1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress Project Black Rain: RIP 2008

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by modsquad, 14 Sep 2006.

?

What to do...

Poll closed 30 Jun 2007.
  1. Finish the machine entirely:

87 vote(s)
    91.6%
  2. Finish the case mods only:

3 vote(s)
    3.2%
  3. Just go away:

5 vote(s)
    5.3%
  1. kimandsally

kimandsally What's a Dremel?

Started reading this log 3 days ago and just got here, real pleased the vote went the way I would have voted, I have had 3 days of my leisure time reading and very much enjoying this PL, I'm VERY grateful to MS for sharing it with us there is nowhere on the planet that I could see what you have done here the only downside is you saying it will be your last PL, if I could sway you I'm sure 99.999999999% of people on here would love to see you do more, for people like me with no hope of doing what you have it's an inspiration to do something that's within my capabilities.

I post very little and read a lot and I've only posted on 3 PL's AluMax, Orange Monster and your's and in my opinion they're probably all in the the top 10 in the world, I can't comment further as these are the top 3 I've ever seen, it would be incredible to see these machines in the flesh.

Please keep at it and I hope you enjoy doing it as much as I have reading and looking at your pictures, THANK YOU for that. :rock:

2. The X

The X What's a Dremel?

Good good WORKS !!! I like very much yours cuts....with yours c-strip you get me a great idea for my next Mods !

3. kimandsally

kimandsally What's a Dremel?

I have to add a little more as it's been playing on my mind all day, 5 people have probably spoiled the enjoyment of many thousands of people I notice this has 220,000 hits, I have asked my wife to look at the PL and even though it's not her thing she agree's it's outstanding and another vote to ask if you'll continue in the future.

I have no idea why the super 5 think they're so special, if they're not liking don't look simple, but don't spoil it for thousands of others who genuinely get pleasure from reading about this super talented modder.

4. modsquad

modsquad Grease Monkey Undergraduate..

People are entitled to there opinion k&s, that is a fact. The reason for the poll was simple, I did not want to waste my time shooting pictures and updating a PL that had no interest to the bit-tech forum users. The poll results say the vast majority does enjoy reading my "ramblings"..As for more projects after this one, that is another story. It's a matter of time and money. Building machines like this require a good-deal of both, and there in lies the problem..
    @Koradhil, alpha_prime and jokkos. I appreciate your feedback BUT, I am a huge fan of c-strip. IMHO, it gives a cut-edge a finished look.
    @Dira sorry, and I agree. The pictures are a bit dark. It's hard getting those shots. BUT, once painted it will be brighter. That I promise!
    @jegerjon The H20 loop is far from finished. What your looking at is only the bottom-end. I think (perhaps) it's the Eheim 1046's in there (chrome plated) Aqua-Computer FMJ's that have caught your eye:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    IMHO, the Indian Larry rings work-wonders hiding the compression fittings.
    Speaking of IL- pictured is the new "grease monkey" statue outside the shop:
    [​IMG]
    scary-cool..:thumb:
    I have to work this weekend, so the next update is about a week away..
    MS

5. jokkos

jokkos too busy to mod *sigh*

no worries man, if you like the C-strip then keep it. :thumb:

6. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

I have to say I really love how those rings look on the fittings! But then again, I too would have gone for a 1-piece cover (maybe with added c-strip :p).

7. hydro_electric_655

hydro_electric_655 Dremelly Dude

Hey MS, great work as usual. This has certainly turned in to a full blown biker case.

8. SPQQKY

SPQQKY Evil Modder

I can assure you that a PL such as this will grab attention. Whether it is to everyones tastes is irrelevant. Some may find it brilliant (such as myself), others may not like it at all.
    It is just like any art form. You could ask the average person if they've ever heard of Monet and most would say yes. Ask them if they've heard of Caravaggio and they probably wouldn't have a clue. For my taste, Caravaggio was a much more brilliant painter. His attention to detail and the way he juxtaposed his images was incredible.
    As I see it, some builds are like Monets here (this isn't an attempt at flattery-quite possibly the exact opposite), loaded with flash, bright colors and oddities to grab attention. And this isn't to say they are not good or the builder is not talented, again it's a matter of taste. Black Rain to me is a Caravaggio and from me that is the highest compliment I could give. If you feel good about it, that is all that matters. Keep up the fantastic work, I always look forward to your updates.

9. alpha_prime

alpha_prime What's a Dremel?

I agree, it works wonders for most of your parts, although i think it's to 'big' for these pieces. Could you make some close-up pictures of these parts, so i can have a closer look please?

Anyway, i like the pumps, but i like the reservoirs and the tubing layout even more. I see you're watercooling a number of components. Are you going to connect the 'extra' watercool blocks (like ramchips, northbridge, etc.) to the gpu or cpu loop or are you going to cool them seperatly?

