1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows strategy game

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Archtronics, 9 Aug 2007.

1. Archtronics

Archtronics Minimodder

Can anyone recommend a good strategy game that you can build good castles/city's in and involves governing your people.

2. fwalm

fwalm Minimodder

Well you dont really govern people but Warhammer 40k Dawn of War, would be fun for building and that sort of game if you mean if not, civilization 3 most likely

3. Archtronics

Archtronics Minimodder

Thanks for the reply I have warhammer I was looking for more of a sword and shield game and I dont really see why people think civ 3 and 4 are fun.

4. fwalm

fwalm Minimodder

I dont think their fun either just thought you might and what you could do if you like mmo's is wait for the Warhammer one that will be released soon. There isnt much other than Age of Empires that I would advice adn 3 is pretty poor compared to the rest, maybe Rome Total War actually or any of the Total War series. If you like sword fighting I would advise you to go for them. never stop having fun with them. You have to take control different areas and can start as British French, Germans well alot lol.

5. Hells_Bliss

Hells_Bliss What's a Dremel?

Stronghold 2 would be perfect, you can create castles, manage people, build a city around your castle, and then fight! :)

if you want a economy sim, 1602ad.

Sim City 4...not castles etc, but still lotsa fun :)

6. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

Stronghold/Settlers series' sounds like your kind of thing, I prefer Settlers myself, old school Settlers 2 being the best. I didn't get on with Stronghold 2 because it was horrifically buggy, but they've probably sorted that out now.

7. Hells_Bliss

Hells_Bliss What's a Dremel?

yeah they must have fixed it, I had no problems when I played it...

8. Bungle

Bungle Rainbow Warrior

Agreed settlers 2 was the best of series. Good old settlers is a part city planner, part traffic warden type of game;).
    You might want to try Lord Of The Realm III or
    Caesar III

Not an all in one package but will satisfy both your requirements.:D

9. nicotine

nicotine What's a Dremel?

Medieval Total War 2 is all you need.

10. Amon

Amon inch-perfect

I absolutely loved that game. Very, very good game that involved a lot of planning to maintain your city; I enjoyed it even more than SimCity 3000! It ran pretty good on my Pentium Pro 166MHz too :D

11. Bungle

Bungle Rainbow Warrior

Yeah twas a good game, although I often reached a level whereby I couldn't cope with all the issues that the populace were throwing at me, so I use to deny them all bathing facilities and watch as desease got the little biatches:D Not sure if you've tried Startopia but this is another little gem of a title. Hours of fun.

12. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

If you want to go really old school you could go with Pharaoh

13. Archtronics

Archtronics Minimodder

Well Iv narrowed it down to stronghold 2 and medival total war but can anyone tell me what the castle buildings like in medival.

14. fwalm

fwalm Minimodder

Em well you dont build castle in game, what you do is like have different territories and you can build a castle in each territory and upgrade things so it can have defensive weopans, make buildings in it so you can train better units, upgrades like extra walls, and if your attacked they ahve to siege your castle or if you attack them they may have a castle. So if thats not what your looking you wouldnt like it. Personnally Total War is the best about for them kind of games and well it just cant end so you wont complete it lol.

15. Archtronics

Archtronics Minimodder

well that a shame you dont actually get to design them yourself because I like the fighting style of the game and it has some nice visuals to.

16. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

It definitely is a great game, although if you don't like civ I don't think you'd like the TW series as the main portion of the campaign revolves around TBS.

17. Archtronics

Archtronics Minimodder

I dont mind TBS game were you actually get to fight battles I just never seen the thrill of the civ games.

18. DaveVader

DaveVader Fast Action Response Team

I am 100% with you sirkillalot617. I bought Rome Total War yesterday and I love it. It's an awesome strategy game with some good city management but concentrates on more of the battle part of the game. The battle scenes are awesome with hundreds of units and the amount of strategy needed can make a battle tip in anyones favour. I have also been looking for a Sim City crossed with AoE type game. I like the city management, design etc. but I love the war scenes and battle planning in Total War. If anyone has heard of Cossacks then that was my first love of a strategy game. Thousands of units and great cities ... shame about the small maps.

19. Akava

Akava Lurking...

I would say Settlers myself, esp with the soon to be released, Settlers: Rise of an Empire, on its way, i'm just about to play the Beta, will report back if its any good :D :dremel:

20. DaveVader

DaveVader Fast Action Response Team

I saw it on Gamer TV. Looks pretty good to be honest so then I went to look for old Settlers games on YouTube and it ... looked weird?!

Tags: