1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cooling Do you smoke around your computer? Take a look here!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Drachnem, 2 Aug 2007.

1. naokaji

naokaji whatever

today's pc's have so many fans that you just need to attach wheels to it and you have the perfect vacuum cleaner...

anyway...

i've stopped smoking, not really for the health of my pc, but, rather for my own, and yes, heatsinks get real badly messed up, even if you clean them regularly and often buy new hardware...

2. Techno-Dann

Techno-Dann Disgruntled kumquat

Smokers' PCs get even nastier - I've seen some where everything was sticky from the tar that had collected in them.

3. teamtd11

teamtd11 *Custom User Title*

And all of that stuff goes through your lungs first :nono:

4. Drachnem

Drachnem Minimodder

My father smokes 4-5 packs a day, I have tried to get him to cut down but he doesn't listen. I also vacuumed the house 2 times a month.

5. knuck

knuck Hate your face

I hate the smell of that stuff....

6. tk421

tk421 Idiot.

uhm. i smoke a bit over a pack a day. for about 17 years.

4-5? i would have to be drinking nasty cheap pilsner out of a garbage can keg to smoke that much. the heaviest smoker i have ever known (chain-smoking during most waking hours) only hit 3 a day.

and there is no way that was only 6 months of dust, unless your dad also has a zoo full of animals. with 4 smokers and 5 cats, in a 2 bdrm flat, a pc will look like that in about 9 months. if the pc is on 24/7.

7. The_Beast

The_Beast I like wood ಠ_ಠ

wow that is a ton for 6 months

8. 901-Memphis

901-Memphis Opteron ftw

Those are some of the craziest pics i have seen of 6 months of build up of dust and dirt.

9. Drachnem

Drachnem Minimodder

My father is disabled and does nothing all day except smoke, drink coffe and play WoW. He also makes his own cigs.

10. Demon Cleaner

Demon Cleaner What's a Dremel?

I thought so. You can see bits of baccy in the fan. I guess he's not a careful roller.

11. Cyprio

Cyprio G5 Supermodder

Im speechless!

12. Guest-18698

Guest-18698 Guest

just Imagen what his lungs look like lol

13. Drachnem

Drachnem Minimodder

I've tried to get him to slow down, but he's stubborn. Took me years to get him to leave windows 98 for xp lol.\

14. K.I.T.T.

K.I.T.T. Hasselhoff™ Inside

i don't know what's more scary the state of the cooler/fans or the fact that i still use that cooler in my main rig :D

15. warchild

warchild What's a Dremel?

You’re joking, right? No way could that be only because of smoke. Maybe a little, but most part is just dirt...Where does your father have the pc? Close to the floor?

16. SPQQKY

SPQQKY Evil Modder

The smoke is a major contributor because it makes the parts sticky. Most of the smaller dust particles would pass by the components and out the case through exhaust fans. I smoke, but not in the house. In the winter, I smoke in the garage. I never smoke near my PC.
    Pot smokers cases are even worse and the smell is disgusting. I've burned my share, but it's been quite a while. My friend is a total head and I had to fix his PC once, it looked much like the one in the OP. I had to buy sensitive electronics parts cleaner from the auto parts store to break up the resin. The thing smelled like a bong that hadn't been cleaned in months.......:waah:

17. Baz

Baz I work for Corsair

I've cleaned dozens of machines in a similar state, I'd guess his PC is on his desk, near where he rolls his fags (thus sucking all the small bits of baccy into the machine)

I opened up a machine once, and there was actually an empty pack of ciggies inside it - god knows how it got in there!

18. kimandsally

kimandsally What's a Dremel?

Absolutely agree, give me the flu any day as opossed to smoke, smoke makes me so ill I can't describe I just cannot breath at all and get pannic attacks, no idea why but I nearly died of one and was rushed into hospital for a few days. I'm rather glad I can go into pubs now as I haven't been able to for over 10 years. I fix PC's and will not touch them if they're from a smokers premises, costs me a fortune turning the work down but needs must as they say.

19. Guest-18698

Guest-18698 Guest

wow, extreme !!

20. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Enter Kim and Aggie: "How Clean is Your PC?"

Tags: