1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any reccomendations for antivirus?

Discussion in 'Software' started by vescaegg, 12 Aug 2007.

1. dragontail

dragontail 5bet Bluffer

Lol, AVG is good for a free I guess. I was using it before I switched to Kaspersky. When I did switch, Kaspersky found 5 or so virii AVG hadn't detected :/

2. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

I find AVG anti-Spyware very good. It found stuff that Spybot or/and Ad-aware didn't see (both were up to date)

3. Drachnem

Drachnem Minimodder

Nod32 or go home.

Why Nod32? Because it is the best at all it does, it will stop adware, spyware, it is the ONLY anti-virus program to pick up every new virus before having the definition it scans your internet connection, documents, everything. I will not use anything else.

What qualifies me to say such? I went to school at CPC for cyber security and Nod32 was introduced to me there by my professor who manages many corps. computers, and have never heard of one person who used to use it and switched for something else.:hip:

Nod32 will not let you down, if it does, I will punch myself in the nads and record it for you. :blush:

4. Koolpc

Koolpc Minimodder

AVG is superb.

5. Henchman:crg

Henchman:crg What's a Dremel?

I use AVG and it's good but has had problems with not working properly with automatic updates, so I find I have to do this manually.
    I've heard good things about Nod32 in the office (I'm a software developer working with many experienced and highly skilled people)

Don't touch Norton, it runs updates as most do, but has caused many problems, including disabling the internet connection on one of my friends computers, and a complete re-install on another persons computer needed, and try getting rid of it!
    Who ever said Norton picks up everything is also wrong, after removing it and installing AVG, multiple viruses were found which Norton missed, so it might have a big database but if it doesnt use it properly or it's just missing virus definitions it's not much use.

We use McAfee at the office, it's slow, it's not as much of a problem as Norton, but still not worth paying for.

Avast won't work on Vista (as of 3 weeks ago), so don't bother using it, my Aunt spent a long time with support people about Avast on Vista and gave up, AVG worked first time, even though the did there best to get it working, and providing updates and quick fixes (hacks) to try and make it work.

6. AlexMF

AlexMF What's a Dremel?

Yet another vote for Nod32 and against Norton from me.

Norton has come preinstalled on few machines I've bought recently. Even when the first thing I've done is uninstall it, it has still given me some grief. It has too much of a tendency to *almost* but not quite remove itself. This would be ok if the product was good and never needed to be removed but it is far from.

Nod32 on the other hand has been good for me. It's not quite as friendly an interface as some others (though I prefer software that allows you to select what you want rather than trying to hold your hand and tiptoe you through the process of changing the most mundane settings). The best thing about Nod32 in my opinion is the speed at which it gets the job done and it's memory footprint (or lack thereof). Having previously been a user of McAfee there is a clear noticeable difference in performance between that and Nod.

- Alex

7. shyampc

shyampc What's a Dremel?

I am also using AVG Free without any problems. I am a regular internet user using it about 10 - 18 hours. I have not come across a problem after installing AVG.

8. MiNiMaL_FuSS

MiNiMaL_FuSS ƬӇЄƦЄ ƁЄ ƇƠƜƧ ӇЄƦЄ.

Nod32 is the best if you want to pay.

AVG is the best for free.

Simple.

9. zerolock

zerolock What's a Dremel?

Using Avast, it's working for me.. used to run AVG but
    gave it up some time ago cos the updates didn't work properly.
    I dunno if I should give AVG another try.. :rolleyes:

10. shyampc

shyampc What's a Dremel?

I also had some problems on updates. It didn't work properly for many days. But after I uninstalled and then installed it, it became OK.

11. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

@zerolock:
    AVG7 has no more update issues. Well I never fell onto one yet.

12. zr_ox

zr_ox Whooolapoook

Avast without a doubt.

Never believe anything you read in PC world, dont even buy it!

Stay away from the bloat mongers ahem....Norton & Symantec!!!!

13. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

What blue bar? I've never had problems with AVG slowdown... :confused:

I haven't tried NOD32, but I always hear good things about it, so I guess it's a case of NOD if you want a subscription-based AV, AVG Free for a free one... :)

14. Cptn-Inafinus

Cptn-Inafinus Minimodder

I will always recomend AVG's Line of free software. Its free, and its absoloutley fantastic, with daily updates against viruses and just general goodness.

End of

15. SniperDaws

SniperDaws Can't Mod Won't Mod!

ive tried loads of antivirus and all i can say is Nod32 is the best, it has a small footprint and wont bring your pc to its knees like EVERY other AV does.