1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

x2900xt install problem

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by rikbikboo, 9 Aug 2007.

1. rikbikboo

rikbikboo What's a Dremel?

whenever i try to install the latest driver i alwaysget an error that says inf file not found. then installation ends.

the driver appears to be installed but when i run 3d mark it says that i am nto using approved drivers.

has anyone had this problem and did you fix it.

if so how.

specs
    vista ultimate (free from microshaft)
    asus mobo
    x2 3000cpu
    4gb ram
    2x x2900xt 1gb cards

bells and whistles

thanks

Last edited: 9 Aug 2007
  2. chrisb2e9

chrisb2e9 Dont do that...

I assume you mean the ati drivers? Try uninstalling them and then reinstalling. if that doesn't work make sure the 3dmark is up to date, failing that maybe roll back the drivers to older versions.

And to uninstall the ati drivers dont use the ati program to do it. it misses stuff, (at least, last I heard) and there are other programs that will remove all the driver from the system. I just cant remember the name of it.

3. rikbikboo

did all of that and still get the same error

4. diasam

diasam What's a Dremel?

Um, you're not being very clear about where you're installing the drivers from (ex: CDs that came with the video card or downloaded drivers from ATI website?). But since you're installing the "latest driver" (directly from your original post), I assume that you're installing the drivers downloaded from the ATI website.

Well, this solution is similar to above, but might as well as try again.

If driver rollback didn't work, try going to control panels, device manager, right click on the graphic card, click properties, go into drivers tab, and click uninstall drivers. Since the new drivers had problems, I'll assume that you will use the older driver for now. In that case, install the new driver from the CD that came with the disc. If you want to try the new drivers again (which I cannot guarantee it will work), install it from the downloaded files from ATI website instead.

The first solution I would try though, is using system restore to the point where your graphics card and drivers worked fine (this only works if you're not installing the card in as new hardware right now, but had it for some time). This worked for me when I updated the drivers for my ATI Radeon X700 and it screwed up my resolution (highest it could go was 1024 x 768 eww), so I just used system restore.

Also, X2900 is a pretty new card (only few months old), so the drivers could still have problems. Just use the drivers that works fine for a while until a newer and safer driver comes out in the future.

5. rikbikboo

yes i am guessing that it has to be a driver problem. i had this issue with my x1950xtx cards but the driver in the box worked fine.

oh well back to the drawing board

6. calib3r

calib3r What's a Dremel?

Return them and buy a 8800 instead. :thumb:

7. rikbikboo

hehe i just installed the drivers from the sapphire website. it appears that the ocuk card is actually a sapphire in disguise

8. cmberry20

cmberry20 Mad Scientist

So did it fix your problem?

btw. All cards are actually ATI whether they be from Sapphire, OCUK, MSI etc. All that the manufactures do is either stick a none OEM fan/heatsink on & just a different sticker. Some companies flash the card with a special bios (overclocked, better core speed etc). If they have done this, this could be the reason for your driver problem.
    For drivers, your best off going to ATI.com

Tags: