http://www.dremel.com/dremelmessageboard/

I bought a dremel 300 the other day, and also bought the 175 piece set. This was my first dremel.

I think start of with the 300 series, but soome bits, and give it ago. If you any other bit, read the net, and see if they will help.

There is also another good web site i found, but the book mark is at home, will post it later when am at home.

10. capnPedro

capnPedro Hacker. Maker. Engineer.

Don;t forget that speed is also dependent on the material you're working with.

11. tech3312

tech3312 Where's my dremel o.0

yea but i onl have a single spped :D

12. MiT

MiT Don't feed me after midnight!! nom

13. Jedda

Jedda What's a Dremel?

Of course. That's down to you and me being very different, in different places, at different ages.
    You buy $1 multi-meters and battle through. You get great satisfaction when you win.
    I've built up my tools over time and have the luxury of the right tool for every job.
    It's just different ways of modding.
    you'll just take longer, as you need to take breaks in cutting to let it cool down. You could make up a rheostat to control your speed.
    A few dollars worth of bits would do it, if you can get the use of a soldering iron.

Some Dremel links -
    http://www.smallstuff-digest.com/tips.htm
    http://jmbh.org/DremelTute.html
    Contact Dremel & request their booklet “Tools for the Imagination”
    http://www.rd.com/images/pdf/dremel/Dremel_eMag.pdf
    http://www.dremel.com/HTML/owners_club/index_fr.html

Last edited: 24 Jul 2007
  14. Dean MF

Dean MF PC Freak!

Thanx for the links MIT! Will check them out tonight!

15. Drachnem

Drachnem Minimodder

ZOMG I got one!

I now feel like I can belong to this site lol!

LOOK! Dremel 400 XPR Deluxe

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

16. DSquareD

DSquareD What's a Dremel?

thanx man...does anyone know of any where that i can get a guide specifically for the fragram model?

17. DSquareD

oh oh oh question!
    how safe is it to buy a dremel from eBay? coz i have seen alot of them there that are really alot cheaper for me and some of them are brand new never opened u knw...the whole shebang and i want one now!!! only problem is i dont think eBay will ship 2 south africa...

18. Dean MF

Dean MF PC Freak!

I have the Fragram one too. It seems okay so far, havent had any problems with it yet. Nice ans fast for cutting that aluminium!

19. Dean MF

Dean MF PC Freak!

20. DSquareD

do u know if there is a flexi shaft for it? or can u just buy any flexi shaft and attach it?