10. headala

headala What's a Dremel?

Hey, grease monkey, how about an update? :D

11. modsquad

I managed some work and there will be an update late Sunday..
    @ alpha_prime: at this point in time, I can only say one loop for the CPU and one loop for the GPU. After that, we will try to split up the remaining gear to be H20 cooled between the two..

12. Boxcarhobo

Boxcarhobo What's a Dremel?

are all of your mods like 200 pages long for modding time worth of 1 week?

13. SPQQKY

SPQQKY Evil Modder

[​IMG]

14. headala

headala What's a Dremel?

Dude, that is hilarious.

MS, can't wait for the update!

15. Fozzy

Fozzy What's a Dremel?

The answer is yes but if you picked up a dremel you would know that there is a lot more to this than what we see.

1) Planning - Planing takes almost twice as long as execution. But in this case I think planning is replaced with countless hours of sifting through bike parts to find the perfect match.
    2) Preparation - Prep time also takes a lot longer than execution. The more prep you do the less you have to fix and the better chance you have at succeeding.
    3) Jobs - I'm not sure what MS does for a living but if you read through the posts you'll see that he has a very busy life outside of modding. Take that into consideration.
    4) Pictures and PL - This is probably what MS is most famous for. For every picture you see there are probably at least 100 more that you don't. Photography is one of MS other hobbies (I believe) and from the quality of his pictures you can see that he is pretty damn good at it. Not to mention that he details EVERYTHING which leads to my next point.
    5) Responses - His actual posts can probably be grouped into about two pages because of the massive response he gets from the message board. His details make everyone else here think about what they can do with their own mods. Yes sometimes it can seem a little silly to take a picture of a grommet but that single picture might be what it takes to inspire someone to start modding. Start with a grommet and end up with a window.

So what I have to say to you Boxcarhobo is this. Mod something. Attempt to make a project log that people enjoy reading. Try making your case both original and beautiful. Spend the extra effort in posting only pictures that are pleasing to the eye. Then adjust those pictures in Photoshop. Resize the pictures. Get all the right tools for the job. Research what you will need to get the perfect effect. Explain to 20 people why you put L.E.D.s where you did and then when you have done all of that you will have the answer to your question.

16. IanJackson

IanJackson Photographer & Modder

still loving it!!!!!!!

17. modsquad

MW2

Thank you Fozzy. You truly understand because you have built custom machines yourself. It (sometimes) takes longer to come up with an idea that to execute it. Then (sometimes) the idea hits you like a bolt of lightning. IMHO, a project log should not only show what you did but how you did it. Lastly, (I have said this before) this is a hobby and a hobby should be fun! If I here to work on the project 40 hours a week and have to meet deadlines it would become a job (aka work).
    OK, on to the update. About 6-7 hours work (play)..
    When we left off work last session it was the side bay-area cover
    [​IMG]
    This update is an extension of that. I am happy with the overall look of the cover-plate, but the side-mount dual 120mm radiator needs to draw air through that cover. It first I thought about two 120mm holes, but wanted something more interesting to look at than that.
    [​IMG]
    just a basic pattern, following the lines of the panel.
    [​IMG]
    I used my power shears
    [​IMG]
    and a metal cutting Dremel head (then a set of files).
    [​IMG]
    to fill the hole, we will use two types of AC RYAN mesh
    [​IMG]
    this is the stuff I have been using from the start of the project
    [​IMG]
    this is a new product from AC RYAN.
    [​IMG]
    this stuff should allow a good air intake..
    some c-strip to finish off the side cover
    [​IMG]
    that is pretty-close to the finished look, although it needs mounting bolts for the mesh
    [​IMG]
    I don't have time to finish this today. So, lets work on the "shark-fin"
    [​IMG]
    smaller, EZer part than the side cover. But, same basic idea.
    [​IMG]
    c-strip and three holes for M4 mounting bolts at the corners.
    [​IMG]
    more cutting and drilling (only using the small-hole mesh for this part)..
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    the mesh will allow a view of the rear mount reservoirs. last picture
    [​IMG]
    that's it for this session.
    Have a great week!

18. Koradhil

Koradhil What's a Dremel?

With the mesh added, the rubber strip doesn't look so awkward anymore, I think it looks very good :)

19. HeXeN

HeXeN Straight from Hell

Hey .. this first time i see rubber strip that fits to mod. I hate acrilic windows with those rubber strips but with this mesh it looks nice. I could say even Very Nice. I'm a great fan of custom choppers and cases this one will be really kickin'.
    I want More updates !! hihiihih (don't take it serious i really know what deadlines are and what is real luck of free time for hobby :/)

20. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

Tags: