1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Education A-Level Results

Discussion in 'General' started by Ramble, 15 Aug 2007.

1. karbonKid

karbonKid Minimodder

If grade boundaries move, they move for everyone. Coursework is moderated for each centre (college) so that everything is uniformly-marked across centres.

2. Ramble

Ramble Ginger Nut

Ahh right.
    Stupid ****ers, I hate them...

EDIT: Wait a sec, they shouldn't be marking coursework at centres, the teachers do it and moderate it all before sending it off. The only way a grade should have changed is if the grade boundaries moved.

Last edited: 16 Aug 2007
  3. hitman012

hitman012 Minimodder

AFAIK, the moderation alters the scaling to UMS. The grade boundaries are the same every year for the UMS marks (80% for an A and then going down in 10% increments) but the relationship between UMS and raw marks varies depending on the difficulty of the paper or any exam board action (i.e. moderation). I say this because my chemistry coursework is 3 marks below my teacher's assessment as well.

4. Moriquendi

Moriquendi Bit Tech Biker

Nope, it to stop teachers from being unduly generous to their students. They take a sample of your classes coursework and its marked by an examiner, if the examiners marks are lower than your teachers then mark the whole class down by that percentage while if the examiners marks are higher than your teachers you all go up a bit. It sucks if you think youve got a good mark but then get moderated down but its to make sure that coursework of the same standard gets the same mark all over the country.

Moriquendi

5. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

I always thought you were an old bloke :eyebrow:

6. hitman012

hitman012 Minimodder

Your centre probably has a form of internal moderation between staff to make sure they're being consistent in each department. However, the exam board will sample and moderate as Moriquendi described.

7. kingdavies

kingdavies Minimodder

Just completed year 12

AS Levels:
    Maths A
    Computing A
    Physics B

A Levels:
    Maths B

Did the whole A2 Maths in 1 year, doing further maths in year 13.

8. wewe

wewe What's a Dremel?

I did **** due to health problems :( so I didn't go out last night... :(

anyone going leicester?

Last edited by a moderator: 18 Aug 2007
  9. ozstrike

ozstrike yip yip yip yip

Physics -A
    English-A
    Maths-A

I still haven't finished my further maths yet, got one more module to do in January.
    These are all AS levels. :)

10. profqwerty

profqwerty What's a Dremel?

I somehow got AAAAA in DT Maths Chem Physics Electronics. Scraped the Chem though:p

11. Acehole

Acehole What's a Dremel?

Biology - A
    Chemistry - A
    Physics - A
    Maths - A
    General Studies - B - drat!

Unrealhippe, I got a merit in the chem AEA too - twas a fun paper I thought, I failed the bio one though :eek:

Everyone seems to have got nice grades - go bit-tech :thumb:

12. ch424

ch424 Design Warrior

Whoa, some great grades in this thread! Well done people, and that really sucks Ramble :(

I got:
    Electronics: A (top 5 in country)
    Chemistry: A
    Physics: A
    Maths: A
    Further maths: A
    Additional further maths: A
    So Engineering at Oxford, here I come :)

13. profqwerty

profqwerty What's a Dremel?

alex, how do you find out about the top x in country bit? I'm gonna apply for eng @ ox next year i think so see you there :p

14. Nath

Nath Your appeal has already been filed.

If it's anything like GCSE, you get a letter with your results. :)

15. liquid_gen

liquid_gen What's a Dremel?

Congrats to everybody on the results. Hope you're all happy with them.

ch424 && Acehole: As I am thinking about doing the 3 sciences, maths and further pure maths i was wondering if you could tell me what its like as you seem to have a high number of demanding A levels? Obviously i know im gonna have to work hard but even so is something thats gonna take up A LOT of my time etc?

16. Ramble

Ramble Ginger Nut

Well, I don't do F Maths but I do the others and it is demanding. You can get quite heavy homework on nights, and don't expect a whole bunch of free periods.
    It is however not work all the time, and I myself have had great fun doing science and maths.
    You have to want to do it though, it has to be a passion.

17. Acehole

Acehole What's a Dremel?

I certainly didn't have many free periods last year but it never bothered me because instead of wasting a period away I was doing something I wanted to :thumb:. The only time things got nasty with regards to time was when the mammoth physics coursework was due, but everybody felt that anyway, even those with more free periods than lessons...

Whilst the sciences and maths are meant to be demanding, I personally would have found doing something like sociology impossible, so I wouldn't worry about choosing subjects that are seen to be too hard, as long as they are the right ones for you. The only problem with doing so many is that you really have to want to do them, if thats the case you'll never tire of all the lessons unlike some friends of mine who hated their lessons by the end of year 13.

Hope that made sense - I'm very tired :yawn:

18. dragontail

dragontail 5bet Bluffer

What's that? What modules are they? AFP1, AFP2 M5, M6? lol, don't mind me, I did further and just wondered what additional was.

19. liquid_gen

liquid_gen What's a Dremel?

Thanks, thats pretty much what i wanted to know n i think im gonna go for it n do the 3 sciences, maths and if im allowed to f maths

20. Ramble

Ramble Ginger Nut

Hope you enjoy it. I certinaly have and I will next year too, it's great fun to do those subjects.

Tags: