1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News BioShock copy protection to go?

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 24 Aug 2007.

1. Bl4ckM0onk3y

Bl4ckM0onk3y in luv 2.0

People waited 1 year for copy protection to be removed and for a working crack to Splinter Cell : Chaos Theory , and when it finnaly came no one from UbiSoft cried about it . Well i don't want to buy a game with copy activation like M$ windoze , and especially when i buy it fair and square and then i must download a crack to get it working . This is stupid.

2. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

great way to fcuk a game......

3. Rebourne

Rebourne What's a Dremel?

That's still ridiculous, I bought the game I should be able to install it as many times as I want. I don't want to have to use a crack to play a game I bought, that's absurd and it makes me think I should have pirated it to begin with. Although I won't do that because I want to support PC gaming as much as I can. But still it makes you think....

So yeah, it's pretty much testicals.

4. impar

impar Minimodder

5. specofdust

specofdust Banned

Argh, no, you mean "I couldn't care less". I don't know what idiot made that original perversion but it's bloody annoying.

6. ElZog

ElZog Defeater of Satan's Transformo Sofa

Actually I read something about the could/couldn't and found some people use 'could care less' to show they aren't putting much effort into the not caring, whereas 'couldn't care less' implies you are really working at the not caring.

Something silly like that anyway.

7. Bigturk

Bigturk What's a Dremel?

i tink ill just d/l and play non hassel then :D,

So what do you do if you have no internet, some places in europe still dont have net everywhere, so the only choice iz Pirate copy

8. specofdust

specofdust Banned

Shamelessly stolen from Digg:

I lolled.

9. Clocked

Clocked Yar! It be drivin' me nuts...

*chortle* aaahhh Red Dwarf is the best...

10. [USRF]Obiwan

[USRF]Obiwan What's a Dremel?

Ok peeps! this is awesome! Appearently 2Kgames are going to give Racer_S the person who made a patch for the fov a free 8800. And there is some more info about the copy protection also.

11. steveo_mcg

steveo_mcg What's a Dremel?

Lucky guy, nice of them really. Doesn't excuse them for the copy protection issue though, presumably trying to drum up some good pr out of all this.

12. Tim S

Tim S OG

Rofl, the demo script has been rewritten :lol:

13. Lex

Lex What's a Dremel?

I understand the urge to create an über-copyprotection to a game like BioShock but limiting the times you can install the game is just completely ridiculous.

Way to go...

14. impar

impar Minimodder

Greetings!
    A publicity stunt to clear bad PR after the DRM/Rootkit issue was found.

15. Rebourne

Rebourne What's a Dremel?

Well it's officially been cracked, not well but it has been and in a little under a week. All this trouble to paying customers for five days.

16. f00dl3

f00dl3 What's a Dremel?

On one hand, they already require you to enter a key, activate the product, and have DVD in the drive to play the game. What is the purpose of this install / uninstall authentication?

On the other hand, it's working. We got a Game of the Year here that has yet to be cracked!

17. impar

impar Minimodder

Greetings!

It was cracked yesterday.

Well, SecuROM gets flagged as a false positive by Rootkit Revealer:
    http://forum.sysinternals.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=11253&KW=securom

Still malware, though. If for anything else, the pain to remove it from the system.
    Might get it eventually when the patch with the added activations gets out.

18. completemadness

completemadness What's a Dremel?

yes the securom is only flagged because it has a * in it - which isn't a character you should use
    They are just trying to bring it to peoples attention though

I can see why you shouldn't be able to delete the keys, if you have a demo of something that expires, there needs to be a record somewhere

However, i don't understand why the bioshock demo comes with securom, why are they protecting a free game anyone can d/l ? its completely pointless
    I think 2K have made 1 too many mistakes, and now they have a lot of people on their back

However, IMO, this whole rootkit crap that everyone's coming out with now about securom, is complete tosh, odds are you already have the damn thing for some other game, why its suddenly getting pinned on 2K i don't know

