1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Displays Deciding Between 20" & 22"

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Shadow_101, 8 Aug 2007.

1. Shadow_101

Shadow_101 Minimodder

This is probably down to more personal preference than anything but figured id try and get some input.

I’m trying to decide between a 20" and 22" TFT, but I’m not sure which to plum for. I’d prefer the larger screen, but I’m concerned that as same res is used at both sizes, that the 22" will look too stretched. I chose my current 17" because I thought 19" just looked crap and stretched.

So as a question for those that have experienced both, which do you prefer?

2. Muzza

Muzza What's a Dremel?

hmm, it shouldn't look stretched if it's the same aspect ratio and resolution. The icons, etc should just look bigger on the 22"

anyway, i use a 20" at work and 22" at home, both are excellent, i opted for the 22" at home because i've got my xbox hooked up to it, as i usually am reclined back playing it so a little further back, i felt the extra size would be benificial.

3. WarningFromSpace

WarningFromSpace What's a Dremel?

I like my 22' CHIMEI, it was an adgustment to egt use to from a 19 crt but really man the bigger the better ^_^

4. Bl4ckM0onk3y

Bl4ckM0onk3y in luv 2.0

Bigger is not always better , but i would go for bigger ;>

5. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Go to a shop that sells both kinds and judge for yourself - some people like 19" monitor's compared to 17"'s, but I prefer the smallest dot-pitch I can get, coming from a CRT world. :p

6. mk-donald

mk-donald bits and bobs

I went from 19" Aperture Grille CRT (ie 4:3 1280:1024) to a 22" TFT (ie 16:9 1680:1050) and it looked a bit odd for a few days, but now can't understand why I delayed upgrading. Just remember to set up the free MS's ClearType to get the extra benefit of those sub-pixels for anti-aliasing of fonts (think it's auto/defaulted in Vista).

7. Spaceraver

Spaceraver Ultralurker

those last 2" make a big difference.. ask any female counterpart.. :D

8. x06jsp

x06jsp da ginger monkey!!!!

lol was wondering when someone would turn up with that one! lol but seriously its the truth if they say size doesnt matter its cus they have a bf with a huge one! or they are small.

anyway back on topic i would go for the 22" im here stuck on a 19" waiting to get a 22" but lack of money and girlfriends brithday next month is holding me back from buying one.

9. SPQQKY

SPQQKY Evil Modder

It's not the size of the ship, it's the motion in the ocean........can you tell I'm trying to justify something here.

To be honest though, and BOT, it depends on the brand and quality of the monitor. Namely how well it handles colors (black being the most tricky) and the backlighting. I spent a few more dollars on my 20.1" because of the great color and back lighting.
    @mk-donald, in my opinion, MS' clear type isn't all it's cracked up to be. I do not use it anymore, it depends on the monitor.

10. Shadow_101

Shadow_101 Minimodder

How did my thread get on to penis'es!

Think I’ll be going for the 22", as it will be doubling as a bed room TV. But I’ll go have a look myself though as Krikkit suggested.

11. Tim S

Tim S OG

How much are you spending?

The Samsung 215TW (21") is the best 20-22" monitor out there - many of the bit-tech/TR staff can attest for that, as several of us have gone out and bought (at least) one for ourselves.

12. iwog

iwog Linux cursed

You mentioned size, and more specifically an inches size. Blokes of our nature only have 2 things to compare, our penises and our e-penises.

13. The cheapskate

The cheapskate One custom title before Matty

21inch samsung. as tim said, Im sooo tempted to stick one on the credit card!

(its also the pcpro Alist screen atm)

14. Woodstock

Woodstock So Say We All

who bought more then one, lol

15. Cyprio

Cyprio G5 Supermodder

I would also look for the Dell 2007WFP 20" with it's S-IPS panel - next to my old monitor with a TN panel the colours and viewing angles are breathtaking for an LCD screen imo.

16. outlawaol

outlawaol Geeked since 1982

I got the Samsung 226bw. Awesome 22" monitor. Comes with a fantastic warranty too (three years if I recall). I boosted my text to 125% as it gets really small at 1680x1050.

:)

17. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Display size is like money: you can never have too much. :D

18. Woodstock

Woodstock So Say We All

i think that might just sig worthy,

19. LegolasUK

LegolasUK What's a Dremel?

How does the Dell 2007WFP compare with the Samsung 215TW? Im thinking of getting one of the two but can't decide which one to go for:confused:

20. Cyprio

Cyprio G5 Supermodder

Im not sure to be honest - the Dell was much cheaper so i went for value for money over 1" more.
    I know that the stands have the same functionality!

Tags: