1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Paramount drops Blu-Ray support

Discussion in 'Serious' started by BioSniper, 20 Aug 2007.

1. BioSniper

BioSniper Minimodder

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=412

:jawdrop:
    What can I say really?
    Comes as quite a shock even though I personally want HD-DVD to win (only because I'm a Sony hater :) )

Thoughts?

2. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

I want HD to win, cheap and cheerful, they just need to get more 51GB discs out and cheap.

10 discs = 1HDD backup!

3. JazzXP

JazzXP Eh! Steve

Yeah, I'm on the HD DVD side too... another Sony hater here :) (they've screwed me over too many times).

4. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

Likewise. I'm sick of their BS.

Though if truth be told, I don't really care as the future is HD downloads anyways. Even for backup purposes I don't really care as I can get a lot of offsite storage cheap enough - even my $6/mo web hosting plan gives me 300 gigs or something, of which I maybe use 50MB.

5. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

I'm in support of HD-DVD as well, it just seems like the guys behind it have got their asses in the right gear.

6. supermonkey

supermonkey Deal with it

Both sides have their pros and cons. I hope the the best technical format wins, regardless of any fanboy feelings toward Sony. As it stands, both of them are pretty good, but neither one is necessarily better than the other. I think this is one of the reasons that the "war" has stagnated for so long now. Neither format can really claim a significant advantage.

With dual-format players entering the market, I think it's entirely possible for both formats to co-exist until the next big thing comes along.

-monkey

7. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

Rumour is that M$ gave Paramount $50million & Dreamworks $100million to make the switch.

8. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

This is massive news imo. Riyad from TR is off down to the BBC today to give an interview on it (they phoned him up at like 6am apparently lol), but what makes me laugh the MOST is the BD and HD fanbois in both the HD DVD forum and under the link above. It must be awesome to claim you're an active fanboi of an optical format.

I do prefer HD, but not at the extreme end of caring.

9. Hugo.B

Hugo.B What's a Dremel?

10. riggs

riggs ^_^

I'm not really clued up on the technical differences between the two, and the only reason I'd like HD-DVD to 'win' is down to the fact that I'm not a fan of Sony products.

Hopefully, this move will draw us closer to the end of the 'war'. Saying that though, Sony must have some kind of retaliation plan up their sleeve...

11. will.

will. A motorbike of jealousy!

I know coffee fanbois :confused:

I have literally seen people arguing almost to the point of violence over their cups of steaming caffeine.

I don't really mind either way from a technical standpoint, but I'd still rather see HD-DVD win.

12. <A88>

<A88> Trust the Computer

I can't imagine why anyone would use optical discs for backup personally when USB HDD solutions are so cheap.

<A88>

13. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

hard drives are not backup, but in the same vein optical media can suffer from rotting.

14. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

ROFL! :hehe:
    Hey! Don't you dis the coffee! :p

I think it is all a bit of hot air anyway. Apart from the increased storage density (a whole season of Futurama on one DVD would be kind of handy), I really do not see the big whoop. HD DVD? Looks same as the old DVD. It's just marketing trying to sell stuff we didn't really know we wanted because the technology can't produce the stuff we really do.

@riggs: love the Avatar. :thumb:

Last edited: 21 Aug 2007
  15. samkiller42

samkiller42 For i AM Cheesecake!!

I am personally a HD person, however, The format wars are only minor due to the fact that there are hardly any HD or BD for sale here in the UK:waah:

Sam

16. Akava

Akava Lurking...

Tbh im not fussed who wins the war, or weather they co-excist, though it seems HD will probably win over, as long as i don't have to buy 5 different drives and 10 adapters to play them all. :dremel:

17. E.E.L. Ambiense

E.E.L. Ambiense Acrylic Heretic

I'd say it's probably more than a rumor.

There's a quote from DreamWorks chief Jeffrey Katzenberg in which he not-so-tacitly acknowledges that his company received financial incentives to go HD-DVD exclusive. These incentives include "both cash payments and soft incentives such as marketing promotions" according to this Wall Street Journal article.

18. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

You wot? My local Gamestation has 6 shelves of HDDVD discs

19. fwalm

fwalm Minimodder

Well my local xtravision has maybe 5 Blu-rays and then maybe 2 stacks off HD-DVD, personally I go hd-dvd since I just like what Microsoft does more than sony, hate them by the way.