Edit:
    @impar - about that gamespot editorial stuff
    i was about to write this guy is an idiot, but he actually does make a couple of good points, and i do largely agree with him
    The one point i would give on this whole DRM crap though
    "However, retail packaging has no notification that DRM software is installed along with the copy of Bioshock. In the financial world, lack of disclosure is a crime, and this type of situation is likely to bring about the need for industry oversight."
    Yes i think that's right, there should be a warning that DRM software will be installed

However, i still do not believe securom is a rootkit, its not even close
    Firstly, it doesn't actually hide itself from the user, you have to show hidden folders, but half of the folders on windows are hidden anyway - is windows a rootkit ?? (OK this is stupid but i just think this whole issue is becoming retarded)
    Secondly, securom does not act in anywhere near the same fassion as a rootkit, rootkits modify important parts of your OS, so that you can no longer find them, when you goto the process list, it will be a process list shown by the rootkit, but hiding the rootkits process
    when you go into explorer, again it will be the rootkits explorer, hiding the rootkits files from you
    The problem with rootkits is, they take over major parts of your OS, and as such, your OS is now lieing to you in effect, you can no longer trust it, and the only way to truly and safely get rid of a real rootkit, is to re-install windows

This guy is a retard
    Firstly, you cant hide ANYTHING from the OS, the os is what runs it, it is the last link between the hardware, and as such it has to know everything
    However, what a rootkit does is modify the outputs to you, the user, from the OS, so that what its telling you is no longer the truth
    The OS still knows whats going on fine, but your frontend is buggered

This rootkit revealer thing is bogus as well, rootkit revealer looks for things that shouldn't be there and flags them, characters like * are not really allowed in the registry, and are therefore flagged
    What rootkit revealer is actually trying to do, it uses something like regedit, and asks what a key is
    It then goes and gets the registry file (i believe), opens it up, and finds out what it is (without using the OS) it then compares the 2 keys, if they are the same, the OS was telling the truth, If they are different, the OS is lying to you

A real rootkit, made properly for the OS your running on, can technically be completely invisible, and technically it would be possible to hide one forever, without a user ever knowing
    However, that would be pointless, and a rootkit is usually there to do something for the hacker who placed it, and things like keyloggers have to send packets off to the hacker, at which point you can see this odd, improper traffic
    But don't kid yourselves people, real rootkits are a complete b****** to find, and rootkitreveler isn't a surefire way of finding anything

Now, i hate securom as much as the next person, but i like to stick to facts, and what is being spread at the moment is complete crap, its scare tactics, and its being latched onto the real problems with bioshock
    If you have a problem with the way securom operates (making itself hard to delete) take it up with securom, its not 2K's fault, and its unlikely they could even fix it anyway

Last edited: 26 Aug 2007
  19. specofdust

specofdust Banned

What? It's YOUR PC. You own it, you own the hard disk, you can do whatever the hell you want with it including delete registry keys.

And to answer why demo's come with anti-piracy tools, it's generally to prevent the exe or data files of the demo itself being cracked open which can aid with cracking the main game.

20. completemadness

completemadness What's a Dremel?

So lets say you go and try out a piece of trialware, the licence says your allowed to use it for 14 days and then its inactivated
    There has to be a permanent registry key to keep track of that

If you delete (or modify) the registry key, you get another trail, and you are breaking the license agreement
    as far as i can tell, things like that pretty much only serve to try and circumvent the license agreement
    They could do it another way, what if you had an account with them (like steam) then they can easily keep track of if you've demo'd it, but then systems like steam get yelled about too

IMO, having to have the CD in the drive is a pain in the ass, and i use daemon tools just to stop using my originals anyway
    I don't know how you compromise between consumer satisfaction and a all out buffet for crackers

I will say though, this activation crap is way past the line

Seems like stemming the tide to me, its gonna be broken anyway, so whats the point
    Again its only served to piss everyone off anyway

Tags: Add Tags