1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Take That BioShock Fans

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Fophillips, 25 Aug 2007.

1. Fophillips

Fophillips What's a Dremel?

2K Games recently issued at statement addressing the DRM protection and widescreen problems for the BioShock PC game. In the statement 2K reveals a change in number of activations available with each copy of BioShock. Consumers are now allowed to activate their copy of BioShock a total of five times via the SecuROM network. Problems have already surfaced on the third-party severs preventing users from activating their copy of the game.

What 2K has failed to address is the the SecuROM service installed on your computer when installing BioShock, which is also included in the demo.

Microsoft offers a utility called RootkitRevealer located: here. The program will scan your system for rootkits. Once you scan your system, the program will reveal the SecuROM service with this message:
    This is due to the * character at the end, causing the “Key Name Contains Embedded Nuls” message. Unfortunately, you may have to follow this lengthly procedure posted by a 2K forum member to remove the service installed by SecuROM

[via]

2. mushky

mushky gimme snails

*hugs 360*

3. Major

Major Guest

You think it is that bad??...

Last edited by a moderator: 25 Aug 2007
  4. Fophillips

Pardon? Yes I do think rootkits are 'bad'.

5. Fod

Fod what is the cheesecake?

... that's not a rootkit - it's a goddamned registry key.

6. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

It's based on the rootkit though, it's been known since release that they are similar

7. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

Software activation as a whole is evil. It's bad for every party, and does nothing to solve the problem it's attempting to solve. Windows is widely pirated, as is Photoshop. Both have activation systems, neither work, and both irritate the actual customers. Bioshock is no different - there's a copy up on TPB, and Demonoid has some sort of crack up (and even if it's not fully functional, give it a week)

8. Fod

9. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

From the sounds of the title of your thread title it seems you hate Bioshock fans for some reason and want to rub it in. It's not particularly new either, we've been discussing this at length in several threads for the past few days already. The only reason 2K have gotten away with this is because their game is so highly anticipated. It's still got fans highly annoyed though, glad I've got the 360 version, this would actually put me off buying to the game to the point where I might not give them my money if PC was my only option.

10. SaII

SaII What's a Dremel?

it's not a 'rootkit', it's a registry entry that shows whether you have the game CD or not, to curb piracy

11. wafflesomd

wafflesomd What's a Dremel?

Take that?

Ok?

12. tranc3

tranc3 ADHD Modder

AH! my 360 has a rootkit :O lol, no but. this is true? i saw something about this on spike.but i wasnt' paying atention... wasn't aware it was that.

13. wafflesomd

wafflesomd What's a Dremel?

No, it isn't actually a rootkit.

14. Fophillips

Let's see. A rootkit is a piece of software that hides files from a third party. Before deleting the registry entry a hidden file exists, and when removed it doesn't. Sounds a lot like a rootkit to me. I think you're confusing the actual definition of a rootkit with your preconceptions.

15. Fod

except the only hidden thing here is a registry key to stop people from screwing up securom and making the game unplayable.

where's the software that's hidden?

16. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

Well, I think when you uninstall Bioshock, SecureROM doesn't uninstall with it, and like Starforce, it's a right PITA to get rid of.

17. Major

Major Guest

18. Bl4ckM0onk3y

Bl4ckM0onk3y in luv 2.0

I will make a statement for the 2k devs, i wont buy this game until they remove that online check protection , i don't have anything about the copy protection, but this is too much.

19. Fophillips

20. Major

Major Guest

Lol, what's the problem if you have a legit CD?

Tags: