1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Electronics Internal amp and speakers?

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Duke Raoul, 18 Aug 2007.

1. Duke Raoul

Duke Raoul What's a Dremel?

Hi there,

I'm planing to build a small footprint custom case.
    Now I was wondering if anyone knows a way to enable it to play sounds without any external amp/speakers.
    Can i use some notebook speakers? Do they have an internal amp?
    Or can I maybe just "pimp" the standard system speaker?

The sound doesn't have to be surround. If necessary not even stereo.
    I basically just want my computer to be able to "speak"...
    So the priority no 1 is small size and not the technic :eyebrow: ;)

Greetz
    Duke Raoul

Last edited: 18 Aug 2007
  2. GuitarBizarre

GuitarBizarre <b>banned</b>

Dissasemble the headphone port of the standard audio and split it so you can route two ghetto soldered wires to the inside of the case somewhere? If you can do it without demolishing the module it should still allow normal use, although it may be prudent to implement a switch to control that.

3. Scirocco

Scirocco Boobs, I have them, you lose.

4. Duke Raoul

Thanx for the quick replies!

@ GuitarBizzare:Thanx for the Idea. I could probably manage to get the headphone port inside the case.
    Although this would still mean I would have to get some sort of amp+speakers inside, too, doesn't it?

@Scirocco: Thanx for the links! Only problem I have: I won't have any 5.25" bays in my rig...
    I guess it can be modded (read: "stripped") without too much trouble?!? Would it make a big difference in size?
    Do you or anyone else maybe have some pictures of the inside of one of those systems?

Greetz
    Duke Raoul

5. Moriquendi

Moriquendi Bit Tech Biker

You can get all sorts of small amplifiers that would work in this situation (Link)

These kits are not that hard to assemble if you can solder. If you really dont care about having stereo then the 7W mono amp is small and cheap, if you do then you can get two, one for each channel.

Even better, this looks like a plug-n-play solution Link

Moriquendi

6. Duke Raoul

All right!!
    That looks like the thing I need for this job!
    I just hope these are not out of date, since they are made in "west-germany" ;)

Thanx a bunch!

7. Moriquendi

I wouldn't worry about it, Maplin are awful at keeping their site up to date. Seeing as you're in Germany you might easily be able to find them cheaper or atleast closer, when I was looking at them a couple of months ago most of the sites I found were on the continent.

Did a bit more looking, you'll probably find this link more useful, they're the people who make them (Kemo-Electronic) and they seem to have a shop (my German is non existent but "BUY NOW" is fairly self explanatory)

Moriquendi

8. Duke Raoul

What a service!
    I love this forum!!!:thumb:

Edit: just for anyone who might want to use that link:
    Sadly they're only selling to business customers, not to private persons...

9. Moriquendi

Ah well, I guess youll have to get your keyboard out and do some googleing yourself, I cant do it all for you :rolleyes::p.

Best of luck, let us know how you get on.

Moriquendi

10. lost_modder

lost_modder What's a Dremel?

The older e-machines came with a speaker set that was only two speakers on a headphone wire. You will be fine with no amp or anything. And it will be stereo.

11. TrainedNoob

TrainedNoob Needs more zipties.

I am not sure what the above manufacturers are using, but shielded neodymium driven speakers would probably be best to prevent interference with say hard drives with data on them.

12. Warrior_Rocker

Warrior_Rocker Holder of the sacred iron

one option you have if you have access to a junk yard of some sort is to locate an oldstock sound amplifier. Toucan normally find these in old ford vehicles because often the amplifier was a separate unit from the headunit itself. That are all 12 volt and draw litle current because they were not all that powerful. You can see an example of one in my signature.

Really just depends on how much you want to solder, personally if it requires no soldering its hrdly worth building or modding.