1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motherboard heatsinks Gigabyte GA P35-DS3P ve DS4

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by cosmic, 6 Aug 2007.

1. cosmic

cosmic What's a Dremel?

I have got my motherboard choice down to 2, either Gigabyte GA P35-DS3P £87 or the Gigabyte GA P35-DS4 £103

Both have 8 SATA I need (7 of those) and 2 x IEEE1394 which is also essential for me. Both are GIGABYTE Ultra Durable 2 Series of motherboards so have similar build quality, the only difference is the DS4 has heatpipe cooling including the CPU power MOSFET. Most of the time the system will run at stock speeds but several times a week I will push the bus to 400MHz when I need to do some video rendering, so just wondering how significant the heatpipe cooling will be in achieving that. Not much difference in cost, but might be replacing it for an X38 board come the new year.

Also anyone who owns a Gigabyte board with this heat pipe cooling (so DQ6 or DS4 series) had any problems fitting large CPU coolers like the Scythe Ninja

2. MilkMan5

MilkMan5 Yeah man...

I would suggest the P35-DQ6/DS4 because of the thermal (SilentPipe3) also Gigabyte is using solid-capacitors which not only are better, but are also shorter than normal capacitors.

Unfortunately I do not know if that specific cooler will fit, I don't see it been a problem.

Maybe someone can give you more details, or I could find out a bit more.

3. scooby_rex

scooby_rex What's a Dremel?

would 2nd the DS4 it is top of my shopping list to. I water cool my current northbridge this will be redundant with the gigabyte heat pipe cooler cover north,south and mosfet. this cooler alone is more than worth the price difference.

contact sycthe they would of heard by now if there are problems with the ds4

4. cosmic

cosmic What's a Dremel?

Thanks for the replies, I think your right about the Gigabyte GA P35-DS4 being the better option

The premium for the DS4 is small and eliminates the worry that the DS3P heatsink might not be quite good enough for a stable overclock.

I checked the Scythe website last week for motherboard compatibility and found it quite poor in terms of how current it is - however I was looking at the DQ6 at the time. Just checked again following your post and it seems both the DS3 and DS4 versions using the Intel 965 chipset are OK, so I would think the P35 version is as well. They have a nice image of the cooler fitted to a DS4

http://www.scythe-usa.com/support/cpu/008/images/Gigabyte-GA-965P-DS4-Ninja-Rev-B.jpg

5. bwgames

bwgames Minimodder

I really wouldn't recommmend getting the DS4 and try the Scythe Ninja cooler, or any large cooler. the massive heatsinks make it *very* hard to get at the screws/pushpins. I did, and really regretting it now..

6. cosmic

cosmic What's a Dremel?

Thanks for the information - are you saying it was difficult to install the heatsink or that you were unable to do so.

The heatsinks on the DS4/DQ6 are certainly big which made me wonder, but then just about every motherboard I look at with heat pipe cooling seems to have a similar layout. When I saw the DS3P and the heatsinks on that, I did start to wonder whether to some extent the heat pipe solutions had over large heatsinks which were to some degree there for show rather than necessity.

7. bwgames

bwgames Minimodder

It was difficult, not impossible though. One in particular is a right pain. Took some pics for you:

Overview (look at top right):
    [​IMG]

The other 3 screws aren't too bad, but that one is extremely difficult to get to - it does have a screwdriver indent which you can get at through the top, but its still not brilliant.

Closeup ish:

[​IMG]

The mobo heatsink at the top of the first picture is practically level with the bottom fins of the CPU HSF...
    I couldn't move that pin at all using my hands, and the screwdriver was a bit iffy, but you might have better luck...

8. Bl4ckM0onk3y

Bl4ckM0onk3y in luv 2.0

You can mount Ninja Rev.B on the DQ6 but as the bwgames wrote its hard to push the pins that hold the HSF in place because the heatpipe design of DQ6 is very cramped.

9. cosmic

cosmic What's a Dremel?

Thanks for going to the trouble of pointing out the problems with those excellent pictures and the tips on how to fit it. So those cut outs in the corners of the fines are so you can use a screwdriver during installation rather than to aid cooling :jawdrop:

Having slept on the issue, I think the DS4 is the way to go. The problem with tower heatsinks like the scythe Ninja is the sideways facing fans (or when used fanless) do not provide any ventilation for the CPU power MOSFETs so these will get very hot. The heat pipe cooling addresses this problem on the DS4 and DQ6 with an additional heatsink. I think you were right to go with the DS4 in spite of the problems you encountered and now with your having alerted me to the issue, I can maybe try and fit the heatsink before installing the motherboard in the case.

Thanks

10. cosmic

cosmic What's a Dremel?

Thanks for the warning - by the way did you install the heatsink with the motherboard out of the case. Was the problem with just one of the pins as described by bwgames above or more than that.

Its certainly a tight fit as shown by those pictures by bwgames, but I am starting to think the advantages of the heat pipe solution as I mention above are significant.

11. bwgames

bwgames Minimodder

Hmm, perhaps.

I fitted it outside of the case - depending on your case, it will be impossible to fit in the case. Also, My case has a removable tray - the Ninja is so big I can't slide it out, which means I have to remove the mobo from the case every time, but thats a case/ninja issue, not the gigabyte.
    However, I found it virtually impossible to get at the lower right CPU pin`(one in the bottom of the pics, can't see it) with the mobo in the case, due to the PSU and heatsinks being in the way. Took me an hour to get it out (couldn't remove mobo from the case as a brass standoff was crossthreaded, whoops).

Looking at getting a new case (Antec 900 or P182, probably the 900 as the 182 is too big I reckon) to solve that issue.

Also, it might just be me, but I'm not that happy with the Ninja and the perfomance with my Q6600 - I've tried reseating/repasting it several times, and I get stock load temps of 60/70, with a 10degC difference between the cores....

12. MilkMan5

MilkMan5 Yeah man...

13. cosmic

cosmic What's a Dremel?

Its a thought but I already have the Ninja. Most of the time I want to run it with the fan off if I can, is why I bought it. But will keep what you say in mind if I cant get round the problems bwgames has described.

14. cosmic

cosmic What's a Dremel?

Well I already have the Ninja so I might as well try that as a first step. I have an Antec P182 on order (Scan have Antec cases on offer today) so its down to getting the right motherboard and a Q6600.

If your having problems with the temperature - could it be the airflow in the case rather than the Ninja, 60/70 sounds too hot. Is the ambient temperature in the case high, maybe from a graphics card?