1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What "desensitized" You

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Cptn-Inafinus, 2 Aug 2007.

?

What desensitized You?

1. A game

19 vote(s)
    24.1%
  2. A film

21 vote(s)
    26.6%
  3. Other

20 vote(s)
    25.3%
  4. Nothin', im' ard' as nails!

19 vote(s)
    24.1%
  1. KoenVdd

KoenVdd What's a Dremel?

Me, I'm still a bit of a chicken doodle (I prefer the term cautious), I don't really see the joy in playing game's and watching movies that scare the excrement out of me. (Thereby I'm still wondering whether I should try BioShock, if my system could run it (haven't even gotten through the doom 3 demo)).
    But Ravenholm indeed desensitized me a bit, I actually found that the most fun level in Half-life 2. Sure the zombies (especially the fast zombies) are a bit scary and when I first played the HL2 demo, not knowing what to find there, first seeing those legs on the tree and then the corpse in the grass, I already caught a bit of a fright, then suddenly finding a zombie moaning right next to me(who I disposed of with a gas canister in a remarkable reflex), which then started screaming in agony caused me to turn of my monitor like a scared child. I hadn't played the demo for a long time after that.
    But but after having played episode 1, where zombies are introduced more kindly, I decided to buy the full game, and this time through, I really enjoyed Ravenholm. With all the saw blades and traps lying around, who wouldn't enjoy them selfs. Definitely after having discovered that if you line up the zombies you can take out up to six with one saw blade (kinda like bowling). And those poisonous headcrabs are just funny, the way they screech before jumping and make ninja like sound when they jump give a strange comical touch to it.
    Thats what I liked about the level, it was a horror level, and while it would seem terrifying, it is one of the most fun places in the game.

Oh, yeah, while it didn't desensitize me (maybe it made me even more of a chicken ****) was when I was about 7 I was watching the sound of music early in the morning (I grew up with 3 sisters and a father who works till 10pm, my taste in movies was a bit deformed (and we mainly didn't have anything better)), after the movie was over came a short sequence from GhostBusters which they had tapped over (but sadly enough not that part), guess which one. Right the Librarian. I think was afraid of about anything for a week after that. Seeing as the video stops immediately after this, I guess my parents at that point realized it wasn't a kids movie and turned it off, but still.

Despite being a rational minded person (or so I think), having a fast imagination can make that you're still afraid of the dark at age 19. (not exactly making myself sound good here)

Last edited: 22 Aug 2007
  2. specofdust

specofdust Banned

Ogrish. I guess years of violent video games made me not really feel depicted violence is odd or anything. But Ogrish really did it. Dead babies'll do that to anyone I suppose.

Interestingly though, for this impacts upon most of us here who'd consider us desensitised - it doesn't apply to Real Life. I'm a very desensitised person to media of all kinds, you can't really shock me with the most evil internet humour, no tubgirl will make me wince, no mega-kill will surprise or shock me. However I was at the scene of an extremely bad car crash earlier this year, and it shook the hell outta me. While we can remain detatched from the subject matter (films, TV, games, the internet) it doesn't affect us much. The minute it touches you in real life? You bet you'll feel it.

3. boiled_elephant

boiled_elephant Merom Celeron 4 lyfe

Very true.

So...
    (1) The very first cutscene in FEAR, when Alma invisible-wet-footprints her way to the prisoner's cell, and whispers "Kill them. Kill them all." (Little girls whispering just ****s me up. I could never work in a nursery, I'd go insane);

(2) Aliens vs Predator 2: the first Marine level, which has 20 minutes of gameplay without a single enemy, but is so well designed and has such perfect atmosphere that I was crapping myself the whole way through;

(3) The Grudge 2 - the scene with the onryo walking down the hospital corridor, with the lights blowing out above her.
    Actually, just the whole film. Best jump tactics ever :eeek:

4. herbs

herbs Nobody but us chickens

The original hellraiser did it for me, someone lent me a copy of it when I was about 12-13 years.

5. theevilelephant

theevilelephant Minimodder

for some reason scary films and games never seemed to have an effect on me, whenever i go see a horror film in the cinema it just makes me laugh (which isnt good as everyone thinks you are some sort of crazed axe murderer).

