1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Notebooks Laptop screen-casing damaged?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by liquid_gen, 19 Aug 2007.

1. liquid_gen

liquid_gen What's a Dremel?

One of the laptops in my house (my mum's) has got a crack on the screen's casing (ie the back of the screen) and I no-one will admit that they have banged it or something but my mum thinks they have. I however dont think so because, as i have tried telling her, that in the times i used it before the crack appeared i could feel that the hinges werent very smooth (nowhere near as smooth as mine or my sister's) and that i think the crack is as a result of this which causes a lot of pressure to be put on the screen and its casing. This theory of mine makes a lot of sense to me and i think is backed up by the fact that the crack is right next to 1 of the hinges.

So what i want to know is if anyone has experienced any similar problems, what they did to fix it and if they think that this should be covered under the manufacturer's warranty?

2. Techno-Dann

Techno-Dann Disgruntled kumquat

Let's see here - the crack starts at a corner in the casing near one of the hinges, and extends towards where you usually hold the lid to open it? My laptop did exactly the same thing, it's a stress fracture.

And I didn't fix it, as the laptop died a few weeks later. (Video corruption, then no POST, etcetera.)

(edit) It wasn't the crack that killed the laptop, though - it had shown signs of going out before the screen cracked.(/edit)

3. liquid_gen

Yeah your basically right. I believe it is a stress fracture because of its placement and all the evidence i've mentioned above. The crack itself started beside one of the hinges (on the inner side) and has gotten slightly bigger but not much as everyone stopped using when we saw it was getting worse.
    Most important thing i want to know is if this should be covered under warranty and if not is there any way of getting it repaired even at a cost whether through the manufacturer or some other 3rd party

4. markjw

markjw What's a Dremel?

yes, have seen problems a few times with laptop screen hinges and the surrounding casing. A number of laptops I have worked on have suffered from the hinges actually snapping and other machines have had cracks in the screen surround due to the pressure caused by the hinges becoming very stiff.

Another problem I have seen is the hinges coming away from the screen assembly, the fitting for the hinges having pulled out of the plastic.

Mark

Edit: Techno-Dann - the cable for the screen often wraps round the hinges and I have seen damaged cables caused by the screen not being held correctly by the hinge and chaffing / stressing the cable.

Last edited: 19 Aug 2007
  5. liquid_gen

OK so this seems to be quite a common problem and im obviously gonna try n repair but should it this be covered by the warranty as it has occurred with normal use

6. skpstr

skpstr What's a Dremel?

We had a laptop at work where the casing had cracked from the hinge and trying to move the screen became difficult without twisting the panel. The problem was that there was a lot of friction in the hinges so the screen would stay in the position it was moved to, but the screen was fixed to these hinges by only a thin strip of metal at each side and all the rigidity was provided by the casing.

My advice would be to avoid using the laptop too much until it is fixed.