1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Boot up w/o keyboard or monitor

Discussion in 'Modding' started by ReFredzRate, 2 Sep 2002.

1. REdefined

REdefined What's a Dremel?

Instead of trying to fit a keyboard someplace, you could always get one of those folding lan keyboards... then just roll it up and stick it where ever. Most places online sell them i.e. newegg/directron and they really aren't expensive. Just an idea if you can't get a keyboard to fit anyplace else.

Peace

2. ReFredzRate

ReFredzRate Relix Headshot!!

Sounds cool, but not very practical for inside the car. Very much because I just need 2 keys from the numeral part of the board and none of any other.
    As far as I'm concerned I'm sure I will mod a keyboard. Just dont know how to boost my audio out...

3. mr. phantastik

mr. phantastik What's a Dremel?

buy a tiny stereo amp kit from an electronics dealer. solder it up good. should cost you like $20 for a 40W amp, more than enough for car speakers.

you can just cut the plasitc stuff inside the keyboard. just find the button you want on the plastic pads, trace the metal lines to the pins, and make sure you don't sever those. you can cut out the rest. or, if you want, find which pins the button goes to (each button, when pressed, puts 2 pins on the controller chip to high), and solder wires to the two pins and then to a momentary switch. voila, your own keyboard button, but without said keyboard plastic.

4. ReFredzRate

Wouldn't that just create the same problem as I'm havong right now? When I plug the thing into my amplifier it gives 25% of what my regular rig gives...

5. Adam

Adam Minimodder

Sorry if someone has already posted this, haven't got time to read the whole thread, but all you should need to do is going into the BIOS with the keyboard attached, go into Standard CMOS settings (if its an Award BIOS), and change the "halt on" setting to "no errors". It should then boot without the keyboard.

6. ReFredzRate

Been there, done that. Didn't work. Got the message: press F1 to continue, should be hard without a keyboard attached :D

I found a 2x22 Watt stereo amplifier at conrad.nl Should that do the trick? Is it supposed to be connected to 2x25W speakers (as I think it should?)?

7. Nedsbeds

Nedsbeds Badger, Slime, Weasel!!

some of the older sound cards i have, have a pair of jumpers to select whether the output from the card is at line level or the other level (cant remember because im tired and drunk) but if you had these jumpers you can change them and make the card louder. just have a look on your soundcard. what is it by the way

8. ReFredzRate

The soundcard is an Avance Logic ALS007. You might be right I have got some jumpers on the card. I'll get some reading material about that right now. Thnx for the tip

9. ReFredzRate

Right now I just wanna say it went totally wrong. Those jumpers killed my psu. Went BANG right beside my ears. Got a major headache right now. Move me over to disaster mods. I think I'll get a car stereo that is pre built to play mp3... Damn, this hurts.... :cries:

10. Ubermich

Ubermich He did it!

did you put the jumper on random pins????? :eeek:

11. ReFredzRate

hell no!! I'm not that stupid. Forgot to unplug the dammn thing and probably was a little static. Nothing I didn't diserve I guess...
    By the way, I'm arranging a new AT power supply right now so why should I stop with this project? Modding is a lifestyle, and I'm not giving up my life ;)

12. mr. phantastik

mr. phantastik What's a Dremel?

woah dude. i'm sorry to hear that. I HATE when things go awry. i just fried my mac keyboard, well, because of my own stupididy. but i feel your pain.

keep in the game though. the end result is usually worth the time/effort/pain/money. USUALLY :D