1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress Project: Kenwood HTPC, Update 26th September - Done!

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by TNash, 6 Aug 2007.

1. TNash

TNash What's a Dremel?

After enjoying my roommate's Tivo for almost a year, I knew that I had to have something to record TV with. I decided to go the HTPC route, so here I am. I had always loved the look of my Dad's old Kenwood KT-5500 FM receiver from the mid 70's.

[​IMG]
    The Kenwood KT-5500

[​IMG]
    One with the Lights on​

After asking his permission to tear it apart, the first part of my HTPC was born. I'm going to build a new case for it out of wood. I haven't really worked with wood before...so we'll see how it goes...

I've mocked up what I want it to look like in Autodesk Inventor (yay for being an engineering student!)

[​IMG]
    My Rendering​

OK, time to get to work:
    [​IMG]
    Inside the box

[​IMG]
    The frontplate completely removed, with the wood in the background

[​IMG]
    Some plans for the case​

So...I decided to use Poplar veneered plywood. I couldn't seem to find anything better....but I don't really know where to look. As you can see, I made the cuts already....then I realized I cut them wrong :wallbash:. Remember that old adage: Measure twice, cut once? Mine went more like: Measure once, cut once, swear loudly, go buy more wood :hehe:.

I have to go buy the wood tomorrow, then I should have an update by mid-week.
    Let me know what you think!

Last edited: 27 Sep 2007
  2. ReFredzRate

ReFredzRate Relix Headshot!!

Why veneered plywood? You could as well use MDF which you painted matt black. I think that would look quite a bit better with the aluminium front of the casing than the veneered plywood you are planning.

Besides that, while you're at it, you could change the front fascia with the frequency band (or whatever) to match a fascia that actually makes it a bit more modern.

I have to say that I really like the casing though!

3. radodrill

radodrill Resident EI

Maybe you could modify the front panel controls to actually control stuff on your PC ;)

Glad to see another person who isn't using sketchup for their drawings; I personally prefer Pro/E though. And yes, I'm an engineering grad student (already a certified EI :) )

4. TNash

TNash What's a Dremel?

I really like the look of wood against brushed metal. I thought about making it matte black, actually, but then decided to go with wood, which I'm going to stain a dark color.
    EDIT: I was just thinking...If I don't like the look of the wood after I've put it all together, I think I probably will end up painting it...the wood was pretty cheap, so no qualms about painting it on my part.

I'm not really sure what you mean. As far as modernity goes, I like that it's kind of retro.

I thought about doing that, but I'm not really sure how to do it. I think having the large knob in the middle control system volume would be really cool. If anybody knows how to do that and could help me out, feel free to PM me.

Thanks for the comments:thumb:.

Last edited: 6 Aug 2007
  5. Dean MF

Dean MF PC Freak!

What software did you use to render your plans?

6. TNash

TNash What's a Dremel?

It's the Inventor Studio software that comes with Autodesk Inventor. It's just a rendering part of the program. Seeing as how Autodesk owns 3DSMax, I wouldn't be surprised if it's a related somehow.

7. elbarto241

elbarto241 What's a Dremel?

the vintage front will look amazing for a PC. if you do find out how to turn the nob into a volume control, throw me a PM [im dooin something similar also].

i also reccomend working with MDF, cheap and easy to work with, but if already have your stock of wood purchased; go right on with that :D

8. b4i7

b4i7 modding dreams into reality

awesome! i have a kenwood that im doing the exact same thing with!...cant wait to see how yours turns out!

9. TNash

TNash What's a Dremel?

A couple more shots:
    [​IMG]
    I'll replace the FM Radio activation light with the hard drive activity LED. I'm also thinking about modding a Griffin Powermate into the knob to control volume and other stuff.
    [​IMG]
    A nice shot with the lights on​

10. CJ145

CJ145 What's a Dremel?

I have the exact same receiver but it's broken. I already love this project, looking forward to seeing the updates. :)

11. jokkos

jokkos too busy to mod *sigh*

the receiver is just so retro and beautiful. I hope you can keep as much as possible of the front look. *makes note to keep an eye on this project*

12. TNash

TNash What's a Dremel?

I finally found a smaller PSU, so I'm going to change the design a bit...update tonight...

13. TNash

TNash What's a Dremel?

Ok, a little update:
    I was going to use a mATX PSU that was making my wood case larger than the front piece from the Kenwood case. I finally found a smaller PSU so I changed the design of the case. I also decided to make the case using the wood I have (since I already bought it), but use veneer to make it look seamless. I'm trying to decide between Maple, Ash, and Walnut.
    [​IMG]
    The New Design​

14. TNash

TNash What's a Dremel?

Thanks guys. Yeah, I'm going to try to keep it exactly the same in the front.

15. ReFredzRate

ReFredzRate Relix Headshot!!

Of your three veneer options (ash, walnut, maple) I really think walnut would look best with the aluminium front of the case.
    Will you be cutting the plywood panels in 45 degree angles to make it seemless? Would looks best imo.

16. HourBeforeDawn

HourBeforeDawn a.k.a KazeModz

well I was about to say that there is plenty of HTPC SFF cases that look like old stereo receivers even some with the big old nob but this looks great and will be really impressive if you could get the signal strength and other gauges to work with the system, I will keep an eye on this build for sure.

17. TNash

TNash What's a Dremel?

Yeah, I'm leaning towards walnut as well. I took a piece of wood to the gut the last time I tried cutting 45 degree angles on my table saw (which I affectionately call "the table saw of death"), so I'm probably just going to cut two pieces long and two short and abut them, then sand it smooth. That should be good enough for the veneer to lay down on....I think? I haven't worked with veneer before, but I'm aiming to get the peel and stick kind, so hopefully it won't be too hard.

18. dacust

dacust What's a Dremel?

Look at slipperyskip's Skyscraper Photo PC on bit-tech. He does butt joints and then veneers it. IMO that's the way to go. A 45 degree joint is difficult, and needless if it's going to be veneered.

Buy you a metal roller to put the veneer down. It's practically a must for pieces larger than a few inches. Although slipperyskip managed on larger pieces without doing that, I have better luck with it. The thinner the veneer, the more you need one.

Slipperyskip describes his process very well and has some really good pointers. The most important is probably that during clamping the veneer will creep (not much with self-adhesive, though), so cut it a little large and then trim it down. That's the way to get good clean edges.

19. TNash

TNash What's a Dremel?

Thanks for the info dacust! Good to see my plans have the possibility of coming together :hehe:.

20. TNash

TNash What's a Dremel?

A little update: I got my veneer in from Constantines.com. I ordered a 2' x 4' piece of Walnut with adhesive backing.
    [​IMG]
    My Veneer​
    I'm using some candles to straighten it out before I cut it.:D Hopefully an update tomorrow!