6. The Stig

The Stig What's a Dremel?

I`d have to say the town in "Silent Hill" it just made me feel really uneasy !
    Creeped me right out !

7. Mother-Goose

Mother-Goose 5 o'clock somewhere

Years of WW2 FPS games has made me think it's kinda cool and wish I was in it. I can't get my head around that, I know it was something the people who served in would rather forget, so why do I find it fascinating?!

8. zr_ox

zr_ox Whooolapoook

Laughter at such things may also be a sign of even greater fear. Laughter as an emotion is often used to mask fear, and nerves.

I know people who do this and they have all but 1 admitted that it's because they are scared, now's your chance to come out of the closet you big sissy :p (joking of course :worried: just in case you visit Denmark and bring your axe).

9. boiled_elephant

It's been remarked upon countless times, don't worry: you're not the first :)
    "War is highly appealing to those who have not experienced it", or something. They knew about it before video games (and they still know about it, which is why we have SOOO many war games.) War is exhilarating. It's dangerous, fast, intense. A total sensory overload.
    In real life, the only downer is you tend to die quite quickly. War games set you up as the hypothetical 'one guy' who makes it, which IS very fun.

But what does this have to do w/ being scared? Are you saying WWII games scare some people? (I've never met them :) )

10. 1st time modder

1st time modder What's a Dremel?

games have never desensitized me..... ever since playing doom when i was 8-10yrs old.... only thing that has was a car accident involving a jeep right in front of my house where 4 teenagers lost there lives in front of me..... seeing there blood and one of them bleeding out and choking on their own blood was bad enough.... but to see the faces of two girls who were in the back seats ground off and a trail of blood against the pavement from there head about 50-80ft back up the road..... ahhhh....... thats fking SCARY!

11. Morphine-Kitty

Morphine-Kitty Dead account.

How old were you? That kind of incident could mess a kid up seriously.

12. Mother-Goose

Mother-Goose 5 o'clock somewhere

Desensitized doesn't just mean scared, I was working on the angle that is has slightly made me nonchalant about the horrors of war, on the news we constantly hear soldiers have died in Iraq, my parents sit there saying "oh its awful" and I just say "it's their job, they knew the risks".

Maybe it's just made me a pragmatist lol

13. boiled_elephant

I'd say so. Being desensitized in that way isn't a problem, imo - it always annoys me when my dad hears the news and gasps in horror at the ten millionth random-child-shot/stabbed-to-death incident. I'm always thinking...surely, after 40 years, you get the idea that it's just a part of life?
    Then again, maybe I've been warped by games too.

14. Fusen

Fusen What's a Dremel?

I haven't seen any mentions of doom3 when played in the dark, hahaha that has some real jump out your seat moments

I reckon it was probably a few films or even movies on the net, nothing in particular comes to mind but I'm majorly desensitized to violence against things, in films I always see family members shrieking and looking away and I don't really mind watching it.

actually one film comes to mind of watching a Russian solider getting his throat sliced open in an I.T lesson at school when I was like 13...it was a real video from some third world country :/

15. samkiller42

samkiller42 For i AM Cheesecake!!

TBH, it was'nt a game that scared me the most, however, a film did, way back in the day, Jurassic Park scared the living day lights out of me. Mainly because my dad decided to put the film on as i was eating my Breakfast before i went to school. I evan had this wired feeling while i was on holiday on France that a few Raptors and a T-Rex were lurking about outside
    T-Rex + Me = Not alot left (off me)
    I dont know what it is, but i will not watch the film, even to this day, and im 19, and fascinated by Dinosaurs and watched and loved Walking with Dinosaurs.

Sam

16. danskmacabre

danskmacabre What's a Dremel?

I saw the movie "Evil Dead" when I was about 16 (which was a LONG time ago).
    There was no turning back after that. lol

Hi, btw , first post here :)

17. wewe

wewe What's a Dremel?

dammit, I must have mis interpreted the title.

18. Major

Major Guest

Visiting Ogrish.com daily for about a year a loong time ago... :)

19. Eraflo

Eraflo What's a Dremel?

I hate scary games and films, although I am starting to like them a little more recently. I played the Bioshock demo whos "jump" moments would of put me off normally. Still not into scary films though really :p