1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Naughty words.. dun DUN DUUUUUUN!

Discussion in 'General' started by will., 4 Aug 2007.

1. Brooxy

Brooxy Loser of the Game

Billy Connelly = Legend

So is this going to turn into "The vent your anger and slightly naughty vocabulary thread"?

2. Khensu

Khensu likes to touch your special places

Because everyone shits, but not everyone f-cks. Unslutty minors, priests, ugly women, lots of geeks, ugly guys, asexuals, etcetera. Using f-ck a lot would imply that everyone f-cks, and this may offend some of the not-getting-laid minority groups. And you wouldn't want to offend a minority group, do you, you racist swine?!

:p

3. ReFredzRate

ReFredzRate Relix Headshot!!

Why did you remove the racial ones, but leave the religiously offending words in it? You're still kind of discriminating, and if not that, you are offending.

4. will.

will. A motorbike of jealousy!

It's only my opinion, but the religious ones seem to have lost pretty much all meaning. People say them without even thinking. The same with all swears really, but with "oh my god" most people don't even consider them as swear words. However I do realise that religious people do find them offensive, but like I said, in my opinion its just not the same as actually calling someone a spastic or paki. So they stayed. This is also about censoring on the forums and which would you find more offensive. People occasionally saying "oh my god" or for the word god to be censored into ***. That would just be political correctness gone insane.

I've just remembered a south park episode that's quite topical...

I hope not. So far I don't think its been that.

5. Lorquis

Lorquis lorquisSpamCount++;

Actually I think you'll find the word ****, is not at all a word, but an acronym F.U.C.K used to indicate a brothel. The letters in the word mean Fornication Under Consent of the King.

So if the "F word" is so nawty why is brothel not too?

And from my memory paki is technically not a swear or an insult either (although people have a nasty tendency to use it in a derogatory fashion usually white lower class morons to whom we bestow the title chav) The word paki in it's own language means "Pure" as in Pakistan meaning "Land of the pure".

There you go!

6. will.

Yea, a lot of our so called curse or swear words are actually only perceived as bad by our modern culture. If enough people wanted it, you could within a few years probably make any word in the English language a curse word. Lets start a movement! I vote cheesecake!

7. Lorquis

Lorquis lorquisSpamCount++;

Nah there's a far worse swear word than any of the others I can think of...

Windows.

8. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

Actually the F word was first used as a law after the plague and Great Fire of London because the population had plummeted massively

9. knuck

knuck Hate your face

I believe this is only a legend

10. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Nice post, and well composed. I particularly like the YouTube video. :D I agree with your argument, although I must add the caveat that it smacks dangerously of mature, rational thinking, and we all know that the members who use the most offensive language tend to be the uncool immature irrational numpties (who generally don't last long here...). But that is no reason to accomodate to the lowest denominator and become a nanny-state forum. I always feel that a swear word used judiciously and in the right context can be verbal art. Beyond that, it's action begets consequence, and he whose tongue takes words in vein risks being smote by our righteous anger.

11. will.

That sounds almost biblical :p

12. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

Sounds Pulp Fiction :D

13. ch424

ch424 Design Warrior

I think people every right to (and should) complain when the poster is swearing simply because they can't express themselves any other way. I can't cite any articles, but I've heard from quite a few sources that we judge peoples' intelligence by how well they articulate themselves. Encouraging people to express themselves without swearing is therefore so much better than letting people swear to the point that it's just irritating. (Politics and the English Language kinda makes the language/intelligence point, but without any science/real evidence. Also, the way people are so quick to patronise the deaf and people who don't speak the same language as them kinda backs this up too.)

Also, saying swearing's ok because the original roots of a word weren't rude is just silly. As already said above, it's the current meaning that matters. I personally find it incredibly offensive when people say "paki" in a derogatory way - they don't know it means 'pure', and if they do, they certainly don't mean to imply that when they say it.

14. WireFrame

WireFrame <b>PermaBanned</b>

I know exactly why you started this thread. You have no mastery of the English language. Thats why most people swear. This is a family forum. If you can't temper your responses, you clearly need someone or something to do it for you (swearfilter)
    Read this, and you'll see my point:
    http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?p=1528979#post1528979

15. ch424

ch424 Design Warrior

BAM! WireFrame hits the nail on the head... (edit: in the post he links to, I'm not sure I agree on that being the reason for starting this thread).

16. WireFrame

Thats a misconception, its not true. The word is spawned from an old Germanic word, I think.
    Not sure how that provs it, but at least I'm not the only one to think it....

No. Just like "Brit" is short for a Briton (person from Britain), so Paki is short for someone from Pakistan.

EDIT: Thankyou CH424.

17. Ramble

Ramble Ginger Nut

Preists?
    I think you're getting a bit confused here. :p

18. WireFrame

Surely you're the racist one here, assuming all minority groups are such simply because of race?

19. will.

OK, I admit, that post I made in the other thread was a bit OTT, and yes, I was being a bit immature doing the whole, "but it actually means something quite normal" thing, but I've just seen so many comments exactly like yours and it was starting to annoy me and I was frustrated. It was not the sole reason I made this thread.

Last edited: 4 Aug 2007
  20. will.

Nobody is saying that in any seriousness. It was just a bit of messing around and I don't think anyone who's posted here is that pedantic or immature to use that as a genuine reason for using these words.

Its exactly the same as calling someone gay. If they aren't gay it's an insult. If they are gay it shouldn't be an insult, but it is. The worst thing is when someone takes insult on behalf of someone else who is quite capable of making up their own mind on the matter.