1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New System Build

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by M1CUZ, 30 Jul 2007.

1. M1CUZ

M1CUZ What's a Dremel?

My old system is getting a bit long in the tooth now (Barton 3000+, 1Gb ram, Radeon 9800 Pro) so looking for a complete rebuild from the ground up. Looking to build something along the lines of the spec below:

Lian-Li V-1000B
    Core 2 Quad 6600 or Core 2 Duo 6850
    Asus Striker Extreme
    2Gb Corsair Dominator 8500
    XFX 8800GTX 768Mb XT or XXX edition
    Creative X-Fi Elite Pro
    Corsair HX620 PSU
    4x Seagate 7200.10 500Gb (Raid 5)
    1x Raptor 150Gb Boot/System
    Adaptec 3805 raid card
    PX-810SA
    Thermalright U-120 Extreme
    NoiseBlocker SX2Pro UltraSilent 120mm

System will mostly be used for gaming along with an amount of video/audio capture and encoding.

So... I guess the real questions are, which CPU should I get? (Im leaning towards the Quad 6600 I think). Also is there any more suitable motherboard alternatives around these days, the striker has been out for a good while, but has it really been surpassed by anything decent? (Preferably SLI capable incase I ever need it)

Also hoping to pair this lot up with a Dell 2407WFP as soon as the funds are available (Using a not too shabby Viewsonic VP912s at the moment).

Any comments/suggestions about the above welcomed :)

2. chrisb2e9

chrisb2e9 Dont do that...

I dont see a problem with any of that. the psu should be enough but it might be worth it to go up just a little. maybe 700 or 750. you may end up adding to it later on.

for your cpu go for the quad, and instead of that heatsink and fan combo why not a thermalelectric?
    http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=2353734&CatId=99

try not to watch the video review on that page, the way the guy talks makes me want to pull my hair out. (and I dont have much left)

i'm sure that the cooler and fan you picked will work but for the money you are throwing down on this system might as well go all the way.

Also I didn't see it on there but maybe you should get a dvd with lightscribe? just a personal prefrence with that one.

3. Da_Rude_Baboon

Da_Rude_Baboon What the?

The PSU you have selected will handle that setup no problem. It will be a very nice computer when its all put together.

4. GazzaD

GazzaD What's a Dremel?

Hi,

just out of curiosity, did you consider using 2 drives in an array to boot from?

5. lamboman

lamboman What's a Dremel?

Everything looks good, but I would upgrade the PSU to something like a Silencer, for future upgrades. Ditch the Asus Striker for the EVGA T1 or A1 680i boards, the Asus is stupid pricey. The memory could go down to some big name brand PC6400, it is not really needed on air cooling, because the overclocks will never reach that high on such a system. Finally, get the EVGA version of the card, because they will give you a free upgrade to the next model up, for free (step-up).

DON'T go for the TEC coolers, they aren't actually very good ith such processors, and their cooling performance will be worse than the Ultra 120. Plus they are way too expensive. If you wanted extreme cooling, just go for a mid- high end water cooling setup, that is where your V1000 will PWN!

6. dimebar

dimebar What's a Dremel?

looks good,

get a 0 stepping q6600, it ill overclock to 6850, or nearabouts if your a poor overclocker.

rest of spec loooks good., appart from motherboard

do you need all the features of the striker, cos its not a good overclocker of quad cores, if u need to overclock, get the evga 680i, or if you do not need all the features get a 680lt set such as the dfi.

although the corsair 620 is a solid psu, if you intend to pair up the 8800 later, with all that rig at full bore, you may want to have a slighlty bigger psu, so as not to be running it at high loading, perhaps a 700w to 850w but absolutly no more.

7. lamboman

lamboman What's a Dremel?

dime, it will overclock WAY past that. 3.4ghz I'd say.

8. M1CUZ

M1CUZ What's a Dremel?

Deffo hoping to get a G0 stepping if i go the quad core route, only problem I have with going for a 750 PC Power & Cooling PSU or similar is finding something that will physically fit in the PSU bay of the V1000 (limited to about 165mm), hence the corsair choice. Totally open to suggestions if someone knows a good higher rated model that will fit the space.

Things I am looking for from the Mobo I choose (other than the normal good layout, reliable etc etc).

2x 16 lane PCIe (For possible future SLI, though would consider dropping this)
    1x 4 lane PCIe (For raid card)
    1x PCI (X-FI Sound Card)
    Other expansion slots nice for future, but not needed
    Passive chipset cooling
    Preferably a decent overclocker

Think that about covers it, already considering droping the soundcard to an X-Fi Platinum fatal1ty series and the mobo to a ASUS P5N32-E SLI plus

Last edited: 31 Jul 2007
  9. Da_Rude_Baboon

Da_Rude_Baboon What the?

I will repeat myself again. The Corsair is more than enough for your suggested system, even if you went 8800GTX SLI, it would still be enough. If you don't agree i suggest your read some of Bindi's PSU reviews.

10. Bbq.of.DooM

Bbq.of.DooM Custom User Title

The corsair is more than enough. If it's not, then that would be a first for me.

11. chrisb2e9

chrisb2e9 Dont do that...

even if the corsair is enough fo right now, what about down the road if he decides to upgrade? I dont like that I had to upgrade my PSU for my new computer but the old 400w (which was good enough back then) would not cut it now. he can get a better one now and not have to later on. his choice.

12. Da_Rude_Baboon

Da_Rude_Baboon What the?

The Corsair 620w is actually a 700w or 750w (i cant remember exactly which) but Corsair rate it at 620w so it runs silently.

Even so he still has plenty of headroom.

13. Bbq.of.DooM

Bbq.of.DooM Custom User Title

The Corsair will be enough for even SLI 8800GTX. I would think with a single 8800gtx, it's more than enough.

The Corsair is a 620w psu. It's highly efficient, so the fan doesn't need to spin so fast. Any more than 620w you get is a bonus.