1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Pc Demo of Bioshock

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by The Stig, 20 Aug 2007.

1. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

We'll have to get the full PC code first :p I played last night on a 7900GS/3GHz Core 2 Duo and it was perfectly playable at 1280x1024 (**** 17" TFT :()

2. Bl4ckM0onk3y

Bl4ckM0onk3y in luv 2.0

well i just finished playing the PC Demo , the first 10 seconds of the game in the plane are excellent , the plane crash not so great , but swimming to the dimmed light to the island and walking up the stairs , then descending down is a great climate builder. The use of the plasmids is not so great , the weapon/plasmids - right/left hand combat was used earlier in f.e. Clive Barkers Undying. The Unreal 3 Engine isnt pushed so much as i would hope for, i guess its a demo but the textures are the same as in Rainbow Six Vegas, i mean some are crisp but some are too far stretched , EAX is great , my Setup Core2Duo @3600Mhz + 2GB of ram + Audigy + 8800GTS +19" LCD and the game runs all bells and whistles maxed and under Vista Ultimate uses DX10 shaders 1280x1024 + forced in NV panel 16XAniso. Drivers are the new ones 163.44 (for Bioshock demo)

My first impression ... i am overwhelmed by this game , i waited so long for it , it is for sure NOT disappointing , BUT the dev's always talked about the "cool" water effects ect. yeah it's cool ok, but not as i have seen on earlier gameplay movies , maybe i'm blind or smth ;f , water looks cool but CrySis has better water effects if you ask me.
    All these choices what are available in demo , in late stages of the demo are mainly choices for combat , zap em in the pool of water ? or to fire them up then when they are in the water trying to put the fire out zap em ? ;] , zap em then shoot them ? ect. Little sisters are nice addition.
    Big daddy is a VERY memorable figure from the game.
    But what i most like is the "old" kind of climate , the 40-50's The menacing figure of the "builder" of Rapture , the story line ... the "angel" line from the little sister at the start of the game, i'll bet there will be some nice dark story telling along the way.
    Oh and most of all , the AGEIA physics incorporated into the UE3 engine runs MUCH more better then in other games , no choppy performance , all runs smooth. Can't wait for the Full Retail game.

3. teamtd11

teamtd11 *Custom User Title*

I played it without any problems at max settings at 1600*1200. i did't have fraps on to get numbers but it was perfectly playable. and i was thinking i might need a new gfx card for some reason :rock:

4. Harrybo

Harrybo GAMER

IV been waiting for the demo for so long!

5. Ramble

Ramble Ginger Nut

Just had a play around in the config files. Hell of a lot of Xbox360 stuff in there.
    Seems you can edit quite a few graphics options, default AF seems to be 4x.
    I found some strings referencing godmode and a sandbox environment so there could be some pretty cool Garry's Shockmod stuff.

6. steveo_mcg

steveo_mcg What's a Dremel?

Any one who downloaded from the mininova torrent should run a virus scan, i got a virus warning pop up when i went to install it. I only mention because i know many of you guys don't bother with scanners. I personally just haven't got round to getting rid of it yet, just as well really.

Edit: Looks like its AVG giving false positives, just disable active guard (?) and run the exe.

Last edited: 21 Aug 2007
  7. Awoken

Awoken Gazing at the stars

I'm playing on the rig in my sig @1680x1050 with Win XP SP2 DX9c and all details on full. It's a little choppy in places but otherwise playable. Definately thinking of upgrading as AA/AF is out of the question on this rig.

8. Cabe6403

Cabe6403 Supreme Commander

My download is almost finished, unfortunatly I was having wireless issues earlier so Its downloading onto one ofthe other computers and so will have to be pulled across the network before I can install it on mine >_<

9. glaeken

glaeken Freeeeeeeze! I'm a cawp!

I have to agree. The water isn't anything special. Most of the time it's just 2 normal maps scrolling across the water plane, nothing revolutionary. However, the extensive use of water does add a lot.

All in all it seems to be a great game though. I liked the plasmids and how they add to the combat. Plus I like how my 6600gt is still able to handle this game.

10. thecubed

thecubed What's a Dremel?

Anyone else notice that the mouse feels kind of .. off?

I just downloaded the demo and updated my graphics card drivers to the latest beta, and I noticed something--
    a new recurring trend in newly released games: the mouse control feels kind of weird...
    I am used to playing Counter-Strike:Source, and the mouse controls are responsive and accurate-
    but in games like FEAR and Bioshock, the mouse seems to be too sensitive, but almost like it is rotating along a sphere or something.
    It really makes the game hard to play (for me atleast) :)

Just wondering if anyone else has noticed the same thing I have (just to make sure I'm not going crazy)

Anyway, that's not going to stop me from buying the game tomorrow ! Woohoo! :thumb:

--
    System Specs:
    AMD 4600+ (socket 939)
    2GB cheapo DDR400 (dual channel mode)
    Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe
    1x eVGA 7950GT
    2x NEC Multisync FE950+ 19" CRT 1600x1200 (gotta love 'em)
    2x 250GB Seagate HDDs
    Dual boot: Windows XP Sp1/ Ubuntu 7.04

11. will.

will. A motorbike of jealousy!

There is a sensitivity setting. Try lowering it.

I finally played it last night, and my first thoughts were "wow, the 360 does a freakishly amazing job, this is almost identical!" Then the sharper textures make themselves known and I know why I have a pc :D

Played fine at 1680 x 1050. No idea of the FPS, but I never noticed any slowdown whatsoever. My new PC is a bit of a beasty though so I wasn't really expecting any problems. :p

12. Bauul

Bauul Sir Bongaminge

Whilst I've not played Bioshock (not at home at the moment, and me thinks this 1 Ghz, 212 Mb Ram, on-board graphics chip Via laptop couldn't handle it, lol), in FEAR you WERE rotating along a sphere, as the game was played from a third person perspective, only the camera was placed inside the player model's head. That's how you were able to always see your feet when you ran and how closely it all interacted with the environment, I guess it's the price you pay for having an imersive game.

13. thecubed

thecubed What's a Dremel?

I don't know if this would be of help to anyone, but if you're getting sick of having to watch the introduction movie every time you run the game, create a shortcut to the Bioshock.exe file and go to the properties dialog of your newly created shortcut.
    In the 'Target:' box, append
    Code:
    ..\..\content\maps\1-Welcome.bsm
    to the end of the line (after the quotation marks).
    You can also add
    Code:
    -window
    to the end of the line to make bioshock run in a window, because for some people the game crashes in fullscreen mode.

I may have also discovered a way to change keybindings in the demo (you can't make them stick from within the game, it resets the config to default after exiting). More on that later, If I find that it works... :)

Hope that helps someone!

14. Ramble

Ramble Ginger Nut

Don't suppose BT is also doing a test at appalling resolutions and quality? I can stick the game down to 1024x748 at the lowest quality (which looks ****) and it still barely breaks 60fps, highest I've been is 75.
    CPU is constantly 60-90% though, on a dual core system, both cores loaded, even when i'm going nothing.
    I simply can't believe my PC is that bad.

15. boiled_elephant

boiled_elephant Merom Celeron 4 lyfe

I think it rocks. I love the fact that it feels like you really HAVE a body ingame. (Although Chronicles of Riddick overdid the movement a bit)

And Jamie, if you have a laptop that can run this, I hate you >.<

16. Bl4ckM0onk3y

Bl4ckM0onk3y in luv 2.0

17. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

This has been responded to short after its release. You have to uninstall the game before re-installing it. That's all. You can re-install it billions of times if you feel the need as long as you uninstall before re-installing.

Link:

http://kotaku.com/gaming/more-bioshock-shock/bioshock-pc-+-you-only-install-twice-292222.php

18. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

That isn't how Bioshock works. You can't see your feet and its just a normal FPS camera.

19. Jamie

Jamie ex-Bit-Tech code junkie

If you want to see your feet, stop looking at the screen and look down. If you still cant see your feet, you are too fat.

20. Tim S

Tim S OG

:hehe:

Tags: