1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cooling I'd like some comments on my waterblock design.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by inzane86, 28 Jul 2007.

1. inzane86

inzane86 engineer with an axe

I'v set my goals on making a watercooling system for my pc and the first step is making a CPU waterblock for my AMD Athlon64 x2 5200+.
    So after some trial and error i came up with a design.

The Drawings(Adobe PDF format):
    The waterblock itself.
    The plexi lid.
    And the assembly assembly.

For mounting and securing the plexi lid I'l use Thermaltake Big Typ 120 mounting bracket for AM2, the waterblock design is based on the bracket.
    I'm not too shure about the thickness of the block the maximum thickness of the copper i could make 17mm(16mm on the drawings), but maybe I should make it thinner.
    For the hoses I'l use 3/8-16 barbs threaded and glued into the plexi lid.

So what do you guys and gals think?

P.S. I'm a newbie at Watercooling and this is basicly my first try :)

2. Colonel Sanders

Colonel Sanders Minimodder

Em, it looks like the design will spread most of the water to areas of the block not above the actual CPU core. Also, I think you should try to get more surface area - like several small rods instead of the bars you've got in your design.

3. SPQQKY

SPQQKY Evil Modder

Yeah, it doesn't look like you would get enough flow around the block, just straight from the intake to the output lines. I would rather see more of a snake pattern to force the water across the whole block.

4. Max Spain

Max Spain What's a Dremel?

It seems to me that that block design is a few evolutionary steps behind Danger Den's Maze series of blocks. I do know of a certain forum with a certain stickied thread that could be of some use to you ;)

5. inzane86

Thx for the feedback.
    I did this design as simple as possible so i could mill it on a simple milling machine.
    And now it's back to the drawing board for me... I'l do a more complex design this time since I have the possibility to use a CNC milling center in the near future.

6. Spacecowboy92

Spacecowboy92 Gettin' Lazy

You could block off oposite sides of the bars you have. If you get what I mean you will get more of a snaking patern like SPQQKY said. More surface area = beter performance. And of course it has to look nice :thumb:

7. inzane86

I get what you mean. I's a nice idea I hadn't thought of. But I'm thinking of putting the intake and output in the corners and then making a finer snake pattern between them. This will work in case i find a fine enough cutter.

8. GuitarBizarre

GuitarBizarre <b>banned</b>

You really need to put something in the middle area to increase the surface area AND create turbulent flow. The design you have there looks like its just gonna be water flowing smoothly over copper in the center. Create some kind of turbulence and surface area in the middle and you'll have a much better block. if nothing else you could just take a dremel wheel, make parallel cuts in the center going one way (Think really thin train tracks, close together), then do the same thing at 90 degrees to that. That'd give you a really good turbulent flow over the die, as well as increased surface area (Way more than a simple maze design would give, because you'd be able to make those cuts much closer together.

On top of that, it'd make the base plate slightly thinner from the inside, which is great, because thick plates store heat, and thin ones help in moving it. I'd say a 5/7mm base thickness is around sufficient for not exploding, but not storing heat.

Last edited: 29 Jul 2007
Tags: