1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Guy Gifts...

Discussion in 'General' started by MystChic, 23 Aug 2007.

1. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

I think if you can afford to buy him one, I deserve one too

2. radodrill

radodrill Resident EI

Two Words: Power Tools

3. Malvolio

Malvolio .

RAM.

Or wait, thats only chicks...

:p

I'd say make him something. Doesn't matter what, just something that you've put a lot of time and effort into. This will show him how much you care, plus it won't just be something silly, like a USB-fan that he'll never use, and will go without a second thought into a junk drawer.

4. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

TBH, I'd skip the gadgets unless you know of something specific that he's looking for and you know exactly what. Go for a romantic night out or something like that. Toys are fun and all, but they're mostly just ticking boxes on a shopping list rather than showing you really care if you ask me.

5. Smilodon

Smilodon The Antagonist

Make it personal.

And who said a gift has to be bought? You could make something, or take him somewhere he have never been. Go to a local tourist attraction that you (he) have never been to. (who visits local tourist attractions in their own area??) After that maybe a nice diner. (You could cook something special at home)

My personal opinion about gifts is that it's mostly a waste. You run the risk of buying something that is not needed or wanted. There are other ways to show that you care about someone. (I'm NOT thinking dirty here...)

6. Ramble

Ramble Ginger Nut

Something useful. Gifts are nice and all but something useful is just great as a gift. if he does a lot of writing get him a pen, or if he's a nerdy geek get him some hardware upgrades or something.

EDIT: Maybe he's bored with sex but thinks your best mate is attractive, treat him that way.

7. Bungle

Bungle Rainbow Warrior

Hint: The best gifts money can't buy (and yes I am thinking dirty here):naughty:

8. Lorquis

Lorquis lorquisSpamCount++;

Sex and money.

9. MystChic

MystChic Geology Rocks!

Okay - no the USB port fan thing.

Thanks so much - you've all been really helpful.. at least now I've got a few ideas to go with than the one I was considering before.

*leaves a big plate of freshly baked chocolate biscuits*

10. BlitzenWagon

BlitzenWagon What's a Dremel?

knives and watches are always good =-)

11. Xen0phobiak

Xen0phobiak SMEGHEADS!

I suppose it largely depends on how old he is and what you can afford, but over here you can give "activity days" as gifts, where someone can do a track day, or drive a tank/hovercraft/hot air baloon and so on and so forth, they're really cool guy presents.

What are his hobbies and interests?

12. Lian Li Lover

Lian Li Lover What's a Dremel?

Kalashnikov make some really lovely watches which I'm sure almost all blokes would like.

13. WireFrame

WireFrame <b>PermaBanned</b>

Knives are good.
    Surely you would want to bay your eyelashes or eyelids, not your eyes....?

14. MystChic

MystChic Geology Rocks!

Hobbies and Interests.. well.. he loves to go spearfishing, so much so that him and his mate are building their own gun things..
    He's 21.. if that helps :p
    And interests.. Science and Physics.. and to a lesser extent, computers. I was thinking of the whole dinner thing..
    The first birthday gift in a relationship is important, and I'm just scared I'll get it wrong..

15. Smilodon

Smilodon The Antagonist

What about a nice composite bow and a bunch of arrows? I have seen people fishing with bow and arrows. Looks really cool!

It is a bit different from spear fishing, but i think it might be close enough.

Of course, you could ask him if there is something he wants...

16. whisperwolf

whisperwolf What's a Dremel?

Best idea, I don't think most men do subtle, if you ask us what we would like we will tell you. and yes emotional presents to men do include games, dvd's and hardware, we place the same emotional attachment to these kind of gifts as women do to jewellery. well at least I do and my other-half’s Cosmo agreed with me.

17. Xen0phobiak

Xen0phobiak SMEGHEADS!

Take him for a good meal then and treat him to a great evening afterwards, and ask his mates what to get him related to spear fishing.

18. capnPedro

capnPedro Hacker. Maker. Engineer.

I sure like my "watches" chambered for 7.62x39mm :naughty:

19. Smilodon

Smilodon The Antagonist

They tick a bit loud, but works great! :D

20. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

Really? I never go for the idea of "I'll think of you every time I use [random gadget] you bought me, thanks!". I certainly don't think of my parents every time I use my laptop, even though they got it for me as a graduation present. If there's something to make it significant (movie you saw on your first date or something to that effect) I guess, but that doesn't seem to apply to too many items.

Though I agree, asking isn't a bad idea if you do want to go down the stuff route.