1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New CPU = New issue :(

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by csplayer089, 2 Aug 2007.

1. csplayer089

csplayer089 What's a Dremel?

This time the issue is very odd. This morning, I installed a new AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+ EE (65w). My motherboard is an MSI K9N Platinum, socket AM2. MY PSU is an Antec TruePower 430-watt. I have the latest BIOS for the mobo as well, and I know it supports the CPU (or else it wouldnt POST).

Anyhow, after re-building everything I turned on my PC and it was fine; I left it on for a little while. Eventually I went on to play some Day of Defeat. While playing the game, I noticed that my mic was not working very well; so I went into Realtek's sound settings, etc and made some changes (in the Volume Control as well). After I did that, I attempted to play DoD again, but this time the computer COMPLETELY turned off. It just turned off. The CPU is not overheating; According to CoreTemp, one core is at about ~30C during gaming, the other at about ~37-38C. I was like, uh ok what is going on. So I turned the PC back on; It POST'd and all seemed well.

Until windows loaded. Upon getting to the desktop, Windows promptly froze. I couldnt move my mouse, etc. I am stumped as to why my system would do this. I am currently running Memtest86+ just to make sure it isnt my RAM that screwed up, since it is a relatively new set (but on the day that I got it, I ran like 3 loops of memtest and it was fine; 0 errors).

Any ideas?

EDIT: After rebooted again, windows loaded fine. I loaded up DoD again and it turned off again after about 15-20 mins of gameplay. I have double checked all BIOS settings, especially RAM settings (timings, voltage, etc) and they are ALL correct. Also, I am running a 32M test of SuperPi as we speak (second test, actually) just to make sure im ok. After that I may run 3DMark06, etc. :wallbash:

2. Golygus

Golygus Minimodder

3. csplayer089

ok i just might do that. so what are you saying might be the issue here? :wallbash:

4. Golygus

Golygus Minimodder

Random hangs etc are normally cpu, memory , mainboard or power relater.

you've cleared the ram, i'm just trying to check the cpu. this will test on both cores :)

5. csplayer089

well, i just ran 5 hours of two instances of prime 95 (different tests for each core btw aka torture tests) and zero errors reported...

6. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

Have you checked drivers for your chipset, graphics card and anything else? These aren't covered by Windows update. Also check your graphics card temp

7. Golygus

Golygus Minimodder

just checking you used the program in the link i sent, not prime 95 or stress prime 2004 - orthos is a modified stress prime for dual core testing, and has 2 logs - one for each core.

if it did come up clean, then the problem lies else where.

If you have a multimeter, check the resistance of the chassis to the earth on a plug socket while the machine is on.

check for updated chipset / graphics / audio etc drivers.

8. csplayer089

this never crossed my mind before (unfortunatley) but i have read horror stories of MSI's K9N platinum/SLI series of mobos having overheating chipsets. If you read reviews of the motherboard online, there are a TON of complaints about the northbridge overheating. This may be my issue.

Yes, I will check for updated drivers, etc. Also as another note: I have no way of knowing how hot my northbridge is getting since it must not have a thermal sensor or something; I get no readings in SpeedFan and many other programs.

graphics card is cooled by a zalman VF900; idle: 40c load: 52c

9. csplayer089

AHAH!! read these reviews, found on newegg.com

" This board has known design problem. Capacity C565 needs to be replaced with a 220pf cap. Problem manifests as abrupt power down while burning CDs or using the network connections. MSI has acknowledged this. I RMA-ed my board to them. They returned with a note "there were no problems found with your board." I called them explained the problem again. They sent me a replacement board. Same serial number range, capacitor unchanged."

" Since I received it, the computer would power down randomly. I would have to let the PSU discharge for a while to get it back up and running again. Did not ever get better, had to deal with it through a LAN party. Very ticked. RMA'ed the board to MSI, we'll see how it is when it gets back."

"DO NOT BUY MSI BOARDS MSI has a horrible return policy, I bought this board and the orginal revision had a problem with the capacitor among other problems with the 570 chipset. I returned the board to newegg and they replaced it, but the new board had the same issue, it restarts every 4 hours or so."

"WOW, that's HOT! Everything was looking really good until I started doing some real work. I started burning some CDs, and the computer turned off. Happened a few more times, so I opened up the case. Felt around to see if there were any loose connections or hot spots. CPU was nice and cool. GPU was nice and cool. Power supply was nice and cool. Chipset heatsink burnt my finger. No wonder it wants to turn off..."

Tags: